IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Rear 350 Brakes with Pics (Pads, Painted and Stickers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 04:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexboi250
thanks guys for another DIY!!

Mike, i can't get enough of those T1S, I really want to get the black ones, but i can't wait 2 month for them!!! But i swear if i get them, my car will be like a mirror version of yours, but white, and black for the rims I might end up getting the black Privat Netz 19's after all, since i don't want to wait
Thanks Mike! You need to paint your caliper to clean them up! I am guessing the dealer isnt going to do much for you and it was easy to do! Looks so much better from the winter and salt here!
Old 04-29-08, 06:25 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Nice write up! After you're done with Little E's car, can you guys drive down to So Cal and do mine?

ps. Cute helper you had there! Did he give his paw of approval?
Elmo sure did, he dipped his paw into the ceramic brake paint and signed off on the deal after he did the initial road test.
Old 04-29-08, 07:11 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks Mike! You need to paint your caliper to clean them up! I am guessing the dealer isnt going to do much for you and it was easy to do! Looks so much better from the winter and salt here!
Actually, I brought it to the dealer last week, and showed it to their service manager, he agreed to have them painted for me (I have to leave the car there over night of course), and he said he’ll paint them silver again. I told him, if you’re gonna paint it, I want it black, and he agreed , so that turned out pretty good
Old 04-29-08, 12:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I brought it to the dealer last week, and showed it to their service manager, he agreed to have them painted for me (I have to leave the car there over night of course), and he said he’ll paint them silver again. I told him, if you’re gonna paint it, I want it black, and he agreed , so that turned out pretty good
Awesome! glad it worked out!! Its going to look so much better
Old 04-29-08, 07:37 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

yeah, especially if i get 19's on that baby, lol
Old 05-03-08, 07:36 AM
5h4n3
Rookie

Did you guys use clearcoat after sticking on the decals? If so, then is it necessary to use high temperature clearcoat or any clearcoat will suffice?
Old 05-03-08, 08:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5h4n3
Did you guys use clearcoat after sticking on the decals? If so, then is it necessary to use high temperature clearcoat or any clearcoat will suffice?
No we didn't use clear coat. I am going to see how they hold up. They are pretty inexpensive to replace. I think when Brain does his car he was going to try it to see for a comparo. I also wanted to see how the white holds up with brake dust and all the other fun things I deal with in IL.
Old 05-03-08, 09:08 AM
5h4n3
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
No we didn't use clear coat. I am going to see how they hold up. They are pretty inexpensive to replace. I think when Brain does his car he was going to try it to see for a comparo. I also wanted to see how the white holds up with brake dust and all the other fun things I deal with in IL.
Ahh, the reason I asked was because I want to get it right the first time round. For me, it's added cost to get those tiny decals shipped over to Singapore. Something like 10 bucks more and not to mention the extra days I have to wait for it to arrive.

Will most definitely go with clear coat when I do mine. High temp or just normal? Any idea?

Btw, good DIY
Old 05-03-08, 09:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5h4n3
Ahh, the reason I asked was because I want to get it right the first time round. For me, it's added cost to get those tiny decals shipped over to Singapore. Something like 10 bucks more and not to mention the extra days I have to wait for it to arrive.

Will most definitely go with clear coat when I do mine. High temp or just normal? Any idea?

Btw, good DIY
I see! Good idea!

I would go with a high temp just to be safe. The caliper paint is high temp so it would make sense to me. I would see what others may have done to make sure!
Old 05-03-08, 09:24 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went ahead and applied my fronts with an epoxy and will see how well the heat and road debris effect it. I am happy with how they look, but the 250 has tiny calipers. The 350 allows for the Lexus logo to really stand out and be seen effectively through the wheel. Definitely a cheap and nice mod along with painting the calipers.
Old 05-03-08, 03:46 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

finally, no more rusted calipers for me!!

Old 05-03-08, 04:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

finally, no more rusted calipers for me!!

Mike that looks really good
Old 05-03-08, 04:17 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

^^ thanks Mike!

I can finally not be embarrassed any more when people ask me about my calipers, hehe

I will put the stickers on once I change to 19's, it will be sometimes next week, can't wait.
Old 03-15-09, 04:52 PM
John Parri
Driver School Candidate

Default Question: Changing Rear Brake Pads

Hi - great write up. I changed my front pads yesteray without any problems. I tried to change the rear pads also, and performed the same steps you describe here, but I could not fit the new outer pads between the disk and the caliper. I expanded the caliper piston as far as it would go, removed the inner pads, etc, but it just would not fit.

I then dropped the caliper by removing the upper mounting bolt and it swung down with ease. I again installed the new inner and outer pads, but when I tried to swing the caliper back into position, again the outer pads would not clear the disk (by a lot, maybe 1/8 inch).

It seems that because there is a single sided piston on the rear caliper (inside), that as the pads wear down the caliper migrates in (towards the inside pad). I just could not figure out how to re-center it so I couls get the rear pads on. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old 07-04-09, 12:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very helpful thead, thank you.
I just installed Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and reviewing this thread first made it that much easier.

steviej

Quick Reply: DIY Rear 350 Brakes with Pics (Pads, Painted and Stickers)