IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snow Mode = Gas Saving Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 12:44 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokin350
From my experiments with ECT snow mode, I say yes it does help fuel ecomomy.

In ECT Snow mode, our Electronically Controlled Transmission is tuned down so the wheels don't spin out easily in any weather, particularly snow. To achieve this, the vehicle's throttle response must be dampened. That is why the car "feels like crap" and you have to floor it to get the RPMs reving and even then the car won't downshift for optimal performance. All of these consequences of being in snow mode, IMO, contribute to fuel efficiency.

I find that the combination of snow and cruise is the most effective. I don't believe cruise can hurt your car. Yes the car will "do all it can" to keep it's speed, but really that 's not much at all. In this combo mode, using the cruise control to accel is super slow which sucks for gettin-up but great for fuel economy because the engine is hardly working.

I've tested from a full fill-up and for the entiretly of that tank be in snow mode. I'd say I drive 50/50 highway/city and granted I was 'gas-conscious" I've been able to get 23-24 MPGs. I rarely get more than 20 MPGs in normal mode driving normally in my 350.

Your driving dynamics certainly influences your MPGs. But I would suspect under equal driving conditions, snow mode will still save you gas over normal and especially power, since it kinda forces you to drive like a granny.
it really does force you to drive and acel slower...
Old 06-03-08, 01:12 PM
Sooner350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's for sure, but I did notice decent gas mileage. I don't know if there is an increase, but I'll know pretty soon since I drive close to 200 miles per day.

P.S. this is my first post. I have been a reader of the forum for awhile. This is a great community, and I hope to contribute.
Old 06-03-08, 01:18 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sooner350
That's for sure, but I did notice decent gas mileage. I don't know if there is an increase, but I'll know pretty soon since I drive close to 200 miles per day.

P.S. this is my first post. I have been a reader of the forum for awhile. This is a great community, and I hope to contribute.
Welcome aboard!

It seems as if I'm the only 250 owner trying so save gas since the majority of posters here who said Snow mode had little to no effect on their cars were 350 owners. Any other 250 owners have similar experiences to mine?
Old 06-03-08, 01:39 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

well being that i have the LS430, i have to save gas..
very simple what i do, i watch the rpms and dont let it get passed 2000..
im 17 years old so you can imagine im alwayz driving fast and like a lunatic..
in the neighborhood id be at 6000 rmps
but i see a HUGE change in how much im filling up by not keeping it over 2000..
you guys should try it see how that helps

and 1 more thing i noticed,
nobody answered if putting it in snow mode is healthy for your car lol
Old 06-03-08, 06:30 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

I've tried it with a full tank and got about 370 miles in one tank while in Snow mode. Without Snow mode I usually get about 300 miles in one tank. I say YES it's works. But do we know if this screws up the transmission when you are on the highway going 70mph?
Old 06-03-08, 06:35 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by andyboy
I've tried it with a full tank and got about 370 miles in one tank while in Snow mode. Without Snow mode I usually get about 300 miles in one tank. I say YES it's works. But do we know if this screws up the transmission when you are on the highway going 70mph?
how would it screw it up? i do not see how it can...
Old 06-03-08, 07:09 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
how would it screw it up? i do not see how it can...
I've tried driving around in snow mode. It feels like the converter locks a LOT lower, and seeing as I have an AWD, I don't know what snow mode does with the center diff. I saw great gas mileage while I did it, but after really thinking it through, I'm not going to risk it. I noticed the converter acting differently, so I know it doesn't just cut throttle response and timing. Until I know that snow mode is safe for AWD, I'll enjoy the peace of mind of driving without it while being obscenely gentle with the pedal on the right.
Old 12-28-10, 02:45 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I find this thread very interesting so i'm going to bring it back from the dead. I recently accepted a new position at my company where I am commuting to a different location and I now travel 70 miles a day round trip with about 25% city and 75% highway. While driving on the highway I thought my MPG's would get much better but im really only averaging 22.5-23.5 MPG (tank average) with my new commute. My commute is very inconsistent as i hit traffic in small bursts which breaks up my cruise and kills my MPG. I maintain a speed of roughly 65-75 mph based upon the traffic and try to keep it very consistent. One thing I noticed about my car which is a 2008 IS350 is that the throttle is very touchy. I can be crusing at a constant speed but any variance in the speed of even 1-2 mph will cause the car to downshift ever so slightly.

So for the last day I decided to give snow mode a shot and driving in snow mode for 100% of my commute. At first I was completely astonished by the results. I went from averaging 22-22.5 MPG to 24-24.5 MPG in just one day. I maintained my driving style and speed and my MPG just keeps getting better. By the end of the week my average should be around 27-28 MPG. I changed my cluster to show current gear and it's very obvious that snow mode makes the throttle much less touchy and keeps me in the highest gear possible. I really don't leave 6th gear for my entire highway commute and with 306 horsepower i'm still able to easily overtake any slower traffic while keeping my current MPG above 30 and not dropping. The one thing I don't understnad about snow mode is what it does "electronically". Sure it keeps me in the highest gear but it's more than that and I can't put my finger on it. To test this I set my cruise control at 70mph and I was driivng on a flat surface with no inclines or declines. I had my car in snow mode and I was averaging about 40 MPG current, I then flip it into normal mode and the car's MPG drops and I start to slowly accelerate, I then flip it into power and the MPG drops below 20 and my car accelerates even quicker. However keep in mind i'm in cruise control and have no control over the throlle and the car automatically set the throttle position.

I find this to be very interesting to say the least. However snow mode is a good way to be more economical, this is a fact. I tend to drive with a lead foot and even if i decide to get more aggressive in snow mode, my current MPG stays above 30 the whole time as I never downshift out of 6th. When I used to drive a manual in my Evo 8 I would never leave 5th on the highway as the car had plenty of power to overtake anyone so the same applies to the 350. Very interesting results to say the least. I don't really think Lexus explains what occurs in snow mode.