IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Console burn

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 06:56 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 100plus
+1 . She should know some of the best places in LI. If a dealer is willing to replace it, i say go for it. CF overlay is good too, fitment is questionable, especially the ones from ebay, or so i've heard.

Welcome to the club, hope to see you around
I'm pretty far from LI but thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by LIS350A; 05-15-08 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 07:02 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by cheappc

I believe it shouldnt be so delicate, like for example, which car did Lisa drive last? Did it happen to her in her last car?
2004 Acura TL Carbon Fiber, never a problem. I miss my TL.

It really shouldn't be that delicate! I was driving home from work which is like a 4 minute drive. Cell phone in hand just resting my arm.
Old 05-15-08, 07:04 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hapaboy
my wood is nice and hard. don't think i'll have a problem.
I think you missed your calling hapaboy...
Old 05-15-08, 07:10 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by blk_is300
Hey Lisa, congrats on your new car and welcome to the board!! Sorry to hear that, I would be crying if this happened to my IS350 when it was 10 days old. A brand new center console piece from the dealer will probably cost you more than $500... However, there are several things you can do to avoid paying that much for a brand new piece:

1. I just saw a used one on ebay with wood trim for like $250, but you need a metallic one like mine... if you wait patiently, you'll find it used eventually. Try www.car-parts.com, you can find any part on there. If you can't find exactly the part you're looking for, try to search other interior parts and call those junkyards. If you can find other interior parts from a 2006+ IS in a specific junkyard, most likely they'll have the piece you're looking for, probably just not listed.

2. Have a body shop paint all your metallic dash pieces PIANO BLACK!! That's what I want to do to mine one day! It'll look very elegant and unique, and probably won't cost you more than $200.

3. Go with carbon fiber dash kit as many have recommended. If you don't want CF overlay on your interior, I believe there are other materials available. They run about $200 on ebay.

Just ask if you need more advise or help! That's what I like CL the most, so many nice people here!! Right everyone? I was on BMW forums a lot when I had my E36 M3, not a good atmosphere, it's filled with stuck-up, in-your-face type of ppl You rarely see any trash talkings here....
Thank you for all the suggestions!

2. is out cause it's a lease

1 and 3 are out unless someone can install it. Honestly, I still haven't got my plate on! The dealer screws are too short to go through the clear cover. I need to find the right one but Home Depot scares me.

PS I'm not some kind of moron, just really girly!
Old 05-15-08, 07:14 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Yea, your wood will probably never get rubbed out.

j/k!!!!!
Old 05-15-08, 07:33 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIS350A
Thank you for all the suggestions!

2. is out cause it's a lease

1 and 3 are out unless someone can install it. Honestly, I still haven't got my plate on! The dealer screws are too short to go through the clear cover. I need to find the right one but Home Depot scares me.

PS I'm not some kind of moron, just really girly!
It's really not that hard to change that piece, you can ask around the forum to see if anyone around you is willing to help. It'll take like 2 minutes for someone knows what they're doing. I'm not sure how much the dealer charges but if you have a well known mechanic, he shouldn't even be charging you for changing that piece if you're doing your service there at the same time.

The dash kits are extremely easy to install, all you need to do is to clean up your dash so it's free from dirt and oil, peel off the stickies, then stick them on. I think girls are probably better at this kind of stuff than guys, since they have more patience, I always let my girl do things for me that require more precision.
Old 05-15-08, 07:40 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by blk_is300

The dash kits are extremely easy to install, all you need to do is to clean up your dash so it's free from dirt and oil, peel off the stickies, then stick them on. I think girls are probably better at this kind of stuff than guys, since they have more patience, I always let my girl do things that require more precision.
Really? Cause I'm dying to do the red outs. Actually I'm pretty sure I don't any patience. lol But if I have to look at those amber lights one more time...
Old 05-15-08, 09:57 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

If a customer came to my dealership 10 days after they bought their vehicle and the trim was discolored like that, and doesn't look like a chemical was spilled on it, I'd install a new part on it and send it on its way. But thats just me. Now if the car had 15k miles on it its another thing.

You could say the car was parked outside for the whole day and when you got into the car the next day is when you noticed it. The dealership may give you the benifit of the doubt and replace it for you.

I wouldn't call it in. I'd just stop by and have them take a look at it. Make sure you let them know that it happened the same day or the day before. The longer you wait the more difficult it maybe to explain anything. Also, don't go in there with any sort of fear or guilt of the problem being your fault cause it isn't. They can sense most anyone lying to them so atleast pretend to be honest and say what I've recommended above and you should be fine.

-Joe
Old 05-15-08, 11:45 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Really? Cause I'm dying to do the red outs. Actually I'm pretty sure I don't any patience. lol But if I have to look at those amber lights one more time...
I did the red outs several weeks ago, I didn't expect they would come out this well, gotta be a must-have for a 2IS.
Old 05-16-08, 09:51 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

haha...that's one I've never heard before.
Old 05-16-08, 09:55 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carchitect
Also, don't go in there with any sort of fear or guilt of the problem being your fault cause it isn't. -Joe

You know what it might have been there the whole time and didnt notice it till now. Lisa Just go in and tell them you just noticed this!

BTW cheappc no apology necessary! Just needed you to clarify what you meant. It is all good !
Old 06-28-08, 11:38 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Default Update

I went in for my 1000 mile service today and showed them the console.

I told them exactly what happened. They couldn't figure out what it was, a burn etc. They thought it could just be cleaned and then realized how deep it was.

They are ordering me a new one. It was as simple as that.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-08, 03:31 AM
jp350
Rookie

ah, glad to hear that they are replacing it for you free of charge. no more eye sore on the console!
Old 06-29-08, 04:38 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Great news Lisa!!! glad you go things cleared up . Hope your still enjoying the ride!
Old 06-29-08, 09:32 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I went in for my 1000 mile service today and showed them the console.

I told them exactly what happened. They couldn't figure out what it was, a burn etc. They thought it could just be cleaned and then realized how deep it was.

They are ordering me a new one. It was as simple as that.

Thanks everyone.
Awesome to hear! Glad you're getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Console burn