IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Over rev my car by accident!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 09:24 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over rev my car by accident!

Ok guys, driving more aggressive th so I just have 1000 miles on my is350 and I was messing around with it. I wasen normal and out of no where I see a GTI tail gating me for a couple miles with a slammed TSX on his tail. Soon the GTI saw a opening and he drove up next to me and lined up with me. He floored it and i followed him and I killed him by couple car lengths and I turned on my hazards. then we approach a red light. I was behind the a g35, the gti is on my left and tsx on the right. I cut off the g35 and the tsx saw me and lined up with me, I heard his car is a manual and sounded like he down shift so I downshift also to 2nd gear. I heard him floor it so I followed and when I hit the redline the car didn't shift when I thought it did. So my car was at 7-8k for a couple seconds and then I used the paddle shifter to shift and you know how the paddle shifter takes couple seconds to respond.

Some light on the dash turned on that had a exclamation mark and then I soon started smelling something burning. I parked my car on the side and opened my hood to let it cool down for a couple minutes. Did I damage my car? Because I know if I left it any longer on the red lines I can blow my motors.
Old 05-17-08, 09:27 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

use it for what you paid for it! i hit some red lines in a 350 last night!

does this belong in racing stories?
Old 05-17-08, 09:53 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

nah..i think you car is fine. the burning smell is probably from your tires / exhaust. i used to smell sth like that when I had fun too
Old 05-17-08, 10:13 PM
camerri
Rookie

Could be the transmission your smelling. If you've babied it to this point, the smell should be normal. No worries, have fun!
Old 05-17-08, 10:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

our cars come equipped with a rev limiter... as most new cars do
Old 05-17-08, 11:07 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

rev limiters are there for a reason.
you won't damage the car, and you didn't hit 8k rpm.

have fun and be safe.
Old 05-17-08, 11:44 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you'll be okay I think don't worry but maybe you might just want to schedule your next service a little sooner just in case... next time if you're racing like that forget the manual mode and switch it into ect pwr mode. It'll give you the most agressive shift points for racing around in traffic.. the paddles don't always shift when you want and you don't know the best shift points in your car in the heat of a race probably anyway especially with the shift delays so just set it in pwr mode and concentrate on the road. The pwr mode is awesome for doing the stuff you're doing. They should change the name from pwr mode to street racing mode..lol Have fun but be careful!
Old 05-18-08, 04:30 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Hehe, yeah, you DID NOT hit 8000 rpm. You may have been hovering around 6000 rpm for a few seconds, but that's not harmful for your car. As previously stated, you cannot over-rev an automatic with a rev limiter. You can only over-rev a stick shift by a high rpm downward mis-shift (e.g. 5th-2nd @ 90 mph).
Old 05-18-08, 06:16 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Hehe, yeah, you DID NOT hit 8000 rpm. You may have been hovering around 6000 rpm for a few seconds, but that's not harmful for your car. As previously stated, you cannot over-rev an automatic with a rev limiter. You can only over-rev a stick shift by a high rpm downward mis-shift (e.g. 5th-2nd @ 90 mph).
Yea, 8k is impossible. The rev limiter would have stepped in long before any damage could be done. I've seen first hand how Lexus tests these engines. Would you believe that they hold these things at WOT bouncing of the rev limiter for hours on end. As long as safe oil levels and temperatures are maintained, these engines (most engines, really) are pretty bulletproof.

P.S. To the OP, drive safely out there, it sounds like you were driving a bit dangerously.
Old 05-18-08, 06:20 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Because I know if I left it any longer on the red lines I can blow my motors.
Making hypotezis that Lexus engine is not any worse then Honda, I would say u could keep on redline as long as u are capable of.

I used to have Honde Civic Type-r (200bhp) plus moded with exhaust and intake (230bhp) and had many trips where in highway I was holding 8K rpm all the way to my destination (~160miles) and there weren't any kind of sign that engine is going to blow or something. Contrarily my CTR condition of engine and everything was much better then my friends (some had oil leak, though car was driven very easily).

Also had severel times misshifted in track, when had to shift from 4 to 5 but did to 3...rews got way more then 10k rpm...

still for this day, I know the guy whom I sold the car, and he has no problem what so ever..

So I say stop worrying and go ridding!

(smel is normal when you drive agresivily, especialy NEW car...)
Old 05-18-08, 09:15 AM
solspeed
Driver

speakin of type R , i've swap Eg ITR , rev 10k all they with the chips , until the trannys start grindin in gear lol back to topic, you should b fines , i did that a couple of time, forgot to shift , and all i hear is my engine boggle down lol
Old 05-18-08, 11:20 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pedal to the metal baby! (or carpet)
Old 05-18-08, 11:23 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pound um, Broke um, Fix um and POUND UM AGAIN!!!
Old 05-18-08, 04:10 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

you are GOOD,,
the burning smell is just telling that your car is still a babe..
maybe a virgin to the streets..

on the other hand..please drive safely!!
Old 05-18-08, 04:19 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

thanks guys. good to hear that I didn't damage my car. got me kind of worried for a second. I usually don't have any problems on my old car and I red line it all the time( but not stay in red line for couple seconds)

Quick Reply: Over rev my car by accident!