IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I Know Volk OZ Work BBS Are Ideal, But Are Wheel Brands like TSW cheap or a go????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 04:02 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Know Volk OZ Work BBS Are Ideal, But Are Wheel Brands like TSW cheap or a go????

I know the ideal way to go for any performance vehicle let alone my IS350 are lightweight / forged wheels for their performance attributes. In my personal opinion, going with heavy chrome type wheels is a complete waste on a performance car, as the end result you will be affecting negatively the performance of the vehicle. However, I do realize there are 2 schools of thought. People going for the flossy, Player, Baller style look as opposed to performance in mind, ie IS250 owners with chrome 20's. But for the performance in the IS350, wheel weight/performance should be taken into considertation as chrome make the wheels super heavy.

I know wheels like Volk, Work, OZ, and BBS are the ideal quality of wheel for performance cars, but I am trying to stay away from spending $4000 for wheels this time around. My last set were $3700 for forged, 3pc Volks for my 97 Supra TT. Although I did like them and they were extremely lightweight, they happened to be weak and prone to bending even though they were forged. I was not happy.

I know ppl in this forum probably are going to say you drive a $40k car and so I should have wheels accordingly, but I am kind of tired of spending $4k on wheels that from my experience do not constitute the high price.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, are lower echelon wheels like TSW high quality AND lightweight? I've never owned "cheap" wheels. I always see those brands on Tirerack, Discounttire and wondered if they were any good. Wheels like Enkei, Motegi, Axis etc?? I guess knowing what they weigh in a 19" would be a good start. Does anybody know? Or have any recommendations on wheels that are high quality and lightweight without shelling out $3-4K?

Or should I just get the 18" Lexus G Spyders and call it a day!

Last edited by S to the K; 05-10-08 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 04:44 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S to the K
I know the ideal way to go for any performance vehicle let alone my IS350 are lightweight / forged wheels for their performance attributes. In my personal opinion, going with heavy chrome type wheels is a complete waste on a performance car, as the end result you will be affecting negatively the performance of the vehicle. However, I do realize there are 2 schools of thought. People going for the flossy, Player, Baller style look as opposed to performance in mind, ie IS250 owners with chrome 20's. But in an IS350, wheel weight/performance should be taken into considertation as chrome make the wheels super heavy.

I know wheels like Volk, Work, OZ, and BBS are the ideal quality of wheel for performance cars, but I am trying to stay away from spending $4000 for wheels this time around. My last set were $3700 for forged, 3pc Volks for my 97 Supra TT. Although I did like them and they were extremely lightweight, they happened to be weak and prone to bending even though they were forged. I was not happy.

I know ppl in this forum probably are going to say you drive a $40k car and so I should have wheels accordingly, but I am kind of tired of spending $4k on wheels that from my experience do not constitute the high price.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, are lower echelon wheels like TSW high quality AND lightweight? I've never owned "cheap" wheels. I always see those brands on Tirerack, Discounttire and wondered if they were any good. Wheels like Enkei, Motegi, Axis etc?? I guess knowing what they weigh in a 19" would be a good start. Does anybody know? Or have any recommendations on wheels that are high quality and lightweight without shelling out $3-4K?

Or should I just get the 18" Lexus G Spyders and call it a day!

I like this post very much as I too am cosidering some "cheaper" brands. I would like to know some of the forum's oppinion. Thanks!
Old 05-10-08, 04:54 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

the g-spiders are heavier than stock 18s, so I wouldn't go that route.

What style of wheel are you going for?

I got my Work's for much less than 4k....
Old 05-10-08, 05:03 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine

Hey FiveOhNine,

You got the Work XT7s, right? I like those wheels. I wished they came in 19s. I also like the XC8s. Can you tell me where you bought your wheels from? Thanks!
Old 05-10-08, 05:04 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

D2 Autosport. great service and price!
Old 05-10-08, 05:15 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Right. I know G Spyders are slightly heavier than stock, but 19's in even "premium brands" will weigh that much as well. G Spyders would be the "compromise" wheel if I don't go aftermarket. I like them, but wish they were 19's. That mesh look needs to be in a bigger wheel! I'm looking to see if there are any high quality, lightweight wheels for a price preferably around $1k ish or somewhere pretty close to that. Is that reasonable or doable?

Last edited by S to the K; 05-10-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 05:18 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S to the K
Right, I know G Spyders are slightly heavier than stock, but 19's in even "premium brands" will weigh that much as well. G Spyders would be the "compromise" wheel if I don't go aftermarket. I like them, but wish they were 19's. That mesh look needs to be in a bigger wheel! I'm looking to see if there are any high quality, lightweight wheels for a price preferably around $1k ish or somewhere pretty close to that. Is that reasonable or doable?
Not necessarily. There a plenty of nice 19's that come in at or under 25 lbs or so.

1k might be a little low, but you can probably find some nice 18's or 19's, keep the weight low and spend under 2k.

I saw PIAA forged mesh wheels for about $1800 awhile back.
Old 05-10-08, 05:24 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Not necessarily. There a plenty of nice 19's that come in at or under 25 lbs or so.

1k might be a little low, but you can probably find some nice 18's or 19's, keep the weight low and spend under 2k.

I saw PIAA forged mesh wheels for about $1800 awhile back.
Yeah, I figured as much. More like $1.5k - $2k at the very most. Do you know if TSW wheels are lightweight? Their website, like most other "cheap" wheel websites, have no mention of weight. The TSW Croft's caught my eye. Maybe, Maybe not. I would have to see it on a car.
Old 05-10-08, 05:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think for 2k you can find a nice rim/tire set up. The OEM rims are going to be around that price so IMO I would go with a 19" setup. I guess another option I think FiveohNine used his tires to wear them out before he purchases a new set. So if you want to stick with 18" and just go with a wider rim thats an option also then you can swap for new tires down the road and help out from paying so much all at once?

Another option is to keep searching the classified section and get a used set of great rims from another member?? Seems like there is all kinds of stuff for sale in here.

Or check with the Vendor like FiveohNine mentioned and I am sure they will help you find something that fits your budget and makes you happy with your purchase decision!

Good Luck!
Mike
Old 05-10-08, 05:42 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I think for 2k you can find a nice rim/tire set up. The OEM rims are going to be around that price so IMO I would go with a 19" setup. I guess another option I think FiveohNine used his tires to wear them out before he purchases a new set. So if you want to stick with 18" and just go with a wider rim thats an option also then you can swap for new tires down the road and help out from paying so much all at once?

Another option is to keep searching the classified section and get a used set of great rims from another member?? Seems like there is all kinds of stuff for sale in here.

Or check with the Vendor like FiveohNine mentioned and I am sure they will help you find something that fits your budget and makes you happy with your purchase decision!

Good Luck!
Mike
I just purchased my IS350 and have new stock tires. They are Michelin All Season ZR tires and from what I've read, they last 30-40k miles! That's crazy! If I wanted to go OEM, I planned on purchashing the G Spyders and put these tires on those, then sell the 18" stockers and be set. If I can't find a reasonable priced set of aftermarket wheels and tires that have the right look, I probably will go the OEM route. Those Work wheels you're fading are really nice. It seems like a grip of ppl in this forum have those wheels!

Last edited by S to the K; 05-10-08 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 06:10 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Work wheels are awesome and I didnt think they cost that much either. Should be close to the cost of the OEM route, PM me and I'll give you a site to use where I think has awesome price for the XT7.
Old 05-10-08, 10:55 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

iv also had musings on this. I've been looking at Tenzo R's new line up of rims and some of them, the DC6 and Type M, are pretty sweet. I don't know about quality, and in terms of 'street cred' you'd get pretty much nothing, but if they look good and are built well, then why not?
Old 05-11-08, 12:04 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Great points....I have MRRs GT-1 and I got them for $1,800 from a local owner with 1k on them but for new you should plan on dishing out $2,200 with tires.
Old 05-11-08, 07:08 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Would you consider used?... Ive seen some great deals--some with tires--that can be bought for 2500 or so...
Old 05-11-08, 07:15 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

For $2000 there are six Advan wheels available.

Quick Reply: I Know Volk OZ Work BBS Are Ideal, But Are Wheel Brands like TSW cheap or a go????