IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Console burn

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 05:18 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the wood trim has that problem. My dash gets pretty hot in the summer time and hasnt rubbed off.
Old 05-14-08, 06:53 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the dealer may be able to help you with this... It's worth a try since you just bought the car 10 days ago...
Old 05-14-08, 07:07 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when running your fingers across the area.. does it feel lifted or indented?

if lifted.. it can possibly be cleaned off.

if it is indented.. then it is seriously into the trim.
Old 05-14-08, 08:46 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
when running your fingers across the area.. does it feel lifted or indented?
It feels completely smooth. No different from the rest of the interior. If I close my eyes and run my fingers over the whole center I can not find the damaged area.
Old 05-14-08, 09:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OOo...

and you are certain it is from your bracelet?

either way.. if the finish did some how got worn off.. you would actually feel it.
Old 05-14-08, 10:03 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

take it back to the dealer and see what they say....if they are not fixing it, CF kit would be an alternative......

good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 05-15-08, 08:07 AM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
OOo...

and you are certain it is from your bracelet?

either way.. if the finish did some how got worn off.. you would actually feel it.
No, I'm pretty sure it was from my cell phone. I think I was holding it resting it against that spot.
Old 05-15-08, 09:58 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea..the best bet would be bringing it to the dealer..if you can negotiate enough and convince them, I think they will replace it for free
Old 05-15-08, 10:52 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LIS350A
Any idea how much to replace this piece?
Hey Lisa, congrats on your new car and welcome to the board!! Sorry to hear that, I would be crying if this happened to my IS350 when it was 10 days old. A brand new center console piece from the dealer will probably cost you more than $500... However, there are several things you can do to avoid paying that much for a brand new piece:

1. I just saw a used one on ebay with wood trim for like $250, but you need a metallic one like mine... if you wait patiently, you'll find it used eventually. Try www.car-parts.com, you can find any part on there. If you can't find exactly the part you're looking for, try to search other interior parts and call those junkyards. If you can find other interior parts from a 2006+ IS in a specific junkyard, most likely they'll have the piece you're looking for, probably just not listed.

2. Have a body shop paint all your metallic dash pieces PIANO BLACK!! That's what I want to do to mine one day! It'll look very elegant and unique, and probably won't cost you more than $200.

3. Go with carbon fiber dash kit as many have recommended. If you don't want CF overlay on your interior, I believe there are other materials available. They run about $200 on ebay.

Just ask if you need more advise or help! That's what I like CL the most, so many nice people here!! Right everyone? I was on BMW forums a lot when I had my E36 M3, not a good atmosphere, it's filled with stuck-up, in-your-face type of ppl You rarely see any trash talkings here....
Old 05-15-08, 02:54 PM
cheappc
Driver

Hey wait a minute Lisa,

I just went through something similar, and its not nice, check out this posts:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352152

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=350385

Now I understand that a lot of people will say that its your fault,
I for one, cant buy that. If you read my other posts, I love the Lexus IS, its engineering and everything else... But this I think can be an issue, I believe its interior is very delicate.

Even though, me and dealership decided to go 50/50 on replacing it, i dont think you sould.

I think they should replace it for you without you paying any money out of pocket.
Old 05-15-08, 03:05 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

i think best bet for this not to happen again is to paint all your trip pieces a special color instead of replacing it :P like i thinking pocky has his painted look in the replacing interior trim page.
Old 05-15-08, 03:23 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cheappc
Now I understand that a lot of people will say that its your fault,
I for one, cant buy that.

I think they should replace it for you without you paying any money out of pocket.
Wait a minute clarify no one here said it was her fault. Plus those post were from chemicals getting on the dash.

Lisa, since you cant feel it if you run your fingers over it. I would take it to the dealership and have them replace it. Sounds like a defective workmanship that could not be cause by any day-to-driving or chemicals.

If they say it was caused by you insist that you could not have done that since it is beneath the plastic coating.

Good Luck Lisa! Let us know how it ends.
Old 05-15-08, 04:26 PM
cheappc
Driver

I apologize if I sounded rude.

What I meant to say is that "some" will say it was her fault. What I truly meant to say is, that alot of people usually clean their cars, and spray air freshner.

And a lot of people leave their cell phones by the wood trim (like me).

I believe it shouldnt be so delicate, like for example, which car did Lisa drive last? Did it happen to her in her last car?

I truly love my Lexus. Probably one of the best cars I ever owned. I just think that the interior is very delicate. If I would have known it was this delicate, I would have been more careful where I leave my stuff on, especially when it gets hot.
Old 05-15-08, 06:03 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheappc
I apologize if I sounded rude.

What I meant to say is that "some" will say it was her fault. What I truly meant to say is, that alot of people usually clean their cars, and spray air freshner.

And a lot of people leave their cell phones by the wood trim (like me).

I believe it shouldnt be so delicate, like for example, which car did Lisa drive last? Did it happen to her in her last car?

I truly love my Lexus. Probably one of the best cars I ever owned. I just think that the interior is very delicate. If I would have known it was this delicate, I would have been more careful where I leave my stuff on, especially when it gets hot.
Considering that this incident makes exactly 2 posts on how easy it is to damage the interior out of xx thousand posts on this site, I wouldn't call the interior delicate.

If heat from your cell phone caused the damage, that's a defect in my opinion, and it should be a warranty item. This is completely different than melting paint through application of chemical air fragrance.
Old 05-15-08, 06:49 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
is our wood trim that soft too?
my wood is nice and hard. don't think i'll have a problem.

Quick Reply: Console burn