IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cutting rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 01:12 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cutting rear bumper

Has anyone modified their rear spoiler around the exhausts opening to make room for a bigger / quad exhaust?

I went to porsche to test fit a few quad exhaust tips. I really fell in love with the quad one for the 997 carrera. But it wouldnt fit and id have to modifiy the bumper by around 1 inch and 0.5 inch for each side for the exhaust to fit

Has anyone done this? if so how much would it cost? My main problem that i see is that our exhausts are already pushed as far as possible to each end of the bumper and not sure how it would turn out if i end up cutting through the bumper ( at a shop obviously)
Old 05-20-08, 02:30 PM
Letz250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´ve had this done for my TRC exhaust. It came with patterns so they simply had to cut around the lines. Don´t remember the exact price but was around EUR 100. Got it even done a 2nd time after I got rear ended. (Insurance paid it.) Worked out perfectly both times and was done by different shops.
Old 05-20-08, 09:42 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Nice 100 euros doesnt sound so bad. probably get it done alot cheaper here. Im really interested in getting this done now as i really want that quad look

By the way any idea how many inches they cut out? Im thinking i may need to buy the ehxuasts first and then get it done as i dont have cut-out pattern to go wtih
Old 05-20-08, 11:48 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

also let me know if you had to paint the whole bumper after they cut through. or did u just cut and leave it exposed?
Old 05-21-08, 04:37 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

I have PDF files and an instruction pic of the patterns. If you want, you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. So if you print 'em out you get an idea of what needs to be done. Maybe they'll even fit with your exhaust.
Re-painting the bumper isn't necessary. But as there is a sharp edge I used a rubber door protection trim to give it a more finished look:

Old 05-21-08, 08:21 PM
cbunz55
Rookie

Sorry if this seems like I'm jacking the thread, but how does the TRC exhaust sound? Any clips or videos?
Old 05-21-08, 09:48 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Looks nice, I say don't be afraid of cutting the rear bumper. Just measure and use a sharpie to mark up the bumper. Once you have gotten to the point where you like how it might look, get paper and trace it out. Take that stencil and trace it on the other side. from there cut it up and it should be butter. the bumper is really flexible, just take your time with the dremel and like the guy stated above, use a thin door liner to cover up any oops or rough edges.

i wish i could do this on my 3GS, but I have a lip kit and i dont think i want to cut into that. i say u lead the way for people... u know how it is, everyone jumps on aboard whens someone does it.
Old 05-21-08, 11:03 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Letz250
I have PDF files and an instruction pic of the patterns. If you want, you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. So if you print 'em out you get an idea of what needs to be done. Maybe they'll even fit with your exhaust.
Re-painting the bumper isn't necessary. But as there is a sharp edge I used a rubber door protection trim to give it a more finished look:

PM sent. BTW i had the same idea with the rubber trim. i like it, looks really good. where did u get it from?

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Looks nice, I say don't be afraid of cutting the rear bumper. Just measure and use a sharpie to mark up the bumper. Once you have gotten to the point where you like how it might look, get paper and trace it out. Take that stencil and trace it on the other side. from there cut it up and it should be butter. the bumper is really flexible, just take your time with the dremel and like the guy stated above, use a thin door liner to cover up any oops or rough edges.

i wish i could do this on my 3GS, but I have a lip kit and i dont think i want to cut into that. i say u lead the way for people... u know how it is, everyone jumps on aboard whens someone does it.
I may just do this. To get it done at a shop may be costly, so i might DIY. hope I dont F up my car. shall i go with a dremel or would a tin snip work jsut as well?

Last edited by ndk83; 05-22-08 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 07:08 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

PM replied, e-mail sent!
@cbunz55: Sorry I don't have any clips, my video cam is scr**d up and recording with the cell phone won't do it justice.
The distributors's description comes close to it: deep growling sound at low rpm, hardly louder than stock. At WOT, giving the engine a "V8-like note" without getting too loud (85dB). -No worry, a real V8 cannot be replaced by this -
OK, tried my best with the description but it's no sound...