IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snow Mode = Gas Saving Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08 | 03:26 PM
windfall12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Buds
Based on you're argument here it's obvious you've never even done any real world testing. You are simply going off of assumptions... Even if you were only going to see a 2 MPG increase then based on your math one would save $270 over the course of a year... I could take that $270 and buy a lot of things other than gas!
I agree. I just try to measure cost against benefit. For me, savings of $270 spreaded during the year don't justify loss of power, loss of fun, and everyday irritation of drivers behind me (I realistically don't see how ISx50 in snow mode can keep up with Seattle street traffic. I tried.).

There are many ways to save $270 that are less painful. I guess turning unneeded lights down in your whole home for a year and using fluorescent bulbs will save about the same. Shutting down PC at night as opposed to keeping it on all the time. Etc. Etc.

Anyway... In 10 years we all will drive hybrids.
Old 05-29-08 | 03:35 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by windfall12

Anyway... In 10 years we all will drive hybrids.
Very True!
Old 05-29-08 | 04:08 PM
Torii
Intermediate

I dont think this applies to the awd's out there because that will effect the front and rear diff's which mean alot more wear and tear.

my understanding is that snow mode creates a 50/50 split on the diff's while the other modes are 70/30 fr/rr
Old 05-31-08 | 04:45 PM
wkw84
Driver
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Torii
I dont think this applies to the awd's out there because that will effect the front and rear diff's which mean alot more wear and tear.

my understanding is that snow mode creates a 50/50 split on the diff's while the other modes are 70/30 fr/rr

is that really true? i hope not.. i would like to milk out as many miles from my tank as i can, because i have a 100 mile a day commute.. and that's only monday through friday!
Old 05-31-08 | 05:03 PM
Immaterial
Driver School Candidate

gas hit 4.60 for premium.

bleh.
Old 05-31-08 | 06:35 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Moved here from Chi-town & Dont miss those high a$$ gas prices...premium is only $3.99 here in Phoenix!
Old 05-31-08 | 06:39 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Also one final question...

Does driving in SNOW mode all the time hurt the car in any way?

I love the extra 2-3 MPG i get! When you switch to normal the car feels like a rocket! lol (yes its a 250)
Old 06-01-08 | 05:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Buds
Snow mode does make the gas pedal seem like it weighs 2000 pounds but it really does help with gas mileage. I was actually experimenting with this on the highway today. I was cruising along at 70 in normal mode and my "current MPG" display was showing I was getting approximately 28-30 MPG. As soon as I hit the Snow button, my current MPG jumped to 40-45 MPG without losing any speed.
I did the same experiment and saw no change in my instantaneous mpg. I tried it five different times on flats, uphill, and downhill. No change at all.

You might save mpg in snow mode, but it's not inherent in snow mode, its inherent in thinking about mpg while driving. If I focus on being conservative, my mpg goes up pretty significantly (I've seen 26 mpg with city driving in my 350), but if I accelerate hard from just a few lights over the course of a tank, I'll be down to 22.5 - 23.0 indicated every time.

I've played with all of this stuff extensively. I have over 50k miles on the car now, and I have a pretty clear picture of what I need to do to save gas if I choose to. Setting the transmission programming to snow isn't part of it.
Old 06-01-08 | 05:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Torii

Is this documented somewhere? I haven't been able to find anything related to this in any of the Lexus documentation (service manuals, new car features, etc) on techinfo.toyota.com.
Old 06-02-08 | 08:19 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I did the same experiment and saw no change in my instantaneous mpg. I tried it five different times on flats, uphill, and downhill. No change at all.

You might save mpg in snow mode, but it's not inherent in snow mode, its inherent in thinking about mpg while driving. If I focus on being conservative, my mpg goes up pretty significantly (I've seen 26 mpg with city driving in my 350), but if I accelerate hard from just a few lights over the course of a tank, I'll be down to 22.5 - 23.0 indicated every time.

I've played with all of this stuff extensively. I have over 50k miles on the car now, and I have a pretty clear picture of what I need to do to save gas if I choose to. Setting the transmission programming to snow isn't part of it.
Interesting. While I certainly agree that increasing MPGs is not an inherent property of snow mode, snow mode definitely helps you drive more conservatively.

That being said, I have found that I notice the biggest difference in MPGs while in Snow mode if I'm going 40 or under. Just this morning I was cruising in traffic at 30 MPH and getting just under 30 MPG in normal mode. Keeping my right foot in the exact same place, I switched to Snow Mode and my Current MPGs jumped immediately to somewhere between 35-40 MPG. Then again, we are talking about two completely different engines here.
Old 06-02-08 | 09:39 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I tried snow mode, and I didn't notice any significant difference in mpg. What I did notice is that snow mode turned my IS350 into a fricken slug. Ahhhhhhh!!! I won't be using snow mode for daily driving anytime soon again
Old 06-02-08 | 06:35 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I tried snow mode, and I didn't notice any significant difference in mpg. What I did notice is that snow mode turned my IS350 into a fricken slug. Ahhhhhhh!!! I won't be using snow mode for daily driving anytime soon again
A "significant" improvement in MPG is not expected.

A small gain should be considered as saving gas.
Old 06-02-08 | 06:58 PM
Accord-R
Rookie

In the IS300 it also retarded the timing in the car reducing power and in the automatics it would start the car in second.
Old 06-02-08 | 07:07 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Smokin350
A "significant" improvement in MPG is not expected. A small gain should be considered as saving gas.
Let me rephrase that, I saw no improvement at all in my city mpg. So no gas saved for me.
Old 06-03-08 | 12:40 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
Let me rephrase that, I saw no improvement at all in my city mpg. So no gas saved for me.
Thank you for your clarification.

Quick Reply: Snow Mode = Gas Saving Mode?