IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 or C350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 12:11 PM
HBcubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I will say that I really like the extrior of the new C-class. I think it looks really agreessive and the entire car seems to flow very well.

However, again as previously stated, the issue of reliability comes to mind. I've had many friends who have had C-classes in the past and the common complaints are that the car often breaks and the cost to repair the vehicle is ridiculously expensive.

For me, it really came down to the reliability of the vehicle. I knew that I was giong to have this car for at least 5 years and I didn't want to spend money to constantly repair it.
Old 05-24-08, 01:03 PM
cheappc
Driver

Dont mean to sound terribe.. But take it to a guy who ordered the brand new 2001 C240 6 months before it came out... (i had it for a agonizing 5 years).

It was the most terrible experience I ever had in a vehicle. I took it to the shop 52 times (im not exagerating). It left me in the middle of the road a couple of times, they kept saying it was the "Front Passenger SAM", then "Rear Passenger SAM", some computer glitches. The car wouldnt start. The car even turned off on me while I was making a left turn (that should be a safety concern).

They tried to say the lemon law didnt apply, because it was 52 different things that went wrong with the car.

And to sum it up, if you really look at the chrysler sebring:

and the mercedes c350:

ummmm it seems they sharing a lot of stuff (I might be wrong, but with my c240 it shared a lot of components).

For those problems, just get a BMW 328 coupe, or 335i coupe...

I wouldnt go back to Mercedez unless it a big one.
Old 05-24-08, 05:08 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ch1ldxtc
Hey guys, I'm new at posting. I just wanted to grab some opinions from this thread which I check out a lot. I envy you guys with all the new cars! But I might have the chance to finally own an IS myself. Don't want to jinx it but it might be a graduation present.

I'm doing research and I'm leaning more towards the IS. What do you guys suggest? I researched both cars. They are around the same price. The IS has many things going for it and if I'm correct, it has a backup camera, but the C350 does not. The IS has more power, and the gauges are a plus compared to the C350. Another plus is the push button start.

But what the C350 lacks in power, it makes up for in room, and the multimedia center. It has bluetooth standard and a more aggressive chassis. For some reason, theres something about the C-Class that draws me to it as well.

Please post some relevant reviews or comparisons between these two cars or give me your opinions for those who have already owned one. Thanks in advance.
Ahh, the allure of the three pointed star... It's definitely a draw, but if you drive them both there should be no comparison. The Lexus wins by a mile... At least it did for me!
Old 05-25-08, 08:41 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

My mom has a C320 4matic sport edition, and the car is absolutely amazing. It rides smoother than my 250(just realized this may be because of my aftermarket wheels and balding tires...), although i dont know if i like the interior as much. The steering wheel is tighter, and i dont think the seats are as comfortable or sport orientated (hold you in place around quick turns). I also dont like the sound system as much, my mom blew out a speaker already, and she's an old lady (may have been from blasting donna summers?), and the buttons arent as smooth, its hard to explain, but the design isnt as.. soft? Hers was 2002 though, so i'm not sure how much the interior of the MB has changed. She hasnt had a drop of maintenance issues (except a cracked rim, which was her fault), and the car runs fantastic. If your going for the IS350 price range though, i think you could think about splurging just a little bit more for the C63 AMG, which starts at 52, i think the 350 now starts at the mid 40's?? just a thought, i'm in love with the C63 hehe

now as for the pro-lexus statement: Lexus rox, service is impeccable (my mom has had some problems at MB dealers over maintenance service schedules and other crap, and has been given a PT Cruiser as a loaner...), The outside of the 350 is just plain gorgeous, especially with some of the common mods (redouts, etc.), and the interior is smooth and luxurious. As said before, you need to test drive them both, maybe more than once, and you'll know immediatly which car is yours. Make sure while your testing it though to pay attention to the dash and console, see if it fits you and how easy it is for you to change channels/AC/any other type of settings, and which configuration you like more. And one more thing to keep in mind, as much of an allure as power is, you will mostl ikely never actually use the engine's full power, idk how many people here have topped out their cars, but its probably a very small amount. So if your decision lies in a couple HP, just remember that those extra couple mph's at the top end shouldnt make or break your decision

good luck on your decision, whichever one you take though, make sure you don't look back, otherwise you'll be 2nd guessing your car every day. Pick what you want, and then love your choice.. its the only way to be happy.

Last edited by Scythe; 05-25-08 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:14 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C350 dude, it looks so nice with the sport package
Old 05-25-08, 11:15 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The Benz is kind of ugly, I saw them at the auto show right next to the Honda Accord and they are very similar from some angles. Strange how stylists all kind of are moving toward the hideous Bangle look. Maybe that dude really was the innovator, he keeps getting better jobs so he must be doing something right.
Old 05-25-08, 05:03 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

the main factor when i determined i wanted a IS350 was reliability. Also toyota maintenance is a hell of alot cheaper then bmw or mercedes. Sure bmw offers that 5 year maintenance thing but if you read the contract the price for the maintenance is included in the purchase. its just scam to get you to buy the car ha. But there's some bmw's and mercedes out there that i cream over such as the M series and AMG's. But those arent your everyday C-class and 3 series. so your choice. i would go with IS if i was you.
Old 05-25-08, 10:04 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darkdream
you aren't interested in a 335i?
+1, you should consider a 335i if you don't mind spending about 5 grand or more, unless you don't like the looks of 3 series. I did consider a C350 before I bought my IS350, but IS350's engine is just too powerful comparing to C350's. 335i coupe was my 1st choice but I didn't end up getting one because the dealer didn't let me negotiate the price, I would've ended up paying about $9000 more than my IS if I've gotten the 335i.

Last edited by blk_is300; 05-25-08 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:39 PM
Raffi250
Driver School Candidate

I'm in a similar predicament. Can't decide between the C300 or IS250/350. I have a friend at mercedes who is giving me $1500 off invoice, but I have no friends at Lexus, besdies...if I did, could I get $1500 off invoice with them? I like the exterior of the mercedes and what the name stands for, but I hate the interior, nto even comparable to the Lexus. Mercedes is offering a longer warranty, which confuses me, because if Lexus is such a reliable car, and they are so confident with their machinery, then why not give more than 3 years?? Still confused, if I wasn't, i'd be driving my new car by now. Oh, and bluetooth standard on the mercedes.
Old 05-25-08, 11:56 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles on lexi. I don't think you should buy a car based on what kind of a deal you are going to get.

I would decide on the car first, price be damned, then try to find the best price on that car. If you have to use price, decide on the car based on the absolute best price you can get, not how much off sticker it is. $1500 off invoice is a lot, but there are some very good deals in so cal, especially on 250s.
Old 05-26-08, 12:45 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meefer
The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles on lexi. I don't think you should buy a car based on what kind of a deal you are going to get.

I would decide on the car first, price be damned, then try to find the best price on that car. If you have to use price, decide on the car based on the absolute best price you can get, not how much off sticker it is. $1500 off invoice is a lot, but there are some very good deals in so cal, especially on 250s.
You forgot to mention our Lexus have 6yr/70000miles powertrain warranty. Sometimes price to make a big difference when you're making a decision among a few cars, especially when you're attracted by different features/designs of those cars at the same time. I think most of us are in favor of IS350 because we own one, for someone who does not have a specific preference over a certain manufacturer, a few thousand dollars do make a big difference.
Old 05-26-08, 09:25 AM
OH-MAN
Driver

I was looking at MB before we got the IS I found this site to look through a owner problems. FWIW

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mbusa_complaints.php
Old 05-26-08, 09:49 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

even though the current C-class is worlds better than the previous generations, there are other cars in its class that i find more appealing and "better" - subjectively and objectively.

the C63, however, is a completely different conversation...
Old 05-26-08, 10:35 AM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

My brother has a C350 and he also has had some mechanical problems with it and he is paying a lot for the repairs. Lexus is well known for their reliable cars plus the comfort factor in my car (IS250) compared to his is much better. He said he was going to steal my car. I think I convinced him to trade his in for a Lexus.
Old 05-26-08, 12:56 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OH-MAN
I was looking at MB before we got the IS I found this site to look through a owner problems. FWIW

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mbusa_complaints.php
I read some complaints and wow they are not good at all.

Quick Reply: IS350 or C350?