IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who Here Does not Have TPMS in wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 11:52 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who Here Does not Have TPMS in wheels?

I put up a thread regarding a Pipe Bomb for TPMS sensors. A big issue regarding saftey came up so, My question is how many people here have aftermarket wheels without their TPMS in side of them and in either a bomb, spare tire or wheel barrow tire. thanks.
Old 05-06-08, 12:21 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

I dont....

....Middle East spec FTW!!!!!!!!! our car dont come with TPMS. haha
pointless response i know
Old 05-06-08, 12:23 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh this reminds me... I have to crack open my failed bomb to retrieve my sensors.
Old 05-06-08, 12:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have tpms in my spare, what 'safety' are you talking about??? tons of cars dont have tpms and their not 'unsafe'... or are you confusing 'safety' with 'being lazy not checking your tire pressure'?
Old 05-06-08, 12:29 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Ugh this reminds me... I have to crack open my failed bomb to retrieve my sensors.
Hey Hartawan you are running 20's right. Can you tell me the specs on your rims and tires if you don't mind. So I take it you are going to make another bomb?
Old 05-06-08, 12:31 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shhhhhh you guys!! Dont talk about bombs, we're in the middle of a religious war!
Old 05-06-08, 12:32 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i have tpms in my spare, what 'safety' are you talking about??? tons of cars dont have tpms and their not 'unsafe'... or are you confusing 'safety' with 'being lazy not checking your tire pressure'?
I can't remeber who informned on it that if your car is equiped with TPMS and you remove it and you get into an accident causing injury to you and others and investigations occur and the reason was because of your blow out because you were not aware that your tire pressure was to low that you can get into serious trouble.
Old 05-06-08, 12:33 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
shhhhhh you guys!! Dont talk about bombs, we're in the middle of a religious war!
ooopppsss my bad.
Old 05-06-08, 01:00 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RobJo350
I can't remeber who informned on it that if your car is equiped with TPMS and you remove it and you get into an accident causing injury to you and others and investigations occur and the reason was because of your blow out because you were not aware that your tire pressure was to low that you can get into serious trouble.
aka being lazy and not checking ur tire pressure!!!
Old 05-06-08, 01:17 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ndk83
aka being lazy and not checking ur tire pressure!!!
not neccessarily because I had a puncture on the rear tire and within 30 mins all the air was gone. Good thing I had my sensors. but my point is that even if you check air pressure there are times that this could happen. now what if I had my sensors in the bomb at that time and I did not know that my tire was leaking as I was going on that trip then what......I just wanted to get a count on how many here are running bombs for their sensors.
Old 05-06-08, 01:28 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Well we all lived without TPMS before... it's nice safety feature but I think we can live without them
Old 05-06-08, 03:01 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Not to go over it again, but the other thread clearly explains the whole purpose of mandating TMPS starting in 2004 was for safety, i.e., underinflated tires heating up and causing a blow out (especially in a hot climate like Hawaii).

A slow leak can crop up at any time while driving, unless you’re going to pull over every ten minutes to check with a gauge. Assuming none of us do that, we all must be lazy.
Old 05-06-08, 06:21 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

the pipes usually leak if not made and sealed properly. Just have them put into the wheels whether its with the Valve adaptors or the strap method.
Old 05-07-08, 05:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Well we all lived without TPMS before... it's nice safety feature but I think we can live without them
By that logic, the same thing could be said of seat belts. Up until 1968, they were optional equipment and many people bought cars without them.

With respect to TPMS: Back in the days when /80 aspect ratio tires were the norm and /60 were considered low profile, you could see when tires were getting low on air from 20 paces away. But with today's low profile rubber, e.g. /40 from the factory on my IS350 and even shorter aftermarket, a tire can get dangerously low and still look pretty much fine.
Old 05-07-08, 09:51 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
By that logic, the same thing could be said of seat belts. Up until 1968, they were optional equipment and many people bought cars without them.
Yes, and as mentioned in the other thread, besides seat belts we can simply go back to the days when there were no:

• Air bags
• Collapsible steering columns
• Duel brake lines and brake system warning lights
• Pop-out windshields
• Safety glass
• Third brake lights
• Padded dashes
• Turn signals*

* When I learned to drive (circa 1953) turn signals were still a dealer installed option on most cars, so we were taught to open the driver’s window, stick our left arm out and signal a right or left turn.

Quick Reply: Who Here Does not Have TPMS in wheels?