IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Driver's Door" Rattle Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 01:02 PM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Driver's Door" Rattle Fixed!

Okay my car is new and I've read a lot of posts about rattles. So one pops up in what seems to be my driver's door: a high frequency rattle occurring with a bump in the road. Oh, nooooo!

Simple fix--it turns out to be nothing with the door, just sounds like it. The noise is caused by the floor mat retaining hook rattling against the plastic grommet in the floor mat where the hook connects. I just moved the mat a bit and the noise went away.

Whew! No open surgery on my door.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-08, 01:06 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_s
Okay my car is new and I've read a lot of posts about rattles. So one pops up in what seems to be my driver's door: a high frequency rattle occurring with a bump in the road. Oh, nooooo!

Simple fix--it turns out to be nothing with the door, just sounds like it. The noise is caused by the floor mat retaining hook rattling against the plastic grommet in the floor mat where the hook connects. I just moved the mat a bit and the noise went away.

Whew! No open surgery on my door.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the post, these simple fixes will save members time and energy.
Old 04-28-08, 01:06 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a TSIB? lol....i believe it should be added to the list!!

Good find, Good work!
Old 04-28-08, 01:07 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Glad you made that discovery. Thanks for sharing! What kind of mats do you have...all weather?
Old 04-28-08, 01:07 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
Is this a TSIB? lol....i believe it should be added to the list!!

Good find, Good work!
In 2011 when you buy your 350 Richie, chances are all TSIB's will have been performed so no worries!!!
Old 04-28-08, 01:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol...i had to laugh to see Brian231, MLIASON, & Little E hard at work!! HAHA!!

to the OP glad you fixed the problem. Funny how such little things can drive us crazy!

Little E those all weather mats are a pain the ?!?! to get that clip in and out. If I only had the weather you did I wouldnt need to use these mats!!
Old 04-28-08, 01:15 PM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
Glad you made that discovery. Thanks for sharing! What kind of mats do you have...all weather?
No, just the standard Lexus carpet mats that came with the car.
Old 04-28-08, 01:25 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
lol...i had to laugh to see Brian231, MLIASON, & Little E hard at work!! HAHA!!

to the OP glad you fixed the problem. Funny how such little things can drive us crazy!

Little E those all weather mats are a pain the ?!?! to get that clip in and out. If I only had the weather you did I wouldnt need to use these mats!!
I have the all weather rubber mats, and I love them! They work good for me because I tend to collect a lot of rocks in my car from work. I just take out my mats, shake off the rocks, and back in they go. The all weather mats IMO are much easier to keep clean compared to carpet mats.
Old 04-28-08, 01:29 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I have the all weather rubber mats, and I love them! They work good for me because I tend to collect a lot of rocks in my car from work. I just take out my mats, shake off the rocks, and back in they go. The all weather mats IMO are much easier to keep clean compared to carpet mats.
+1 I could not wait to get the all-weather mats this past December. I was ruining my OEM carpeted driver side. I then steam cleaned it and put it in the closet. I think I will run the All-Weather ones year round like most members until the drivers side gets a hole in it from my shoes.
Old 04-28-08, 01:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

but it wears out faster than I expected....
Old 04-28-08, 01:34 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
Kickin8, I knew you were to respond to the wear issue on the all-season mats. One member was able to get a new set before the 1 year warrenty on parts ran out from Lexus. I plan on doing this. I forogt if you were able to get a new set?
Old 04-28-08, 01:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear ya! Do you put the clips in?? those are a pain on the all season mats! I pulled one out a few months back and let me tell you it was so hard to get the clip back into the car floor I hate the look but they serve there purpose for sure!
Old 04-28-08, 01:41 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
I am usually the only one that rides in my car, so the only mat that is gonna get worn out is one my driver's side. Any possibility that can buy the mats individually, or are they just sold by set?

Last edited by Little E; 04-28-08 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 01:43 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I am usually the only one that rides in my car, so the only mat that is gonna get worn out is one my driver's side. Any possibility that can by the mats individually, or are they just sold by set?
Unfortunately just a set, but keep your receipt and if you notice the wear issue, bring it to the parts manager of your dealer. Lexus is aware of this issue and has repleaced all 4 mats for other members for free under the year parts warrenty.
Old 04-28-08, 01:47 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
I hear ya! Do you put the clips in?? those are a pain on the all season mats! I pulled one out a few months back and let me tell you it was so hard to get the clip back into the car floor I hate the look but they serve there purpose for sure!
I know it's not recommended to do this, but it just placed my all weather mats on top of carpeted mats (yes I know I am gonna end up with dents in my carpet mats). So therefore, my all weather mats are in the clips far enough to stay in place, but not far enough to be a pain to pull out.

Quick Reply: "Driver's Door" Rattle Fixed!