IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did the dealer NOT install XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08 | 06:56 AM
testmetest
Driver

Unhappy Did the dealer NOT install XM radio?

Hi all, I have a quick question.

I recently bought a new IS off the lot. It did not have XM radio which I wanted, so the dealer said he will have it installed while I wait.

I see the antenna on the roof, but when I press the "AM - SAT" button, only AM radio comes up.

Does this mean there is no XM installed? In the manual, it says to turn the tuner to channel 000, but I can't if it's only coming up as AM radio.

I'm worried and feeling pretty sad about this. Any ideas?
Old 05-19-08 | 07:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by testmetest
I see the antenna on the roof, but when I press the "AM - SAT" button, only AM radio comes up.
How many times did you press the button? I'm not an expert in your head unit, but know in my LS you need to keep pusing the button to scroll through the various inputs.
Old 05-19-08 | 09:32 AM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
How many times did you press the button? I'm not an expert in your head unit, but know in my LS you need to keep pusing the button to scroll through the various inputs.
I tried pushing it several times figuring it was a scroll through type situation to no avail. I also tried holding the button for a few seconds.

I suppose I'll email the dealer later today if no one has any ideas. Is there a way to see if the radio tuner unit was installed? I see the antenna on the roof maybe if I know where to look, I can see if the tuner is there or not. (unless it's hidden away under the hood, etc).
Old 05-19-08 | 10:00 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

nope, Not installed. Its not a quick 30 minute install, even for the dealer, maybe 1.5 hours if they do it fast, and you'll automatically hear the XM preview channel if you push AM button once.
Old 05-19-08 | 10:03 AM
bob2200
Driver

I wouldn't wait for an e-mail, I'd telephone the dealership immediately. Most dealerships have toll-free telephone numbers.

Did you actually pay for the XM installation?

Don't miss another day of XM!
Old 05-19-08 | 10:12 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

IIRC, there should be 3 XM radio screens like XM1, XM2 and XM3 when you scroll though the different inputs. I can double check this when I go out for lunch later.
Old 05-19-08 | 10:34 AM
myculito
Lead Lap
CL Folding 500000

I agree....don't think it was installed. At a minimum you should get the SAT1 screen, and you should at least have Ch1 (XM Preview) available.
Old 05-19-08 | 10:41 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

there is an easy way for you to check. in your trunk on the passenger side remove the cover, you can almost pull it out and put a flash light down in. There is a DIY thread for XM install. You will see where the xm box goes and what it looks like to see for the visual. If its truly in there then it may be a loose connection. I am guessing its not in there but anything is possible before we accuse them of not doing what they should have. Its not a 1.5 hour job to install especially for the dealer. they may charge you for that amount of time.
Old 05-19-08 | 10:48 AM
breakwater
Driver School Candidate

Yes, something didn't get installed, even when cycling through the modes with the steering wheel button, right after am, is satellite. It should come up with the preview stations.

Since it is located under the right trunk panel, it takes some time to get the panels removed and the unit mounted.
Old 05-19-08 | 10:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=diy+xm+radio

here is that thread for you. Ben did a great write up...trust me you do not need to remove all the liners. You can see from his pics where its at and I would take a peek in there. Thats a big liability if you have papers that they installed and its not there. I cant imagine why any dealer would take that chance.

When i installed mine it didnt work the first time?? could just be a bad connection or something silly.
Old 05-19-08 | 11:11 AM
testmetest
Driver

Wow, some fantastic information here. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm gonna check the trunk thing as passnu2 mentioned. I'll keep everyone up to date.
Old 05-19-08 | 01:19 PM
myculito
Lead Lap
CL Folding 500000

Even though pass2nu is right in that you can look back there yourself, you shouldn't have to go through this.

Go back to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. Hopefully, XM is clearly listed on your sales order or on a "We Owe You" form in the event the dealer tries to dispute anything.
Old 05-19-08 | 02:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by myculito
Even though pass2nu is right in that you can look back there yourself, you shouldn't have to go through this.

Go back to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. Hopefully, XM is clearly listed on your sales order or on a "We Owe You" form in the event the dealer tries to dispute anything.
You are correct. This is just what I would do. You can take that cover and pull it back in a matter of seconds to see if its in there. I guess the point is make sure its not in there before you chew them a new one and look like an *ss. I really don't think they pulled a fast one. If anything I wouldn't put it past a dealer that it was already in the car and they sold it as an option to make money. But anything is possible. The flip side is you will never know while you wait in the sitting area they can give you every excuse in the book for wasting more of your time.

I would much rather know that its not there and take some pics and go directly to someone to get it resolved and contact Lexus Corp!
Old 05-19-08 | 05:14 PM
testmetest
Driver

Well this blows. I peeled back the cover and there is no XM tuner. All they did was put the antenna on there.

I wanted XM radio. It says on the contract "dealer to install satellite radio XM."

I just called guy who sold it to me and he said, "no, no, no something or other." He's gonna call me tomorrow morning and we'll go from there.
Old 05-19-08 | 05:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

I'm sure it is NOT deliberate fraud as it isn't something you can get away with. You can't exactly sell a car with XM when it isn't installed and then charge the customer for it. Sounds like the sales dept miscommunicated with the service dept. Just call your salesman and ask why you don't have XM installed. They will take care of it. Don't automatically start calling 'Corporate' to complain. Work through the channels first.

The antenna on the roof means nothing, all IS's have it as factory standard.

Contrary to many people here who think dealers are just out to steal your money, most want to give a product for an agreed upon amount of money and give fair service. Everyone is so quick to denigrate the dealer.

Last edited by Evitzee; 05-19-08 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Did the dealer NOT install XM radio?