IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 07:27 AM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

picture from side
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-lexus-spoiler-003.jpg  
Old 06-08-08, 07:29 AM
DrGP
Driver

This one shows tape visible on ends. Doesn't really bother me. You have to really get close to even notice it. I hardly believe anyone would pick it out unless yoy showed it to them.
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-lexus-spoiler-004.jpg  

Last edited by DrGP; 06-08-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-08-08, 07:30 AM
DrGP
Driver

Middle of spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!-lexus-spoiler-006.jpg  
Old 06-08-08, 04:08 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

hmm i have the same thing on that side of the trunk as well!

it doesnt really bother me too much either though.

waht does bother me though is, as i had said, on the bottom edge of the spoiler, the only part that makes a bond with the trunk is by the emblem and the two ends. would this be the case for yours as well?

i am definitely going to remove it and reapply it, the previous owner installed it off center as well, i'd say its about 1/8" off to the right, so a total of 1/4" roughly.

thanks alot for the close up pics btw.
Old 06-08-08, 04:52 PM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
hmm i have the same thing on that side of the trunk as well!

it doesnt really bother me too much either though.

waht does bother me though is, as i had said, on the bottom edge of the spoiler, the only part that makes a bond with the trunk is by the emblem and the two ends. would this be the case for yours as well?

i am definitely going to remove it and reapply it, the previous owner installed it off center as well, i'd say its about 1/8" off to the right, so a total of 1/4" roughly.

thanks alot for the close up pics btw.
I haven't noticed any gaps on the bottom side on mine but I will look more closely. One thing though, since this is a small spoiler , there is not much surface area to adhere to the trunk lid. I foresee no problems as long as the tape is good quality and the surface was cleaned adequately. You might try Goo Gone or Goof Off to help you remove the spoiler.
Old 06-08-08, 05:05 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

yeah i am really not sure waht is causing the gaps, could be bad install, could be bad mold, i really have to reapply it myself to konw for sure.

and i already bought a roll of 8lb fishing line, and a spray bottle of goo gone, thanks for the tip.

i really shoudl take pics of the bottom side when I get a chance, i keep forgetting.

yeah I really am not worried about the spoiler coming off as is right now either, it just kinda bothers me to see all those gaps on the bottom, i figured worst case senario is, i will double up on the foam tape in areas that would gap, to atleast fill the gap. i hate to think how much dirt and what not will get trapped up in there eventually if i leave it open as is.
Old 06-08-08, 05:13 PM
DrGP
Driver

I would suggest heating the spoiler with a hair dryer to loosen up the tape. Do not use a heat gun it will be too hot.
Old 06-08-08, 05:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

I think the spoiler should be installed correctly with drilling holes method. I was gonna do the tape method but I'm glad I did the drill. If I had bought the ebay one I'd be screwed since it doesn't come with bolts.
Old 06-09-08, 06:16 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
I think the spoiler should be installed correctly with drilling holes method. I was gonna do the tape method but I'm glad I did the drill. If I had bought the ebay one I'd be screwed since it doesn't come with bolts.
Why would you want to drill holes in your trunk and make it subject to rust when tape or betalink will do the job?
Old 06-09-08, 08:39 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Looks better with it than without!
Old 06-09-08, 08:41 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Why would you want to drill holes in your trunk and make it subject to rust when tape or betalink will do the job?
I let the dealer do it. There should be no rust if done properly.

Last edited by dojoman; 06-09-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 10:28 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kkfoto
I got mine from a Lexus dealership on EBAY for $198.
I paid $108 for a local Lexus dealership to install.
So far no problems at all.
WOW, A 100 dollor for installing a spoiler

I did mine 3 days ago by myself and I got to say this, Its as easy as drinking water

dude, things like that are easy to do and save money, but as long as you r happy
Old 06-09-08, 10:34 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackGhost
WOW, A 100 dollor for installing a spoiler

I did mine 3 days ago by myself and I got to say this, Its as easy as drinking water

dude, things like that are easy to do and save money, but as long as you r happy
I bet they spent a whole 10 minutes doing the job.
Old 06-10-08, 01:20 AM
JV21
Pole Position

I gotta say, I bought one too from ebay(thespoilercompany)! Completely satisfied and gives the car a more sporty yet classy look.

Question: How long do I have to wait til I wash my car again? Weeks, months, until the tape settles on the trunk?

JV
Old 06-10-08, 06:46 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by JV21
I gotta say, I bought one too from ebay(thespoilercompany)! Completely satisfied and gives the car a more sporty yet classy look.

Question: How long do I have to wait til I wash my car again? Weeks, months, until the tape settles on the trunk?

JV
IF you installed the spoiler at temps over 70 F I would wait at least 10 secs until I washed the car. After that you are OK.

Quick Reply: My Ebay Spoiler Installed on my IS250!