IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hot weather good for cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 08:19 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot weather good for cars

I've always notice that cars drive a lot better-faster in really hot weather. During the cooler winter months, it acts sluggish a bit and require me to put more pressure on the gas pedal. When it's hot out, just a little push on the gas pedal will give me an instant response and the car accelerates quicker than usual. This doesn't apply just to Lexus, but to all cars in general. I've driven Altimas, Corollas, and Evolutions. Maybe it's due to everything warming up already because of the extreme heat? Because you know, cars always run better when it's warm.
Old 05-20-08, 08:50 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
I've always notice that cars drive a lot better-faster in really hot weather. During the cooler winter months, it acts sluggish a bit and require me to put more pressure on the gas pedal. When it's hot out, just a little push on the gas pedal will give me an instant response and the car accelerates quicker than usual. This doesn't apply just to Lexus, but to all cars in general. I've driven Altimas, Corollas, and Evolutions. Maybe it's due to everything warming up already because of the extreme heat? Because you know, cars always run better when it's warm.
You car should feel best when it is "Warmed up", however, hot weather will make any car slower. Colder air is best for making power, the only reason is might be slower INITIALLY in the colder is because it takes longer for the car to warm up. I have always found my cars feel the best in cold weather, especially my EVO
Old 05-20-08, 09:04 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbo cars love cold air, not hot air, that's for sure. My IS doesn't drive any better/faster when it's hot outside, not at all.
Old 05-20-08, 09:24 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

It's odd though, I mean recently--the weather here in southern california has reached 104 degrees in the Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga area (those who live there know how miserable it was). The accelerator was so responsive and require very little effort to go fast. Even with the AC turned on, it wants to go.

Comparing that to an afternoon drive in the cooler months of February, March, and April, the driving experience was a bit different. The gas pedal seems to stick and at times, I would have to floor it just to get the car to respond to get out of that low gear.

For the most part, it drives fine though. Just something I observed.
Old 05-20-08, 09:26 AM
orbital817
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars with a turbo DEFINITELY run faster in the cold weather, I don't know if it makes a difference in a normally aspirated car though. hmmmmm
Old 05-20-08, 09:28 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
Turbo cars love cold air, not hot air, that's for sure. My IS doesn't drive any better/faster when it's hot outside, not at all.
Thats an understatement! I used to love driving my EVO is the freezing temps. It felt incredible! I do not notice driving N/A cars any difference in acceleration from the temperature outside either, but theoretically, it will make more power, but definitely so negligible, we would never feel it.
Old 05-20-08, 11:01 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Cold air definitely makes a car perform better than hot air due to better air-to-fuel ratio. In a hot day the air is less condensed with fewer air molecules within a certain volume, and the opposite in cold weather. So any car will perform better due to a better air/fuel ratio in cold, especially for force induction vehicles, which squeeze more air into the engine. That's why we put "cold-air" intake kit in our cars which is designed to avoid hot engine air. Theoratically you should get better gas mileage in the cold.
Old 05-20-08, 12:06 PM
iStyle
Driver

I know my car sounds noticeably better in warm weather.

And rattles disappear (for the most part) when the temperature rises above 40*F.
Old 05-20-08, 01:09 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i think im with the op, when its warmer outside my car drives smoother. the car gets warmer faster(because its warmer outside) and the car is quiter and drives smoother then driving in the winter. it could be physcological though

also my mpg has gotten slightly worse and feel like im not getting all the hp when i gas the car, us 250 owners need all the hp we can get hehe.