IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I lost my keyfob. If a thief finds it, they can use the hard key to break in, right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 01:48 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Get The Club.
LOL

Get the locks all re-keyed and you should be find. Have the dealership removed the keyfob code that is missing out of the ECU.
Old 05-13-08, 02:09 PM
is250omer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks, sorry to this

When I had my jetta, I thought I lost my fob so I phoned vw about replacing it & it would cost me over $300 buxs(probably alot more now) lucky it was found by worker at the movie theatre & got it back...the guy behind the desk didn't even know it was a car key b/c it looks just like lexus fob w/ flip out key blade

Did you find out what the cost would be to get a new fob & reprogram locks??
Old 05-13-08, 04:15 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

yah just get it reprogrammed and make sure you don't have any holes in your pocket lol... and if you are still scared get this forget the club http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyRVeKWVBIM
Old 05-13-08, 04:51 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

IMO I think you might have it somewhere in the office. Why, because if it was lost out in the parking lot and it was the only lexus around. I think they would have figured out the lock and unlock button and already ransacked the car by the time he go back to the car after work.

Just double check your workplace.

Good luck Reyngel
Old 05-13-08, 05:22 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

my 2 cents:

1. A nice honest person finds it, he will try to locate the owner. Honestly, not everyone looks around for a Lexus or pays attention to one. Maybe once he/she finds the key, than they will pay more attention to it.

2 A dishonest person finds it....well I would think he put that on ebay first and see if he can get quick buck from it. Not everyone is brave enough to actually break into a car just because they found a key.

Put yourself in their position; if you find a Lexus key, what would be the first thing that comes to mind, break and entering? Wonder how much this is worth on ebay/craigslist? or I wonder if the owner is looking for it.

Last edited by hihi410; 05-13-08 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:35 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if you get the car reprogrammed you will still only have ONE key fob, and then if you lose that one you are really in deep doo-doo. So think about that. I suspect the key is in your office somewhere; keep looking and asking around. It'll probably show up in a crack or drawer somewhere. I wouldn't run out today and have the key changed.
Old 05-13-08, 07:17 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

See, even if I reprogram the keyfob, I'm still left with the problem of being vulerable to a break in. They may not be able to steal the car, but just thought of someone having easy access to my car sucks. I'll never be able to leave anything in the trunk or glovebox again.

I'm hoping it turns up in the next day or two. I asked lots and lots of people, but no luck yet. If I don't find it, then here's what I'm looking at having to do to get it all cleared up:

-Get all 4 locks changed: driver's door, passenger's door, glove box and trunk

-Get two new hard keys cut

-Get a new second key fob

-Get the new second key fob reprogrammed

-Get my current backup keyfob reprogrammed

Ridiculous.
Old 05-13-08, 08:06 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous? It's even worse if you lost a conventional key... I think at this point, you are so paranoid that you need to change all your locks for peace of mind...
Old 05-13-08, 08:23 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
-Get all 4 locks changed: driver's door, passenger's door, glove box and trunk
As I posted earlier, only 3. The passenger door doesn't have a mechanical key. See page 48 in the owners manual.
Old 05-13-08, 09:49 PM
Immaterial
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rfx45
Plus most people doesn't even know there is a hidden key hole in the door. It's still better to be safe than sorry though.
There is a hidden key hole in the door?!?!?!
Old 05-14-08, 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyway--why's this any different than if you had a normal key, and a normal key fob? As sirkfc noted, it would be worse--here, if you get the fob reprogramed, they can only access your car, and not drive off with it.
Old 05-14-08, 04:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Immaterial
There is a hidden key hole in the door?!?!?!
Yes, and I highly recommend you read the section in the owners manual that talks about it. Should the battery on your key fob die suddenly, you'll need to know how to unlock the car with the mechanical key. At which time your owners manual will be in the glove box of your locked car...
Old 05-14-08, 06:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were this paranoid about it, I would just get an aftermarket alarm.
Old 05-14-08, 06:44 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Yes, and I highly recommend you read the section in the owners manual that talks about it. Should the battery on your key fob die suddenly, you'll need to know how to unlock the car with the mechanical key. At which time your owners manual will be in the glove box of your locked car...
Yes, and it will be at midnight in strange part of town with it pouring down rain. These things always happen at the most inappropriate time. Ten minutes reviewing the procedure and doing a dry run in the comfort of your own garage or driveway with the manual in your hands is worth the effort. I also keep a spare fob battery in the console so once I open the door with the manual key I can replace the battery in the event I'm travelling away from home.
Old 05-14-08, 10:40 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Just get it reprogrammed and give the people in your area a benefit of a doubt. If someone finds your key, most people wouldn't try and steal anything in your car. I say 95% 9probably 99%) of the people that finds the key either returns it or just ignores it or just keep it for the heck of it.

You've pretty much weighted in your options and it's up to you what you want to do or how much you want to spend. There doesn't seem to be anyway around it either. Living in paranoia is not a good thing so as a friendly advice, make your decision and go on with your life. I didn't mean that to sound in rude way, just giving a simple advice.

Ironically, this was the advertisement when I was looking at this thread.

Quick Reply: I lost my keyfob. If a thief finds it, they can use the hard key to break in, right?