IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did the dealer NOT install XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08 | 06:30 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee

The antenna on the roof means nothing, all IS's have it as factory standard.

Contrary to many people here who think dealers are just out to steal your money, most want to give a product for an agreed upon amount of money and give fair service. Everyone is so quick to denigrate the dealer.
Not all IS have the XM antenna (shark fin) on them. Not positive what year the OP's car is but if you recall many on here did not have this from the factory. This changed later in the model year so its possible that the OP did not have this on their car.

another question is have you ever worked for a car dealer? I would assume not from your post. I didn't say the dealer did commit any kind of fraud and that is why I posted for the member to check before calling. I have worked for 2 dealers and I am close to a family that owns many of the dealers around here from low to high end. I have become close with many of the workers over the years and I know more then I care to know!! Its like this all around regardless of what you want to think or believe. Could this have been an honest mistake I think not. Lexus techs know what XM radio is and how to test it to make sure its working. If this was new to Lexus or something they had never installed I would then give them a little credit but there is NO excuse for this one! The fact that they returned the car to the OP and charged for this service is unethical.

Thats just my opinion and I am sticking to it...
Old 05-19-08 | 06:55 PM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
Not all IS have the XM antenna (shark fin) on them. Not positive what year the OP's car is but if you recall many on here did not have this from the factory. This changed later in the model year so its possible that the OP did not have this on their car.
It's a brand new 2008 ISF. The dealer had the color and all the options I wanted... except XM radio. I asked if that can be installed and he said yes and wrote, "Dealer to install XM radio on the contract." He then said it's being installed while I wait. I waited over an hour as I was also waiting for the financing guy. I asked, if they install it and I get the financing done if I can take the car home today and he said that's the plan.

If 2008 ISFs have the shark fins, just what were they doing?

If 2008 ISFs do not have the shark fins, all they did was put the shark fin on. I hope it was just a miscommunication to the service department. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

I'm sure they'll fix everything but I'm just a little nervous/concerned after dropping down a lot of money on this. It is my first car (had old junker before).
Old 05-19-08 | 07:10 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by testmetest
It's a brand new 2008 ISF. The dealer had the color and all the options I wanted... except XM radio. I asked if that can be installed and he said yes and wrote, "Dealer to install XM radio on the contract." He then said it's being installed while I wait. I waited over an hour as I was also waiting for the financing guy. I asked, if they install it and I get the financing done if I can take the car home today and he said that's the plan.

If 2008 ISFs have the shark fins, just what were they doing?

If 2008 ISFs do not have the shark fins, all they did was put the shark fin on. I hope it was just a miscommunication to the service department. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

I'm sure they'll fix everything but I'm just a little nervous/concerned after dropping down a lot of money on this. It is my first car (had old junker before).
Im sorry your car does have the "Shark Fin" from the factory. I wasnt sure what year your car was. They just simply did not do what they told you they did and you have confirmed this. If they didn't complete this at time of sale they would have issued you a "we owe you form" and you sign and so does the F&I person. You also get a copy for when you return to service.

What where they doing who knows....I would call mgmt and explain what has happened and what they are going to do for your time and that you are going out of your way again. I am sorry I just dont see this as a mistake. Because they could have filled out the correct paper work and said service was busy so we need for you to come back. This is not uncommon for them to ask this especially at time of delivery when accessories are added.

Its up to you how you want to handle it and what your relationship is with the dealer. I dont want to lead you in the wrong direction by any means. I am sure you can appreciate what I am saying. They could have installed that in less than 1 hour if I did so in my garage at home.

Maybe if you are up for it have them credit your money back and install it yourself off the DIY thread we have posted here? What they charge is crazy. The more I think about this as I am typing ask for a discount on the XM receiver and to get a full refund for the install, or a break if you are not up to do the install yourself, have them pay for the first year of XM. Yes they will do this and did when I worked at the dealer. They owe you and I feel this is a fair thing for you to ask for

Please post back on how things go and what you end up doing!!

Mike
Old 05-19-08 | 07:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2

another question is have you ever worked for a car dealer? I would assume not from your post. I didn't say the dealer did commit any kind of fraud and that is why I posted for the member to check before calling. I have worked for 2 dealers and I am close to a family that owns many of the dealers around here from low to high end. I have become close with many of the workers over the years and I know more then I care to know!! Its like this all around regardless of what you want to think or believe. Could this have been an honest mistake I think not. Lexus techs know what XM radio is and how to test it to make sure its working. If this was new to Lexus or something they had never installed I would then give them a little credit but there is NO excuse for this one! The fact that they returned the car to the OP and charged for this service is unethical.

Thats just my opinion and I am sticking to it...
Only the 2006 model didn't have the sharkfin. ALL subsequent years have the sharkfin is standard. Since the buyer was getting a new car we can safely assume it is NOT a 2006 model.

Something as obvious as XM radio is not something a dealer can claim to install and then never expect the owner to turn on the XM radio! It isn't something hidden like the halogen fluid for the battery, super pure nitrogen for the tires, or some such service that the owner would never know if it was performed or not.

You are free to believe what you think the dealer's motives are in this case. I choose to believe there was a screwup in the communication in the dealer prep. If your experience is that this was a deliberate fraud by the techs than you are dealing with the wrong dealers. But everybody has their own opinion.

If the OP calls his salesperson it will be taken care of in short order. If it is on the contract there isn't any question. When I bought my IS it took over an hour for them to do the prep and I wasn't having anything added to it. It takes a bit of time to go through the checklist, so an hour waiting for the IS-F isn't unusual. They weren't back their twiddling their thumbs. I seriously doubt they could do a PROPER prep AND install the XM radio in an hour or less. My opinion only.

Last edited by Evitzee; 05-19-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-19-08 | 07:49 PM
jetman
Driver

I, too, can't believe that this was deliberate on the part of the dealer. If it says "XM Radio" on the contract then what could possibly be the point in not installing it. Did they think you simply wouldn't notice? I think not. Someone just screwed up. I would ask them what they were doing with your car while you were waiting for the install, though.

I would point out to them what a terrible inconvenience this has been to you - your time is valuable, and the gas making an extra trip to the dealer is expensive. Suggest that they compensate you for your trouble. My buddy complained when he got jerked around after buying his Nissan and they gave him a $100 gas card as compensation. Definitely worth a try.
Old 05-20-08 | 04:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

All '07s and '08s have the sharkfin, with or without satellite. I'm sure they'll make it right.
Old 05-20-08 | 04:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jetman
I, too, can't believe that this was deliberate on the part of the dealer. If it says "XM Radio" on the contract then what could possibly be the point in not installing it. Did they think you simply wouldn't notice? I think not. Someone just screwed up. I would ask them what they were doing with your car while you were waiting for the install, though.

I would point out to them what a terrible inconvenience this has been to you - your time is valuable, and the gas making an extra trip to the dealer is expensive. Suggest that they compensate you for your trouble. My buddy complained when he got jerked around after buying his Nissan and they gave him a $100 gas card as compensation. Definitely worth a try.
Yeah--they aren't going to sell you their hot new $60k car, then try to f*** you with XM. Make them give you an LS460 loaner for the day when they fix it.