IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I lost my keyfob. If a thief finds it, they can use the hard key to break in, right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 10:38 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I lost my keyfob. If a thief finds it, they can use the hard key to break in, right?

Damnit. So I lost my keyfob while at work today. The last time I had it on me for sure was while I was pressing the door handle button to lock the car. The keyfob should have been in my pocket.

I went back to my car two hours later, and the door wouldn't open. I realized the keyfob was no longer in my pocket.

I looked around on the ground, I looked at work, I even asked people if they had seen it... nothing.

I walked home(I don't live too far away) and got the spare, then drove the car home just to be safe.

Okay, so, what do I do?

I can get my keyfob reprogrammed, yes. But if someone finds the original keyfob, can't they just use the hard key to break in whenever they want?

Does that mean I have to change the key locks, too? That seems crazy expensive... one on each door, and the glove box.

Any advice?
Old 05-13-08, 10:53 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a key hole in all four doors? I thought there was just one, in the driver side?
Old 05-13-08, 10:54 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Talk to your dealer...

and why does it have to be a thief? maybe an honest person will find it and return it, i doubt there going to go check every lexus to see if the door opens, people have better things to do. unlesssss youre the only one who has a lexus around where you live, then you might be out of luck.

good luck
Old 05-13-08, 10:58 AM
solspeed
Driver

there one on the driver side and passenger . Maybe you should try to talk to the dealership to reprogram your keyfobs and the car , it shouldnt be a problems since they knew this could be an issue if the owner accidentaly lost their keys, things happens and losing a keys is one of them.
Old 05-13-08, 11:02 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus most people doesn't even know there is a hidden key hole in the door. It's still better to be safe than sorry though.
Old 05-13-08, 11:03 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Talk to your dealer...

and why does it have to be a thief? maybe an honest person will find it and return it, i doubt there going to go check every lexus to see if the door opens, people have better things to do. unlesssss youre the only one who has a lexus around where you live, then you might be out of luck.

good luck

Unfortunately, I'm the only one where I work or in the surrounding neighborhood who owns a Lexus. I don't mean just an IS... but I'm the only only one who owns a Lexus of ANY kind.

I will be getting the key reprogrammed... but that's not really my major concern. My major concern is that after I get it reprogrammed, I'm still prone to the finder of my keyfob breaking into the car via the hard key. They can't start the car, but they can get inside.

Right?
Old 05-13-08, 11:06 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rfx45
Plus most people doesn't even know there is a hidden key hole in the door. It's still better to be safe than sorry though.

True... but picture this:

You're a dishonest person, and you find the key fob. You notice the Lexus emblem on it, and you know that there's only one Lexus in the area: a grey one parked on 81st Avenue.

You think about stealing the car.

You walk over, press the Unlock button, but nothing happens(the owner, me, has had the locks reprogrammed).

What do you do then?

You look at the key fob for a minute, and notice the switch to take out the hard key. You walk over to the car, and look for where the key hole is. You don't see it.

From here, it's really easy. Either you go home and find out where the keyhole is on Google or something, or you find it yourself by looking under the handle.
Old 05-13-08, 11:25 AM
sammy5001
Rookie

Hmm sounds like you need to sell this car and buy a new one. Problem solved
I think you're worrying about this a bit too much. Just get it reprogrammed and everything should be fine.
Old 05-13-08, 11:37 AM
Joneser
Driver

I agree... and next time keep it in you sock and put a rubberband on your wrist to remember...

ooo ooo... wait one of those janitor "zip" key chains ...

yeah that's the ticket!!!

Just kidding man... don't sweat it, reprogramming i think is the best peace of mind. If anything they will think the key is only for the glove box... unless they are forum junkies like ourselves... even then it isn't worth the work to steal unless they are true pros. But seriously what are the odds? This isn't "Gone in 60 seconds"
Old 05-13-08, 11:56 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by solspeed
there one on the driver side and passenger .
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. See page 48 in the owners manual, it specifically states to use the mechanical key on the driver's door handle.

One other mechanical lock that hasn't been mentioned is located on the trunk. (It's also sort of hidden; you don't need to remove anything to get to it, but it's not obvious where it is)
Old 05-13-08, 12:16 PM
eddo1
Driver

I think there's a keyhole in the trunk as well.

Think of it this way, if someone REALLY wants your car or anything in it they'll just break a window and get in. Just get your key reprogrammed.

You can also do what some people do in high crime areas. Open your glove box and center storage area doors and keep them empty. Also empty your coinholder and keep the inside of your car clean so that thieves can see there is nothing to steal.

Better yet, keep a bulldog in the car!
Old 05-13-08, 12:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be glad that you don't have a car with a conventional key. You would have to replace more mechacical locks (inluding the ignition), and you would still need to have the ECU reprogrammed. I agree with everyone else that you should just get it reprogrammed and forget about the mechanical locks. There really is a very small chance it would have been found by someone that would consider breaking into your car.
Old 05-13-08, 12:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
True... but picture this:

You're a dishonest person, and you find the key fob. You notice the Lexus emblem on it, and you know that there's only one Lexus in the area: a grey one parked on 81st Avenue.

You think about stealing the car.

You walk over, press the Unlock button, but nothing happens(the owner, me, has had the locks reprogrammed).

What do you do then?

You look at the key fob for a minute, and notice the switch to take out the hard key. You walk over to the car, and look for where the key hole is. You don't see it.

From here, it's really easy. Either you go home and find out where the keyhole is on Google or something, or you find it yourself by looking under the handle.
I think, given the facts, if someone stole your fob with the intent of stealing your car, it would be gone already.
Old 05-13-08, 01:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Unfortunately, I'm the only one where I work or in the surrounding neighborhood who owns a Lexus. I don't mean just an IS... but I'm the only only one who owns a Lexus of ANY kind.

I will be getting the key reprogrammed... but that's not really my major concern. My major concern is that after I get it reprogrammed, I'm still prone to the finder of my keyfob breaking into the car via the hard key. They can't start the car, but they can get inside.

Right?

Get The Club.
Old 05-13-08, 01:47 PM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

I heard you can just go and have it reprogrammed at the dealership for liek 50 bux..

Quick Reply: I lost my keyfob. If a thief finds it, they can use the hard key to break in, right?