IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 09:29 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nakta
I got a spoiler from the same seller and installed it, but after few days later right side the tape has started to come off.
Maybe I did something wrong during installation process. I will reinstall it later.

I want to ask you two questions.

What did you use to clean the trunk surface before install the spoiler?
How did you place the spoiler in the right position (exactly middle of the trunk) ?

Thank you.
All i did was close up my garage and made sure it was dust free and just gave it a good cleaning and drying. lined it up as best as i could and pressed it on tight. I will keep this updated as i go. Hopefully It doesnt try to pop off!
Old 05-30-08, 12:32 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
I think it looks TRIPLE F!

Fierce, Fabulous and Flawless!
fabulous?? that sounds a little flaming.
Old 06-03-08, 03:20 PM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250_6Spd
All i did was close up my garage and made sure it was dust free and just gave it a good cleaning and drying. lined it up as best as i could and pressed it on tight. I will keep this updated as i go. Hopefully It doesnt try to pop off!
My two cents on this spoiler...

Bought the same spoiler from the same vendor off ebay. The 3m tape lasted me 4 months. This is with regular weekly washes, CA weather. I noticed it to start coming off in the corner first then slowly it would budge when I close the trunk.

Reinstalling the spoiler was a pain I had to slowly remove all the original 3m tape on the back of the spoiler. Scrape all the bits and pieces off trying not to remove any paint. 2nd install I cleaned the trunk lid with dawn, then used the 3m wax remover spray thingy, and some rubbing alcohol to remove all of the wax. I lined the spoiler with new 3m tape including all the gaps that the 1st install had. Its rock solid for the past 4 months, hasn't budged a bit.

Note for the people getting this spoiler, it adds weight to your trunk. After I installed it I noticed when my trunk closes it clamps down much harder. Also install it correctly the first time. Line the gaps with 3m tape, and thoroughly clean and remove wax from the area you are going to install the spoiler.
Old 06-06-08, 05:25 AM
nakta
Driver School Candidate

I got a spoiler from the same seller and installed it, but after few days later right side the tape has started to come off.
Maybe I did something wrong during installation process. I will reinstall it later.

I want to ask you two questions.

What did you use to clean the trunk surface before install the spoiler?
How did you place the spoiler in the right position (exactly middle of the trunk) ?

Thank you.

I have been taking to the seller. Apparently, there are two models for this spoiler. One with double side tape only, and the other one with double sided tape and two screws for bolting on. Based on his reply, The one that is tape only is more flexible but is heavier and more prone to cracking. (FYI)

Anyway, I got the later one has bolting on.
I asked him to replace it since the tape came off, but he is telling me to
bolt it on. No way I'm gonna drill holes on my car.
I guess I'm gonna try to install it using expensive 3M Automotive Acrylic Foam Tape (about $35).

Anyone have experience with this tape?
Thanks.

Last edited by nakta; 06-06-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:50 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

It's not so much the tape as the prep. I used to own a company and we made interior trim kits. We used the 3M tape to hold the kits on as most trim kits do (it's the exact same tape as that used to hold on exterior moldings and your spoiler). If everything was perfect, the tape would hold on basically forever. However, if there was even a tiny bit of contaminant on the surface, the tape would eventually work loose. It doesn't really matter how expensive you go, we tried just about every type of tape 3M made and it was the same. If the surface isn't perfect, you'll have problems.

Looking at the pics of the spoiler, it already comes with 3M acrylic foam tape. That's the grey stuff with the red liner. The adhesives they use may vary, but it's all essentially the same thing.

I have been taking to the seller. Apparently, there are two models for this spoiler. One with double side tape only and one with douple sided tape and two screws for bolting on. Based on his reply, The one that is tape only is more flexible but is heavier and more prone to cracking. (FYI)

Anyway, I got the later one has bolting on.
I asked him to replace it since the tape came off, but he is telling me to
bolt it on. No way I'm gonna drill holes on my car.
I guess I'm gonna try to install it using expensive 3M Automotive Acrylic Foam Tape (about $35).

Anyone have experience with this tape?
Thanks.
Old 06-06-08, 12:57 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Looks very good for an aftermarket ebay item.
Old 06-06-08, 01:08 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow191
It's not so much the tape as the prep. I used to own a company and we made interior trim kits. We used the 3M tape to hold the kits on as most trim kits do (it's the exact same tape as that used to hold on exterior moldings and your spoiler). If everything was perfect, the tape would hold on basically forever. However, if there was even a tiny bit of contaminant on the surface, the tape would eventually work loose. It doesn't really matter how expensive you go, we tried just about every type of tape 3M made and it was the same. If the surface isn't perfect, you'll have problems.

Looking at the pics of the spoiler, it already comes with 3M acrylic foam tape. That's the grey stuff with the red liner. The adhesives they use may vary, but it's all essentially the same thing.
x2

I did this ebay mod with tape only and it looks great. The only suggestions I would add is to heat the trunk and spoiler tape with a hairdryer or heat gun. Use the Lexus logo to center the spoiler and after you stick it to the trunk, rub it with a towel very hard about six or seven times to make sure you compress the tape to the paint.

I paid $109.00 shipped and it was money well spent!
Old 06-06-08, 01:23 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks great and you saved a ton of money. The 3M tape will hold just fine so no worries. Now your car looks even sportier IMO. I love the spoiler on the 2gen.
Old 06-06-08, 02:16 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

does anyone have problems with the bottom edge of the spoiler not being flush againts the trunk lid?

when i flip my turnk up, i can see lots of gaps along the bottom edge, i personally did not do the install on this, so i am temtped to pull it off and redo it all.

plus the tape shows up on the right side front edge as well. call me ****, but i cant stand this, haha.
Old 06-06-08, 03:11 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What seller is everyone going through? Going to look into this.
Old 06-06-08, 09:30 PM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by S to the K
I'm thinking about purchasing this spoiler as well and same color. When you used the 3m tape, was the spoiler loose at all? Does it have any give? How durable do you think it will be in the long term?
I have installed at least 5 spoilers with tape only and never had a problem. My brother in law is an auto body tech and says that the 3M body moulding tape Will hold like gangbusters and will be difficult to remove if I ever did want to remove it, which I wont. I'm waiting for my OEM replica spoiler to come from The Spoiler Store by way of EBay. Will post pictures next week when I put it on . For now here is a picture of the M3 spoiler I put on my 335i with tape. As for tips on the installation here is what I do. Before you do anything, clean the area where the spoiler will be installed with rubbing alcohol

1) Trial fit the spoiler on the car. An extra pair of hands to do the installation is helpful.

2) Run pieces of masking tape from the spoiler onto the trunk lid. Place tape in crucial areas around the perimeter of the spoiler on the trunk lid.

3) Cut the tape where you have run it from the spoiler onto the trunk lid. and remove the spoiler.

4) Cut the 3m tape backing in the center of the spoiler and pull it away a few inches from each side

5) Center the spoiler and match up the cut tape strips starting in the center and work one side than the other pulling the 3m tape backing out from under the spoiler as you go.

6) Voila! you're done. Remove the masking tape and press down on the spoiler . If you do this above 65 degrees f there is no need to use a heat gun.
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-m3-spoiler-005.jpg  
Old 06-06-08, 09:45 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

DrGP:

could you please post pictures after you install this?

I have the same spoiler from the same company that the previous owner installed and i am having trouble with lots of gaps on the bottom edge as I have posted above and was owndering if you experience this too.

i am going to remove the spoiler next weeekend when ih ave time and start fresh.

already bought a roll of fishing line and a roll of 3m exterior tape
Old 06-07-08, 08:40 PM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
DrGP:

could you please post pictures after you install this?

I have the same spoiler from the same company that the previous owner installed and i am having trouble with lots of gaps on the bottom edge as I have posted above and was owndering if you experience this too.

i am going to remove the spoiler next weeekend when ih ave time and start fresh.

already bought a roll of fishing line and a roll of 3m exterior tape
I'll post some tomorrow. I ordered mine late Monday night. Spoiler arrived from Texas Fed EX on Sat. Took all of 10-15 mins to install it. CRUCIAL step is to clean the area where the spoiler is to be affixed with rubbing alcohol before you put on the spoiler. It was 95 degrees out today which is perfect for this proceedure. Actually it was a lot easier to do than my previous instructions. My wife held the spoiler in place. I measured the distance from the side of the trunk lid to the edge of the spoiler (1/2") to make sure it was centered. Put pieces of masking tape on the trunk lid on both ends so the ends would be at the correct location. (1 piece parallel to the trunk edge at the end of the spoiler then 1 piece that follows the contour of the spoiler on the trunk lid and 1 piece on the trunk back end). Tape looked like a "K on the left side and a backward "K" on the right side . I ran 3 pieces of masking tape from the perpendicular to the length of the spoiler onto the trunk lid. Used a razor knife to carefully cut the masking tape at the junction of the spoiler and the trunk and removed the spoiler. Took off ALL the protective backing from the tape on the inside of the spoiler. Aligned the tape strip in the center with the perpendicular tape strip on the trunk and then worked to the left and right side aligning the other 2 tape strips and the positioning end within the angle of the taped "K" that I had used to position the end of the spoiler. Pushed the spoiler down hard in place. Removed the masking tape. Wiped the trunk lid and spoiler with an artificial chamois. Prep time 5-6 mins. Installation time 4-5 mins. I did notice on the trunk side of the spoiler, there seemed to be a small amount of excess mounting tape sticking out from under the spoiler. I carefully took a razor knife and trimmed it away without incident. Anyone can do this . Please do not pay $100 or more to have it done by Lexus or someone else. I noticed that there is a small gap on the trunk side of the spoiler that is due to the thickness of the mounting tape. I can live with it. BTW, some of the BMW guys use an adhesive called BETA LINK. to glue on their spoilers. But it is almost impossible to remove the spoiler if you use it and some have actually screwed up their paint during the installation. Iwould not use it myself, but it will insure that your spoiler won't come off.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-07-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 07:23 AM
DrGP
Driver

Default Here are the pictures I promised.

I include my daughter's non spoiled car as a reference. You will note on the close ups that you can see some of the tape which causes a slight gap on the ends. Doesn't really bother me. I wonder if the tape used there is thicker?
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-lexus-spoiler-001.jpg  

Last edited by DrGP; 06-08-08 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-08-08, 07:25 AM
DrGP
Driver

Picture from rear
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-lexus-spoiler-002.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!