IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 05:31 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Honestly I got so fed up with the complexity of this factory unit that I'm going around to audio shops for quotes on a custom dash piece for an aftermarket unit. Plus I don't like the fact that the factory unit turns down the bass level as the volume increases.
YES YES YES I Thought I was the only one to notice that!

Ok so I'm not going crazy . . .

I hate how Toyota wants control of everything such as navigation and sound system so we get screwed on aftermarket parts compatibility.

If I ever think I'm bored with the car and I have the money to spend, I'll go for a complete audio and video install. I'm looking at $5-6k for everything. Custom enclosures and all . . .
Old 05-14-08, 06:11 AM
suorum
Pole Position

OK people....I think here we are facing a problem that it is called "lack of information". I have seen many people going into SERIOUS SQ set-ups without changing the OEM unit. THAT'S WHY RF, JL AND OTHERS DEVELOPED LOC with high tunning capabilities. This way you are able to bypass the set up coming from the HU and do your custom tunning through the LOC unit. Now Cleansweep, LC8 and 3Sixty.1/2 are more than a simple LOC. They are digital sound processor people (3Sixto.2 being the BEST IMO). Do you think you will get a perfect sound quality with a $500-700 unit? FAIL!!!! You still need to get a sound processor over any HU to go into serious SQ set-ups. So don't be biassed by the parameters you can tune on your NAV SCREEN or standard screen (NO NAV). You will tune your system up through the DSP (via bluetooth using your laptop in the case of the 3Sixty.1 unit).
Here the webpage of the 3sixty.1 unit.....

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...status=current

READ THROUGH THE SPECS AND AFTER THAT TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.

You gotta realized that most of the time sales guys at the audio shop want to do their job.......TO SELL!!!!! They do not love your car they just love your money.
Old 05-14-08, 11:48 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

I agree with you suorum. The audio shop kept telling me that an aftermarket head unit will make a world of a difference & then they started telling me how I should buy new amps as well. Afterwards I talked to an audio expert & he told me the exact same thing you said. I will install everything with the LOC8 & hope it sounds good enough.
Old 05-16-08, 05:33 AM
suorum
Pole Position

I'm glad you finally convince yourself to go the right way!! Let us know how everything end up!! PICS!
Old 05-17-08, 07:04 AM
is_elf
Driver

Well I had my OEM deck and used I think it was the audio control Ldci or something like that and now...I use a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X991 and it sounds so much better than my OEM. I have better control and the highs and mids sound so much better. The bass sounds the same maybe a bit sharper but where I notice it the most is in the highs and mids. They now scream where before it was a wine.
Old 05-17-08, 09:33 AM
suorum
Pole Position

one thing here is tunning your audio system and the other one is power. Depending on the combination power/speaker's specs you will get different quality at different levels. Now, some of the LOC units that you have out there are just a LOC and not a tunning device. It seems that your case was that one. NO sound processing at all.
You want quality (SQ for real) you gotta go further than focuse your attention on the HU.
Old 05-17-08, 09:31 PM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

First, i'd like to agree with what Suorum has to say. Because of how picky Lexus audio is you CANNOT go cheap if you want to keep your OEM HU. Either switch out the OEM HU or go with a processor with TUNING capabilities. RF/JL/AC are all good products but, I went with the Audio Control DQL-8

My car is almost done in it's final stages of tuning with the Audio Control SA-3055 SE left to go. I have the Audio Control DQL-8 installed paired up with the OEM NAV HU w/o ML and the car sounds PHENOMENAL and i'm just in the starting stages of fine tuning. The DQL-8 makes it so you can adjust all the speakers in the car while digitally processing it. It is definitely possible to get a CLEAN sound from the OEM HU without changing the OEM HU - it really comes down to your audiophile level and how much you want to spend.

I won't get into the real technical issues as your audio store should explain everything...if they cannot, then go somewhere else that has more experience with OEM setups.

If anyone is in the 818 area and want to hear my setup/have any questions shoot me a PM and i'll prove to you how clean an OEM HU setup can be.

I'm going to say it again, Lexus audio is EXTREMELY picky!
Pretty much go BIG or go HOME (if you're planing on going with an OEM HU setup).

-ByoungWoo
Old 05-17-08, 11:47 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ByoungWoo
First, i'd like to agree with what Suorum has to say. Because of how picky Lexus audio is you CANNOT go cheap if you want to keep your OEM HU. Either switch out the OEM HU or go with a processor with TUNING capabilities. RF/JL/AC are all good products but, I went with the Audio Control DQL-8

My car is almost done in it's final stages of tuning with the Audio Control SA-3055 SE left to go. I have the Audio Control DQL-8 installed paired up with the OEM NAV HU w/o ML and the car sounds PHENOMENAL and i'm just in the starting stages of fine tuning. The DQL-8 makes it so you can adjust all the speakers in the car while digitally processing it. It is definitely possible to get a CLEAN sound from the OEM HU without changing the OEM HU - it really comes down to your audiophile level and how much you want to spend.

I won't get into the real technical issues as your audio store should explain everything...if they cannot, then go somewhere else that has more experience with OEM setups.

If anyone is in the 818 area and want to hear my setup/have any questions shoot me a PM and i'll prove to you how clean an OEM HU setup can be.

I'm going to say it again, Lexus audio is EXTREMELY picky!
Pretty much go BIG or go HOME (if you're planing on going with an OEM HU setup).

-ByoungWoo
I'm thinking about keeping the stock HU as well. How much is your setup?
Old 05-18-08, 12:33 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm thinking about keeping the stock HU as well. How much is your setup?
PM me and i'll let you know what you need and what I did.
Old 05-21-08, 10:06 AM
haze
Driver School Candidate

as a delayed follow, i had the tweeters mounted to the 3.5" speaker slot in the door since it doesnt fit in the factory location. Probably not the most acoustically convenient location, but didn't want anything sticking out.
Old 05-21-08, 10:10 AM
haze
Driver School Candidate

And yes, there is no dimming at all. I initially had (2) 1 farads ready but only needed to use one.

The setup I have sounds much better then stock, but it is no where near its capability. I just dont have the time or means to tune it and cut out the small glitches. I agree with Byoungwoo. Don't attempt this setup unless you have a lot of time and an experienced installer.