IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just Bought IS350, I Wish It Had......... Like My Last Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 04:39 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Bought IS350, I Wish It Had......... Like My Last Car

I bought my IS350 about 3 weeks ago. It has Lux, ML, Nav, Park Assist, XM.
My previous car was an Infiniti M45. I had a 1997 Supra TT and a 1993 RX7 TT before that, my younger days. After almost a month of owenership, I really like the Lexus a great deal but wish it had some minor features my Infiniti had. It's really nitpicking though, but I wish the IS had a Tire Pressure Monitoring system that actually showed the PSI of each tire like my Infiniti, rather than tell me just when it was low like on the Lexus. That was a huge bonus. I also wished it had A/C seats blow in the back for the these hot Texas summers instead of just the seat. Another thing, I wish my IS had a level switch that allows me to raise or lower the Xenons. It looks like with this car if I lower it, I will have to adjust a screw each time to get it leveled the way it needs to be. Sounds time consuming.

Besides all those minor issues, I am loving this car. Performance is formidable with luxury amenities. It's a cross b/t the M45 and the Supra. I'm liking it!
Any options you all wish this car had from previous cars or in general?
Old 05-23-08, 05:09 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with you on the TPMS and the manual leveler for the HIDs. Knowing Toyota corporate, they would probably just make the highest setting on the leveler too low anyways.

Since I am coming from an Accord, there's not much that the Lexus doesn't have covered. Except the teeny cupholder. Why is it there by itself? Too hard to make that thing wider and be two cupholders? Ooh and I wish the seats had cooled air instead of just fan ventilation air. And that the outlets in the center console were deeper in so I could plug SOMETHING in there.
Old 05-23-08, 05:40 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Totally agree, it's a guessing game every time that tire warning comes on. At least tell me which tire is low... thanks lexus, thanks for nothing. lol.
Old 05-23-08, 06:04 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

i had a chevy cobalt rental and it showed each tire pressure. unreal. definitely an oversight on lexus' part.

im assuming the ls460 doesnt even do this (my guess is that all lexi share tehse type of electronics). That is even more sad.

as for the seat ventilator i believe it does come out the seat back but the flow is not much.
Old 05-23-08, 06:14 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
i had a chevy cobalt rental and it showed each tire pressure. unreal. definitely an oversight on lexus' part.

im assuming the ls460 doesnt even do this (my guess is that all lexi share tehse type of electronics). That is even more sad.

as for the seat ventilator i believe it does come out the seat back but the flow is not much.
Yeah I know. I had a pontiac G6 basic model rental. It showed each tire pressure too.

That is one thing that I HATE about the TPMS is you have to guess which tire is low.
Old 05-24-08, 08:20 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

you gotta remember too that your coming from a flagship infiniti to and entry level lexus
Old 05-24-08, 08:53 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Yeah I know. I had a pontiac G6 basic model rental. It showed each tire pressure too.

That is one thing that I HATE about the TPMS is you have to guess which tire is low.
I recently picked up a Silverado and it does the same thing. I can't compare the truck to an IS because I don't have one but for being a truck it came with some pretty neat and unexpected features.
Old 05-24-08, 09:13 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought I felt the seat coolers blew on the lower back, too.
Old 05-24-08, 09:27 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

I came from 07 Vette to the IS 350. I wish it had a little more power. But I think I will be picking up a F in the next year or so and be back in the 400 HP crowd again.
Old 05-24-08, 11:01 AM
LIS350A
Driver

I had an '04 Acura TL and miss: XM, being able use the memory seats with the power off, being able to shut off the blinking seatbelt light, the odometer on the right side, looser steering, placement of the window buttons (always rolling down the back, have to reach for the front), and on the steering wheel I used to be able to just hold at 6 o'clock.
Old 05-24-08, 11:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Sadly you can read the tire pressures with the Lexus scan tools, Lexus just didn't see fit to give us this (IMHO) critically important piece of info. For example - I'm driving down the road, and the pressure warning comes on. Is it front or rear? If it's front, I'm going to do something very different than if it is rear. But since I don't know, I"m going to have to shake the wheel to get a feel for where I'm low before hitting brakes or pulling off or...not what I'd prefer at all.

Yeah, the window switches are too far forward. It took me about 6 months to develop the right muscle memory to reach for them without mentally focusing on the task.

Lexus/Toyota/Scion do not believe in user adjustable things outside of seats and mirrors. Euro Supras had a switch and leveler for their lights. Lexus has only an automated system for this. It would not be terribly difficult to modify the existing system with a wire hack and a potentiometer, but the ideal solution would be to directly manipulate the AFS ECU. Toyota just won't allow Americans this option. It's no different than the auto window UP feature found outside the US, but not for US spec cars. It's a simple software change, so it's not like there's additional cost, but TMS/Lexus USA's attorneys have decided we are too happy to litigate when someone stupidly rolls up the windows without check to see if there is a body part in the way.
Old 05-24-08, 11:46 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Why does everyone complain about cupholders? There are really 4 of them, Two in the center console and two bottle holders.

I put the big drinks in the cup holder in the console and the smaller ones in holder near the shifter.. hmm
Old 05-24-08, 12:03 PM
08mica
Pole Position

I wish the dash showed the date like my audi did.

Big one.
Wish I could set the "on" volume for the stereo. If I get in and the last timeI was listeneing to the radio up loud it blows me away. In the Audi you could set the volume at like 9 so everytime the car was turned on the radio went back to that default volume.

1 more--- Free maintenence. What luxury car doesn't get that anymore?
Old 05-24-08, 12:48 PM
Kris Laes
Driver School Candidate

My IS has the manual height adjustment lever for the headlights...

I guess for Xenons they do only the automatic one since it's obligatory to have automatic height adjustment for the lights in many countries when you have xenons. (as well as a some kind of automatic headlight cleaning by the way)
Old 05-24-08, 12:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
I always thought I felt the seat coolers blew on the lower back, too.
They definitely blow on the back.

My minor nit pick is with the AC controls. My TL remembered what the Auto Climate setting was when you turned it off. When you hit "Auto" again, it went back those settings (I don't always want the fan to come on full blast--and it I manually set it to low last time it would be set there again) BUT it you push "Auto" a second time, it went to full auto. This was also good for using the front defrost-- in the IS, I have to hit "Auto" then defrost, then maunually change the fan speed if I don't want full blast, even if it was set that way b4 I turned it off.

Quick Reply: Just Bought IS350, I Wish It Had......... Like My Last Car