IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: So, what color would match the best?
Red
34.19%
Black
39.35%
Silver/Gray
5.81%
Blue
12.90%
Gold
3.23%
Other color: Please specify
1.29%
Leave it stock
3.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

What color for my Black IS350 brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 12:04 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, you CAN use 1 kit for all 4 brakes, depends on your painting skills, the rear brakes are SMALL anyways and i may just end up not doing them, that metal plate under the caliper part looks like its gonna be a b1tch to tape...

pics: well ive recently formatted my main c: drive and still have to look in piles of crap in my room for program disks...

placement of jackstands: hahaha they have that Y shape, i just put the tips of the Y right on the rail where your supposed to, yes its a mangled and bent to hell but... there supposed to get all mangled and bent to hell anyways
Old 05-17-08, 01:00 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
wow..do you want to meet up and do together? since you have the tools..I will supply the drinks how's that?

rear caliper sticker.. i bought it from flatlinegraphix..I guess they are the only one that makes for rear
yo~when are you guys planning on doing this??
hm..damn..gotta go down to SoCal this coming Thursday and won't be
back until June 17... Summer BREAK!! lol

if you guys can't wait, then I guess I'll just do it when I'm in LA..
keep me updated tho
Old 05-17-08, 01:15 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

BTW..when you go to the site to order the LEXUS decal,
it says that it's for IS300..
will that also fit our IS250/350??
Old 05-17-08, 01:23 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

llama...pics pics pics...
Old 05-17-08, 01:59 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
BTW..when you go to the site to order the LEXUS decal,
it says that it's for IS300..
will that also fit our IS250/350??
there is one for IS350 on the very top of the list...dont scroll down to IS300..

i'm free up to 13 june..if smokyis350 wants to do it together then i'm in..
Old 05-17-08, 10:45 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I am willing to do it when it cools down. its way too hot to do this type of stuff right now. where you guys live at? I live in the city

It is alot of work to do 3 cars at one time. Unless you guys got 3 seperate jacks and a huge garage. because we need to wait for it to dry and put 2nd coating.

does flatline sell front calipers too? That says just lexus on it? How much do they charge?
Old 05-17-08, 11:34 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I am willing to do it when it cools down. its way too hot to do this type of stuff right now. where you guys live at? I live in the city
what city? I live in santa clara, close to san jose and cupertino.

It is alot of work to do 3 cars at one time. Unless you guys got 3 seperate jacks and a huge garage. because we need to wait for it to dry and put 2nd coating.

does flatline sell front calipers too? That says just lexus on it? How much do they charge?
well..i dont have a garage since i live in an apt..what about you, smoky?
about the jacks..does our car come with one? if yes, then it's in my trunk. if not then i dont have one. but I can borrow my friend's though..

yes, flatline sells the front too. it just says lexus on it. They charge less than 10 bucks. I have a spare for front (IS350 size), you can have it if you want. but you got to help me out on the painting lol.
Old 05-17-08, 07:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the kit has plenty of paint. I painted the calipers on my wifes car today and still have over half a can left. I am almost out of the caliper cleaner spray that was part of the kit. I really am happy with the Duplicolor kit (Black) that I used on both cars now!
Old 05-17-08, 07:41 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

seems like flatline dont reply to their email that fast. there is a jack that came with the car but its BS.

Anyone know where the jacking point is? Or the engine block?

I have 2 rolls of masking tape and i have 3 brushes. I only have 1 can of brake cleaners though. I live in the city man, you will seriously drive down here to just get your caliper painted? I am no professional though. This is my first time painting my calipers.
Old 05-17-08, 09:47 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

seems like flatline dont reply to their email that fast. there is a jack that came with the car but its BS.

I have 2 rolls of masking tape and i have 3 brushes. I only have 1 can of brake cleaners though. I live in the city man, you will seriously drive down here to just get your caliper painted? I am no professional though. This is my first time painting my calipers.
city you mean san francisco?? i dont think you need a masking tape if you use the brush type
Old 05-17-08, 09:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff at Flatline took sometime to reply to my email also. Just give it some more time.

I dint use tape on mine? I think you are okay. Just take your time...using the 1" paint brush makes it go on much nicer and quicker then that little brush thats in the kit.

the jack points you well see and you can look in the owners manual for reference. you can also use the frame of the car and go farther in. If you need help I would post in your regional section and I am sure someone will help you out. Its not that hard and takes minimal time.
Old 05-18-08, 12:09 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... no, not the frame of the car, you can~~~ but i wouldnt, the frame of the car is ment for fore/aft stresses not for putting the weight of the car on it in a up/down type stress... *sorry if cant word that right*...

I have/used 2 hyd jacks for the car first, one to lift it on one side so i could fit the large jack under the front to the crossmember (car is too low for the big jack), then i jacked the car with the main jack, put the jackstand where the jacking point is on the side

yes the jackstand is in a Y shape and if you put it the way it looks like it should go it will stick out on the side onto the skirt and probally damage it, so i just put the Y part right on the metal rail that sticks down, yes you will smash it and it'll look all fk'd but thats what you want, of course keep the big jack under the crossmember. I know this difficult to understand for a first timer but guys who've been modding (doing it themselves) for a while will understand.

COURSE i could just drive up on a couple of 2x4's to fit the big jack BUT... i'd need a 4x4 cuz im so low, thus the 2 hyd jack method, since i got 2 anyways.
Old 05-19-08, 12:11 PM
josh250
Lead Lap

i'm saying black to
Old 05-21-08, 12:41 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Black is cool, for stock caliper.... GLOSSY & Flossy
Old 05-23-08, 03:19 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blk_is300
As promised, here are some pictures that I took when my car was at the alignment shop today after installing a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro Five coilovers and calipers painted. I'm not sure how many coats my mechanic put on these calipers, but I think they came out pretty good! My guy did a good job on it. Again these spray-on caliper paint plus clear engine enamel. My black decals for the front calipers are not here yet, so they look kinda plain. I wish the rear calipers can be just a little bigger so I can put at least a Lexus logo on them.

The best thing about brush on paint is that anyone can do it without that many tools, all you have to do is take off your wheels and start cleaning and brush painting. A lot easier to manage, no need for masking and taking brake apart. Anyways, enjoy!

Got a question! how come my brakes don't look like this??
my front brake isn't FLAT like this one..it looks different
so I don't think I can put any decal on it cuz there is a gap/hole
whatever you wanna call it right in the middle...
is that because I have 250????

Quick Reply: What color for my Black IS350 brake calipers?