IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: So, what color would match the best?
Red
34.19%
Black
39.35%
Silver/Gray
5.81%
Blue
12.90%
Gold
3.23%
Other color: Please specify
1.29%
Leave it stock
3.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

What color for my Black IS350 brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 02:25 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pick of Passnu2's 350 after we finished the painting and log instal.

Old 05-13-08, 03:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
+1 Passnu2 that looks hot My vote is BLK
Old 05-13-08, 04:30 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk_is300
IMO, since you have silver wheels and white decals, I would go with black or gunmetal calipers, unless you want to go with a set of different color rims in the future.

I'm having my mechanic paint my calipers today while installing my coilovers, I have a crystal white IS350 with black wheels so I asked him to paint my calipers silver with black decals (still on order), not going to be too flashy but you can see a good contrast between the calipers and the wheels. I'm not a big fan of red, yellow, or blue calipers anymore (unless it's a real BBK), I used to paint them red for my previous cars but I got tired of them for being standing out way too much on my car. I'm going for a more high end look.

I recommend you to take off your calipers and "spray paint" them, I had experience with "brush-on" ones but they don't come out that nice. Also get a bottle of engine enamel clear coat other than the color paint, it'll give you a solid shinny look! I'll post some pictures once I get my car back.
thanks for your advice. but I heard that the spray paint wont give a lot of shine compared to the brush. Someone here recommended me using the brush method, and I know passnu&brian (the brothers) used brush and it came out nice too.

so I'm confused now..which one is better actually
Old 05-13-08, 05:08 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
thanks for your advice. but I heard that the spray paint wont give a lot of shine compared to the brush. Someone here recommended me using the brush method, and I know passnu&brian (the brothers) used brush and it came out nice too.

so I'm confused now..which one is better actually
I would use the Duplicolor kit. If you use engine paint, it will be rubbery and attract too much brake dust. I learned that ceramic based paint is the best.
Old 05-13-08, 05:38 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
I would use the Duplicolor kit. If you use engine paint, it will be rubbery and attract too much brake dust. I learned that ceramic based paint is the best.
yea..duplicolor is probably the best. but there are 2 types..one is brush paint (I believe this is the one you and passnu use) and the other one is spray paint (which a member above recommend for more shine)
Old 05-13-08, 08:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The spray on doesnt hold up! Duplicolor seems to work for a few of us but I am sure any brush on would do the job. I would get a 1" brush when you get the kit as it does a better job applying the paint and makes it much quicker! I am going to use the left over on my wifes car this weekend if weather permits. I am very happy with it and I have had no issues with the white sickers and the lovely brake dust!!

Brothers haha...good thing I got the looks j/k
Old 05-13-08, 10:27 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
The spray on doesnt hold up! Duplicolor seems to work for a few of us but I am sure any brush on would do the job. I would get a 1" brush when you get the kit as it does a better job applying the paint and makes it much quicker! I am going to use the left over on my wifes car this weekend if weather permits. I am very happy with it and I have had no issues with the white sickers and the lovely brake dust!!

Brothers haha...good thing I got the looks j/k
I think I'm getting the brush paint then..my local pepboys sell a duplicolor kit..it also includes a brush with it so I guess I don;t need to buy a separate brush.

and yea..95% I will paint it black!! red is too funky for a sedan IMO.. if I have a 2 seater coupe, I would do red
Old 05-13-08, 10:46 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
I think I'm getting the brush paint then..my local pepboys sell a duplicolor kit..it also includes a brush with it so I guess I don;t need to buy a separate brush.

and yea..95% I will paint it black!! red is too funky for a sedan IMO.. if I have a 2 seater coupe, I would do red
yo~when are you doing urs??
are you gonna take it to the shop?? or do it yourself?
Old 05-13-08, 10:50 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
yo~when are you doing urs??
are you gonna take it to the shop?? or do it yourself?
i want to do it myself, but don't have the space and tools. if I bring it to a shop, they would charge 100 bucks

are you planning to paint yours too, seoul?

btw, judging from your name, are you from korea?
Old 05-14-08, 12:59 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

On second thought!

I'd say--go with

Red:

Old 05-14-08, 04:05 AM
ISWillie
Rookie

That is absolutely HAWT!! Not just the calipers, but the wheels, the black, the ride height... OH OH OH!!!

Old 05-14-08, 09:52 AM
smpzone
Driver School Candidate

you could also try G2 caliper paint kit for more glossy look. little more expensive.
Old 05-14-08, 11:56 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, on my IS300 I used the G2 brush on kit. It's a 2 part paint, which probably makes it a bit more tough. I had this paint on there for about 4 years, no issues even when using spray on wheel cleaner. I did put a spray on clear coat, but it was still shiny without that.

On my IS350, I used duplicor ceramic spray paint, which says it's made for calipers. I've only had this on for a month or so...so I cannot comment on how well it holds up. I can say it is very shiny.

I do believe the brush on stuff was a bit harder to work with than the spray on...but with the spray on you need to worry about overspray (easily fixed with a clay bar).
Old 05-15-08, 12:46 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

As promised, here are some pictures that I took when my car was at the alignment shop today after installing a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro Five coilovers and calipers painted. I'm not sure how many coats my mechanic put on these calipers, but I think they came out pretty good! My guy did a good job on it. Again these spray-on caliper paint plus clear engine enamel. My black decals for the front calipers are not here yet, so they look kinda plain. I wish the rear calipers can be just a little bigger so I can put at least a Lexus logo on them.

The best thing about brush on paint is that anyone can do it without that many tools, all you have to do is take off your wheels and start cleaning and brush painting. A lot easier to manage, no need for masking and taking brake apart. Anyways, enjoy!

Old 05-15-08, 02:26 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I found the spray on paints to be messy, uneven and required massive touch-ups twice a year due to rock chips and brake dust. Looks like everyone has expereienced good luck with the paint on types. I heard the two step clear coat to work well, but I have not used this yet.

Quick Reply: What color for my Black IS350 brake calipers?