IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 or C350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 01:42 AM
ch1ldxtc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 or C350?

Hey guys, I'm new at posting. I just wanted to grab some opinions from this thread which I check out a lot. I envy you guys with all the new cars! But I might have the chance to finally own an IS myself. Don't want to jinx it but it might be a graduation present.

I'm doing research and I'm leaning more towards the IS. What do you guys suggest? I researched both cars. They are around the same price. The IS has many things going for it and if I'm correct, it has a backup camera, but the C350 does not. The IS has more power, and the gauges are a plus compared to the C350. Another plus is the push button start.

But what the C350 lacks in power, it makes up for in room, and the multimedia center. It has bluetooth standard and a more aggressive chassis. For some reason, theres something about the C-Class that draws me to it as well.

Please post some relevant reviews or comparisons between these two cars or give me your opinions for those who have already owned one. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-08, 01:52 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go test drive both sit in both and weigh out what you want in a car. When i was deciding on what car to buy when i sat in the ISx50 i knew it was the car for me and other cars just dont quite compare to it. So go test both and see how you like it
Old 05-24-08, 02:00 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

i saw between the C n the IS. i like the outside of a C, but the interior imo sucks. way to much plastic.
Old 05-24-08, 03:30 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also considered the new C-class from MB before I got my IS.

Both are great cars and the newly re-designed C350 looks nice but ultimately it came down to reliablity, since I plan to keep my car for a loooong time. My bro has a 2002 C320 and it has mechanical problems and repairs cost an arm and leg. My mom drives a 1997 Camry, granted it's not a Lexus, but Toyota won me over because to today it still runs like a champ with very low maintainence. I also have a friend who has a 2002 IS300 and he tells me he's never had a single issue with his car.

The thing that turned me off from MB, and BMW, is the fact that they charge additional for metallic paint AND leather. Aren't these suppose to be luxury cars?
Old 05-24-08, 04:27 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C350 looks a little newer and classier in my opinion but the IS350 should be more reliable and has more power.
Old 05-24-08, 05:58 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

No matter what we tell you, it's still gonna come down to what YOU like best, so I suggest you go to the dealer and check them out in person, and if possible, test drive them both so you can make a more informed decision based on the things that you like the most.
Old 05-24-08, 06:26 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

many here talk about reliabity when a few members on here have posted that there IS is in the shop all the time. Very rare but no car is perfect. Buy the car you like and will enjoy. If the car is trouble simply get rid of it before the warranty is up or purchase and extended warranty. I like the BENZ and I have considered it for my wife. Looks much better on the outside but I have not been in it yet to comment on that.

Good luck on you decision.
Old 05-24-08, 08:01 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

I like the outsider look of the new C350 more than the IS350 . But I like the interior look and electronics of the Is350 more than the C350

Also , the IS350 faster than the C350

Summery:
If you care about what ppl says get the C350 better outsider look and NAME (Benz)

If you dunt care more about ppl and you want fun and speed with some sexy look and luxury comfort and sexy interior get the IS350
Old 05-24-08, 08:12 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS350 before C350. Reliability and peace of mind for me are better and will continue to win out over the years.

a backup camera should be insignificant in this choice.
Old 05-24-08, 09:02 AM
OH-MAN
Driver

MB has not lived up to their rep from the past.
My friend that we got our IS from works at a Lexus dealer of course.
They are part of Penske.
The MB dealership that is part of the same Penske group does not even want the used MB's that they are offered when they are traded in to the Lexus dealer???
My friend is a real car guy and told me flat out do not get the MB!! too many problems and low resale.
Not just because he works for the Lexus store he and I have been friends for years.
Old 05-24-08, 10:05 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Mercedes sedans to many people are for old people if you were to get a Benz get a coupe or roadster =P.... I was in the same situation as you deciding among a bunch of cars under 50k... If you really want a Benz get a CLK or SLK... and you aren't interested in a 335i?
btw I had a hand full of friends with C classes and one thing they always tell me it that its falling apart... Get a E class if you really want to get a Benz sedan...
Old 05-24-08, 10:10 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like the new c class design, but i would much rather have the IS350.
Old 05-24-08, 11:17 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

speed = c350
comfort and speed = IS350
Old 05-24-08, 11:25 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123235

Not sure if you trust the mag reviews, but there's one.

For me personally, the Lexus got the "luxury" part down while the MB just pretends. If you want an aggressive chassis, I'd get a BMW or Infiniti since I'd be sacrificing interior quality anyways. Besides, some light mods should help in the handling department. IS FTW - you did post on CL after all =)

Last edited by meefer; 05-24-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 11:38 AM
LexFather

For one the only C class that looks decent is the sport. The regular one IMO looks almost cheap, it really let me down. So did the interior, I simply did not feel I was in a luxury car. Of course the C-class has prestige being a Benz, I did find it well put together.

IMO, the IS 350 totally blows the C class out the water, looks, features, price, performance. I think the C-class is ranked near the end of the pack in this class, Benz didn't try hard enough.

Quick Reply: IS350 or C350?