IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto Locking Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 08:35 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Auto Locking Doors?

I've read in a few threads that the doors on your IS lock after you turn off the car after a certain period of time. My car doesn't do that for some reason. If I leave the car and come back it's always unlocked if I left if that way. Is this something I can adjust?

I searched the FAQs and looked at all the Lexus Personalized settings and couldn't find anything on this. Is this an actual feature?
Old 05-22-08, 08:44 AM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know this too. I like only pulling on the handle to open the door and I wish just closing the door would lock it.
Old 05-22-08, 08:56 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As far as I know... The only way to lock the car after you exit is to press the button on the key fob or press the button on the door. Their is no automatic locking after you exit the car. Some aftermarket systems offer this feature but I don't think they are compatable with the IS.
Old 05-22-08, 09:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Don't Get Locked Out!!!

Also, if you unlock the doors, but open the rear doors only, the car will lock itself if 30 seconds.

I got locked out of my car once when this happened. I unlocked the front door, opened the rear door, and threw in my bag with car keys. Next thing I know, the car locked itself!!!

When you unlock the car, you will need to open the front door to prevent the car from locking itself. Otherwise, it's the default safety feature.
Old 05-22-08, 09:11 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Also, if you unlock the doors, but open the rear doors only, the car will lock itself if 30 seconds.

I got locked out of my car once when this happened. I unlocked the front door, opened the rear door, and threw in my bag with car keys. Next thing I know, the car locked itself!!!

When you unlock the car, you will need to open the front door to prevent the car from locking itself. Otherwise, it's the default safety feature.
With the key inside the car, would it still lock you out? Doesn't the car the detect the key is inside and you should be able to unlock the front doors by tapping the back of the door handles? I've always been curious what would happen if the key got accidentally locked inside the car.
Old 05-22-08, 09:20 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys.

for the last post.. you can definitely lock the doors with a key inside the car - in the cupholder at least.
Old 05-22-08, 09:33 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cleethree
thanks guys.

for the last post.. you can definitely lock the doors with a key inside the car - in the cupholder at least.
But will you be able to unlock it from the outside if the key is locked inside?
Old 05-22-08, 09:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
With the key inside the car, would it still lock you out? Doesn't the car the detect the key is inside and you should be able to unlock the front doors by tapping the back of the door handles? I've always been curious what would happen if the key got accidentally locked inside the car.
You can't unlock the back doors by tapping on it. Well, not on the IS, but you can do it on the GS, ES, and LS.

If you don't physically open the front door, the car will interpret that you have not entered the car. If you open the back door but not the front, the car will think that you are still outside the car. It will then automatically lock all the doors in 30 seconds. Even if the keys are inside the car, it will not detect it until you have opened (and closed) the front doors.

If you get locked out this way, the only way to get in is to use your second key to enter the car. Or by breaking a window...
Old 05-22-08, 09:38 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

You can't unlock the back doors by tapping on it. Well, not on the IS, but you can do it on the GS, ES, and LS.

If you don't physically open the front door, the car will interpret that you have not entered the car. If you open the back door but not the front, the car will think that you are still outside the car. It will then automatically lock all the doors in 30 seconds. Even if the keys are inside the car, it will not detect it until you have opened (and closed) the front doors.

If you get locked out this way, the only way to get in is to use your second key to enter the car. Or by breaking a window...
I see. So if I leave the key inside the car and lock it by pressing the button in the front door. It won't detect it and I won't be able to open it unless I have an extra key?

Sorry, i just wanted a clarification.
Old 05-22-08, 09:44 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very weird. I know that most (if not all) Toyota/Lexus models have the feature where when you unlock the doors using the fob, it will relock if no doors are opened within 30 seconds.

But, even on my 04 corolla, if you opened the back door, it would remain unlocked. The only time that it would relock the doors was if you only opened the trunk (no remote trunk release BTW). What stunk with that car is that you HAD to unlock the doors to open the trunk with the key, or else the alarm would go off. Yet, opening the trunk didn't allow the doors to remained unlocked. Weird

I'll have to try what you're talking about. It seems EXTREMELY weird, because doesn't the car know when a specific door is open (shows on the dash display).

But, that's good advice to prevent it from happening to other IS owners.
Old 05-22-08, 09:57 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't this solve the problem with the other thread where the guy wanted to go surfing and put his key somewhere safe? This means that he can put his physical key in his wetsuit, lock the car, unlock the car, open the back door and throw the key under the driver's seat and the car will lock itself.
Old 05-22-08, 10:05 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Whew - thought I was crazy for a second in the other thread =)
Old 05-22-08, 10:06 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
Wouldn't this solve the problem with the other thread where the guy wanted to go surfing and put his key somewhere safe? This means that he can put his physical key in his wetsuit, lock the car, unlock the car, open the back door and throw the key under the driver's seat and the car will lock itself.
I didn't read that thread but is it not possible to unlock the car, put your key inside and then lock the car manually by pressing the lock button (the one that locks all the door) in the door and then close it?
Old 05-22-08, 10:06 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

the sensors they use in lexus are fairly sensitive and from my understanding there are no sensors in the back seat.

one time i accidentally but the key fob inside the trunk and closed it. once i realized what i did i tried opening the trunk but it didn't open. good thing i had the front window rolled down.
Old 05-22-08, 10:14 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by badpinoy
the sensors they use in lexus are fairly sensitive and from my understanding there are no sensors in the back seat.

one time i accidentally but the key fob inside the trunk and closed it. once i realized what i did i tried opening the trunk but it didn't open. good thing i had the front window rolled down.
i also did the same thing once. but it detected that the key is inside and it allowed me to press the trunk opener button from the trunk itself..and pop..the trunk opened and I was able to retrieve the key..

Quick Reply: Auto Locking Doors?