IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY HID Fog Light Install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 06:45 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks great and you make it looks like a piece of cake as far as the installtion is concerned. I always thought that remove the front bumper is required to propertly install the HID fog lights. Your DYI is a great help, much appreciated, and honestly it makes me want to to get the kit now, I've been debating on whether or not I should get the HID fog kit- since I hesitate to remove the front bumpber especially with a GXF Lip installed. I'm thinking of getting 6000K ballasts to replace my stock 43K one and a 6000K HID Fog Kit. Please post pics when you get your replacement from Ciffud. I eagerly want to see some pics before I place an order.
Old 05-18-08, 06:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVAGFC350
Looks great and you make it looks like a piece of cake as far as the installtion is concerned. I always thought that remove the front bumper is required to propertly install the HID fog lights. Your DYI is a great help, much appreciated, and honestly it makes me want to to get the kit now, I've been debating on whether or not I should get the HID fog kit- since I hesitate to remove the front bumpber especially with a GXF Lip installed. I'm thinking of getting 6000K ballasts to replace my stock 43K one and a 6000K HID Fog Kit. Please post pics when you get your replacement from Ciffud. I eagerly want to see some pics before I place an order.
Your welcome and I will post follow up pics! It was much easier and quicker to access thru the fender liner! I was dreading the removal of the front Bumper so we decided to give this a try and I am glad it worked out Check back next weekend and I should have time and the new ballast to post updates and more pics
Old 05-21-08, 05:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Okay today I got the replacment Ballast from Cliff...that was very quick as I asked him to send it yesterday!! Great service.

So now I have it all back together and both sides work. Pics in next thread to follow...its 5k and OEM HID. I will take pics at night as I want to see how much more light output. I will also try the FM and XM to see if there is any interference as someone requested.

Thanks!

And Many things to Cliff at Mobile HID. What a great Vendor and super great service and help!!!

Last edited by passnu2; 05-22-08 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 10:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Enjoy....
Old 05-22-08, 10:21 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, we need to change the wedge bulbs on our cars to 27 SMT LED (LOL).
Old 05-22-08, 10:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I wish I knew what the bulbs where that are in that bag??? I guess I may just have to find out the hard way...
Old 05-22-08, 02:41 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Looks great guys! Good work.
Old 05-22-08, 05:32 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Do you have any videos of the fogs upfront? I'm thinking of changing my fogs too, but i don't want the glare to be out of control.
Old 05-22-08, 05:37 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

one hour my @$$ lol! no I just got done with my install last night using your DIY. Thanks for doing this. Took me more like three hours but i took ALOT of breaks in between steps haha. I went with the 3k kit myself. I may try posting pics tonight if it stays dry.
Old 05-22-08, 06:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ONEdirty23
one hour my @$$ lol! no I just got done with my install last night using your DIY. Thanks for doing this. Took me more like three hours but i took ALOT of breaks in between steps haha. I went with the 3k kit myself. I may try posting pics tonight if it stays dry.
lol...

I will take some pics later tonight when its dark....post yours also so other members can see the color difference. Yours should be more yellow then mine. I also just changed the City lights out. Now I need 6k bulbs and to change out the day time/high beam bulb and it should look much better. I just sent Cliff a PM to see if he can help.

Im glad it helped out even if it took you a little longer. I had to install this like 3 times as I had a bad Ballast, then the other went out, then I took it all apart and got them working....I should have charged myself for all the work
Old 05-22-08, 06:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kindred6ul
Do you have any videos of the fogs upfront? I'm thinking of changing my fogs too, but i don't want the glare to be out of control.
No videos but I will post pics late tonight when it gets dark out with them off and on to see the light output. Color is just more preference. I have 5k and it looks good IMO
Old 05-22-08, 07:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

okay here are the night pics as good as they will get. Its much brighter with the fogs....i also changed the city bulb to what was in the kit. Its REALLY blue but i like it. I just need to change the HID to 6k and swap the high beam out for some thing more white/blue....hope the pics are okay. If anyone wants to see another angle shoot me a PM.

Old 05-23-08, 02:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

for those that wanted me to check...

FM & XM Radio work with no interference.
Old 06-09-08, 11:00 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, do I also go behind the fender (like what you did for fog bulbs) to replace my D4S bulbs too?
Old 06-09-08, 01:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Hey, do I also go behind the fender (like what you did for fog bulbs) to replace my D4S bulbs too?
No those you replace up top under the hood. On the passenger side its easier to take out the airfilter box and its right in the corner. The driver side the washer fill tube is kind of in the way and you can take it off. they are the far outer lights and has a metal bracket that you push to allow the dust cover to come off. Im sure there is a thread in the FAQ for the 2IS on the OEM HID bulbs??

Hope that helps you out

Mike

Quick Reply: DIY HID Fog Light Install with photos