IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Poor Gas mileage even under 'normal' driving conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 07:07 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here I usually get about 22 mpg. Now, headed from DFW to Houston a few weeks ago @ 85 mph average I got 25mpg. If I went 65 mph I'd have gotten around 27mpg but the hell with snail speed.

Weight is the biggest factor on these cars. They weight in at over 3500 lbs. Accelerating a car like this really hurts gas mileage. Also if you're planning on switching out your wheels, get a lighter wheel. I can't emphasize enough on this subject. Lighter wheels improver acceleration, road feedback and gas mileage. Those heavy weight 20" wheels are the worst thing you could ever do for these cars.

-Joe
Old 05-19-08, 07:14 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive noticed that I get extremely lower gas mileage when I take 5-10 minute trips compared to when I drive 15+ minutes. I do not drive on any highways BTW. I live in the NJ suburbs and there are tons of stop lights, stop signs, etc. Constant stop and go pretty much everywhere. On average I get 21-22mpg per tank avg which is honeslty I think OK for the driving I do.
Old 05-19-08, 07:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric
Ive noticed that I get extremely lower gas mileage when I take 5-10 minute trips compared to when I drive 15+ minutes. I do not drive on any highways BTW. I live in the NJ suburbs and there are tons of stop lights, stop signs, etc. Constant stop and go pretty much everywhere. On average I get 21-22mpg per tank avg which is honeslty I think OK for the driving I do.
car barely gets warmed up in this 5-10 minutes, engine barely any running time at operating temperature and your engine isnt as sealed as well as a result, mileage, oil consumption are going to be affected.
Old 05-19-08, 08:26 AM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Iget about 19 MPG on the average. I thought it would do a lot better also.
Old 05-19-08, 12:26 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

21 mpg all city is amazing! The lifetime average for my car is at 18.4 which is pitiful, but I've done pretty well with the current tank at 20.3, very conservative driving.
Old 05-19-08, 01:00 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Man what the hell is wrong with my car.
You lose 4mpg for every 10mph over 65. Going 70mph on the highway, I can get about 28mpg. Since you're going 80, that means you're getting 24mpg. Average that with your city driving and it'll go way down.

Best way to watch is to switch the display to the dynamic MPG display and watch what it looks like when you cruise. When I'm driving at 80 or 85 steady, I notice that it's around the 20 mark or just above. At 90, it dips to about 17.
Old 05-19-08, 01:01 PM
chums
Lead Lap

im getting about 19.5mpg lifetime, about 80/20 city/highway. its kinda expected with my commute, ill go to work and back, all city with stoplights, then every once in a while when i go out ill take the highway.

my driving style isnt the best for mileage. especially since i installed my exhaust and intake, ive been hitting wot more often than usual. when i first start the car ill take it easy to let the engine warm-up properly, but after that i'll have some fun when i do my 'normal' driving ill keep it in S mode and usually downshift to brake, trying not to exceed 3k RPMs. accelerating ill get to around 2.5k max before the vehicle upshifts. when im cruising down a street ill keep a steady acceleration so i dont lose mpg
Old 05-19-08, 01:03 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
CA is very hilly which will kill car mileage. I get 21.5 full city, but there arent any hills around Houston. Best thing you can do is to use the Current MPG display on the gauge cluster and make it a game to maximize mileage. You will quickly learn what habits will drop or raise your MPG reading. I am very consistant with my throttle and try to avoid unecessary acceleration. For example, it really annoys me when I'm riding with someone, a red light appears ahead and they are still on the gas, habits like this reduce mileage and increase wear and tear on the brakes and tires.

Someones when someone falls asleep in my car, i make it my duty to drive in such a way so they stay asleep instead of me slamming the gas, braking hard and waking them up. That is the mark of a highly controlled driver especially in a car that rides firm like the IS. I treat passengers like precious cargo because they are and I drive accordingly. The wear and tear on my vehicle and gas money is a lot less than someone that doesnt.
+1

My girlfriend sleep all the time in the passenger seat, especially on longer distance trips (40+ minutes). I try to make it an art to drive as smoothly as possible. This includes stop-n-go traffic and I drive a stick!

My lifetime is about 24.5mpg. Not as good as I want, but when I first got the car, I was driving crazy and loving it. I'm much calmer now
Old 05-19-08, 01:05 PM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalSo350
I'm not sure what everyone else is getting, but I think I saw another thread where people were getting 25+ in the city in their 350's.

The BEST i have averaged with a lot of highway and less city is 20.7 mpg. I know there are a ton of factors that go into your mpg, but it just doesn't seem right. My M3 got better mileage and I drove that thing hard.

This car is babied and I don't use the PWR button.
My 250 avg is 22.8mpg for city driving only. I'm not sure how a 350 can get 25+mpg for city driving
Old 05-19-08, 02:39 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn this really stinks that with such a fun car like the IS350
you have to drive it like grandma -- not because of milage so much...but mainly the price of fuel combined with the lack of milage

at basically $4 per gallon...the whole situation just stinks!!

When it was $1.69 / gallon for premium we'd all be having a ball with these cars
(ahh the good ol days!)
Old 05-19-08, 02:49 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i started to drive like a grandma, im starting to see avg of 27-30mpg. Nearing 400 miles approx, Reached 385 miles on the od with 10 miles approx left. shift around 2.5-3k. cruise control ftw on the freeway at 70-75mph. seeing around 60-65 bucks per fill 14.xx gals

but im cruizin in a 250 mt
Old 05-19-08, 02:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
You lose 4mpg for every 10mph over 65. Going 70mph on the highway, I can get about 28mpg. Since you're going 80, that means you're getting 24mpg. Average that with your city driving and it'll go way down.

Best way to watch is to switch the display to the dynamic MPG display and watch what it looks like when you cruise. When I'm driving at 80 or 85 steady, I notice that it's around the 20 mark or just above. At 90, it dips to about 17.
My experience is not yours at all. I've driven at speeds from 65 to 80 and not seen a significant repeatable change in mileage. I can drive 80 and get 28+ mpg. I have driven 65, with the cruise control on so I couldn't accidentally speed, and seen the exact same mileage.

What I have documented is shorter runs consistently produce lower mileage. Every cold cycle hurts economy dramatically.
Old 05-19-08, 03:47 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

in my experience, if I have to stop at alot of signal lights or stop signs, that is where my gas mileage suffers. I can see why as you are trying to accelerate a 3500lb car from a dead stop.
Old 05-19-08, 04:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

according to the MPG meter, i can maintain 28-30 mpg @ 80mph, which is just a little lower than @ 60 mph, plus you will get run over here if you dont drive 80, so I drive 80
Old 05-19-08, 05:00 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that helps with learning how much gas you're using is to leave your car display in the live MPG setting and I think you'll see where you're wasting gas kind of like a live biofeedback meter. It was using this display that I learned using snow mode on the freeway helps a lot. Still i don't care about getting the best mpg. I just drive how I drive normally mixed city/hwy mixed granny style and full throttle occasionally and get a decent 22mpg. Also maybe some of you folks have bigger heavier rims stereo equipment to lug around or have the AC on all the time? No way this car should get under 20mpg unless it's all stop and go city miles.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas mileage even under 'normal' driving conditions