IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fastest 1/4 Mile Times.. Shift Paddles or Not? Ect Power Mode TOO??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 07:43 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramon:

This has been proven by several cars. Cayman has spent the most time on the the track and has dozens of posts with time slips. He knows what he is talking about and several others have done the same thing. I personally took my car out to Firebird Raceway in Arizona with 56 degree weather. I ran three runs with PWR ON and three without. My times were faster without and two of the without times I actually had slower reaction times out of the start but was STILL faster. Don't take our word for it, just pony up and go run yours yourself. If your track is like most of ours, they will give you print outs after each run. Good Luck. Don't be shocked when you can't break 13.9 or 13.8. Maybe then you will respect the advise you got from Cayman who is running 12.8's.

Last edited by DRIVEN1; 05-27-08 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-27-08, 07:55 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i shift it to the point where its almost soo veryy teeny tiny close to over rev
Old 05-27-08, 09:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Ramon:

This has been proven by several cars. Cayman has spent the most time on the the track and has dozens of posts with time slips. He knows what he is talking about and several others have done the same thing. I personally took my car out to Firebird Raceway in Arizona with 56 degree weather. I ran three runs with PWR ON and three without. My times were faster without and two of the without times I actually had slower reaction times out of the start but was STILL faster. Don't take our word for it, just pony up and go run yours yourself. If your track is like most of ours, they will give you print outs after each run. Good Luck. Don't be shocked when you can't break 13.9 or 13.8. Maybe then you will respect the advise you got from Cayman who is running 12.8's.
Respect has nothing to do with it, lets not turn this into something it's not. I'm not even saying anyone is wrong. (or right for that matter). I'm simply trying to figure out a logical reason as to why.
Old 05-28-08, 04:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Respect has nothing to do with it, lets not turn this into something it's not. I'm not even saying anyone is wrong. (or right for that matter). I'm simply trying to figure out a logical reason as to why.
This is the logical reason. The car has higher shift points in ECT-Normal (pink). This keeps the engine in it's sweet spot longer. There really shouldn't be much of a debate about this.
Old 05-28-08, 08:56 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Perfect, that's the type of explanation I was looking for. What are the yellow and blue graphs?
Old 05-28-08, 09:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Perfect, that's the type of explanation I was looking for. What are the yellow and blue graphs?
Snow mode is yellow
ECT-PWR is the blue
Old 05-28-08, 09:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caymandive did give you that information in post 10 in the form of a link. Actually, if you follow that link, you'll see a more thorough explanation of that graph.
Old 05-28-08, 10:03 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

i noticed on the graph that the slope of the ECT power mode is steeper than normal mode. Doesn't that mean that the ECT power mode has the quickest acceleration??
Old 05-28-08, 10:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
i noticed on the graph that the slope of the ECT power mode is steeper than normal mode. Doesn't that mean that the ECT power mode has the quickest acceleration??
Please read the post that explains the graph (link provided above in post 10) before asking about the details of the graph. The point you mention is clearly explained.
Old 05-28-08, 10:18 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
Well, given that the H-axis isn't defined as speed, I will assume that it is time. In answer to your question, no, not necessarily. Take this example:

Car A Revs from 1000 RPM to 7000 RPM in 1.5 seconds in 1st.

Car B Revs from 1000 RPM to 7000 RPM in 1.8 seconds in 1st.

Car A is faster in the 1/4 mile, right? Well, again, no, not necessarily. It takes time to change gears, and you usually get the best acceleration at high revolutions allowing you to best utilize the torque curve. To test this theory, find a car with a steep torque curve and start it in 2nd from a stop. Notice that it feels sluggish out of the gate and gets better as the engine winds up?

The point is, when you upshift, you lower RPMs. Most, though not all times you want to maximize the amount of time in any given gear. If you Car B can finish the drag race in 3rd@7000 RPM, and Car A can finish in 4th@4000 RPM, I would bet on Car B every time, even if Car A revs slightly faster.
Old 05-28-08, 10:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

^^^ I'm speechless. Why do you guys refuse to just click the link to read the 2 small paragraphs that explain the graph?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=38
Old 05-28-08, 11:06 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

It's more fun to rehash
Old 05-28-08, 12:00 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Gernby
^^^ I'm speechless. Why do you guys refuse to just click the link to read the 2 small paragraphs that explain the graph?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=38

Using just the information that Gernby provides (the graph....and yes, I did read your post ), there is still the chance that revving the car higher doesn't necessarily equate to faster times, due to the engine's powerband. You could be out of the torque curve above a certain rpm, which *could* be the reason why the pwr mode shifts sooner.

However, caymandive's runs, in conjunction with Gernby's graph, shows that normal mode is faster with regard to 1/4 mile times and that the car doesn't drop power as it gets close to redline.

Last edited by mikes rx; 05-28-08 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 12:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Using just the information that Gernby provides (the graph....and yes, I did read your post ), there is still the chance that revving the car higher doesn't necessarily equate to faster times, due to the engine's powerband. You could be out of the torque curve above a certain rpm, which *could* be the reason why the pwr mode shifts sooner.

However, caymandive's runs, in conjunction with Gernby's graph, shows that normal mode is faster with regard to 1/4 mile times and that the car doesn't drop power as it gets close to redline.
I have a graph for that too. If we could rev the engine to 7K RPMs, we would still benefit. This plot is a compilation of my dyno results combined with gearing to show thrust vs speed in gears 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Attached Thumbnails Fastest 1/4 Mile Times.. Shift Paddles or Not?  Ect Power Mode TOO??-is350-accel-plot-5.jpg  
Old 05-28-08, 01:49 PM
Oakley IS
Driver

I wonder if this is the same for the IS250?

anyways, its weird Lexus made a "sport" setting for the transmission, and its actually slower than the regular mode...

Quick Reply: Fastest 1/4 Mile Times.. Shift Paddles or Not? Ect Power Mode TOO??