IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 totalled??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 05:07 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
$20K in damage? That car is done. Go through your insurance (which will in turn deal with their insurance) because that car will need to be totalled, and you don't want their insurance cutting any corners to save money.

Javier
Originally Posted by jpmotdyn
Yeah my dad had liabilty only but the company im sure has a good policy....
If your dad doesn't have collision coverage, he won't be able to go through his own company. Even though he'll have to deal with the other driver's company, I agree with the other posters, your dad should push hard for them to total the car.
Old 05-21-08, 05:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
If your dad doesn't have collision coverage, he won't be able to go through his own company. Even though he'll have to deal with the other driver's company, I agree with the other posters, your dad should push hard for them to total the car.
Why would he NOT have collision on a $35K auto? If so, he'll have to come out of pocket for a rental and other expenses while the other insurance company "investigates" the claim, before they determine liability.
Old 05-21-08, 06:16 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had $23,330 in damage done to my '08 and it was totaled.
Old 05-21-08, 06:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
+1

you will have to go threw the other parties insurance if this is the case.

At this point I would call your Insurance agent and find out what you have for coverage and see what the best option is.

I hope your dad is okay! Sounds like a really bad accident....
Old 05-21-08, 06:25 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they total the car, its going to be a tough fight to get enough to buy a new car.
Old 05-21-08, 06:37 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister was massivley rear eneded by a work dump truck and her car was totaled as well as the car she was pushed into at a traffic light. These companies have fleet account insurance. It is best to have them pay off the vehicle via a check at fair market value (this is negotiable). As I always state, make sure to not settle on the medical portion of the policy as your father will more than likely develop some sort of delayed whiplash. I had been through 6 months of rehab and the insurance companies always want you to settle asap to close the claim.
Old 05-21-08, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually a vehicle's damage much meet or exceed 75% of the vehicle's book worth to be totaled.
$20K is close call on an '08 250..

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-21-08 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 04:22 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why would he NOT have collision on a $35K auto? If so, he'll have to come out of pocket for a rental and other expenses while the other insurance company "investigates" the claim, before they determine liability.
Because the idiot Geico rep didnt listen to him and sold him a liability policy only!! They are investigating now and it has been 2 weeks!!
Old 05-21-08, 04:24 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
+1

you will have to go threw the other parties insurance if this is the case.

At this point I would call your Insurance agent and find out what you have for coverage and see what the best option is.

I hope your dad is okay! Sounds like a really bad accident....
As for right now he is ok, hasnt got an MRI yet, but he has slight neck pain. Accident didnt look bad but when the body shop showed me the buckling behind the rear seats i knew there was severe frame damage!!
Old 05-21-08, 04:26 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
My sister was massivley rear eneded by a work dump truck and her car was totaled as well as the car she was pushed into at a traffic light. These companies have fleet account insurance. It is best to have them pay off the vehicle via a check at fair market value (this is negotiable). As I always state, make sure to not settle on the medical portion of the policy as your father will more than likely develop some sort of delayed whiplash. I had been through 6 months of rehab and the insurance companies always want you to settle asap to close the claim.

Thanks for the advice. I was rear ended myself BAD a few years ago in my 745Li. That repair was 4 months and $16k. The car was fixed however ever since i have lower back issues. His insurance had the state minimum and I didnt have underinsured at the time.
Old 05-21-08, 04:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jpmotdyn
Because the idiot Geico rep didnt listen to him and sold him a liability policy only!! They are investigating now and it has been 2 weeks!!

Didn't he check his policy and realize the cost is cheap because of no theft,comprehensive and collision?
Old 05-21-08, 04:53 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

I hope everything goes right with you..sorry to hear about the accident.

do you have pics of the damage? maybe we can help see whether it's totalled or not
Old 05-21-08, 05:05 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow another one bites the dust
Old 05-21-08, 05:34 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Didn't he check his policy and realize the cost is cheap because of no theft,comprehensive and collision?
The rep quoted him $480 and he thought that was the 6 month premium.
Old 05-21-08, 05:35 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
I hope everything goes right with you..sorry to hear about the accident.

do you have pics of the damage? maybe we can help see whether it's totalled or not
I will take some pics. It didnt look that bad at first but after the body shop took it apart and showed me the damage, then it was!!

Quick Reply: 2008 IS250 totalled??