IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fastest 1/4 Mile Times.. Shift Paddles or Not? Ect Power Mode TOO??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 02:00 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I have a graph for that too. If we could rev the engine to 7K RPMs, we would still benefit. This plot is a compilation of my dyno results combined with gearing to show thrust vs speed in gears 1, 2, 3, and 4.
So it's a case of Lexus handicapping the engine so that it can't reach maximum thrust? Any idea, if over 7k, where the sweet spot would be?
Old 05-28-08, 02:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
So it's a case of Lexus handicapping the engine so that it can't reach maximum thrust? Any idea, if over 7k, where the sweet spot would be?
The sweet spot (RPM) is different for each gear, and unfortunately is always higher than our ECU will allow us to go. The higher the gear, the lower the sweet spot would be since the gears get closer together.

Lexus picked the RPM they did for rev limit based on reliability, not performance.
Old 05-28-08, 03:51 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Lexus picked the RPM they did for rev limit based on reliability, not performance.
Well sure, and the nannies are for safety. I'm not arguing the usefulness or purpose, just curious as to where it might be.

Last edited by FiveOhNine; 05-28-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 09:03 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Oakley IS

anyways, its weird Lexus made a "sport" setting for the transmission, and its actually slower than the regular mode...
Just because the pwr mode is "slower" in a 1/4 mi WOT run doesn't mean that it's slower in other cases.

For example, when in pwr mode and non-WOT driving, the transmission holds gears longer, downshifts quicker, and usually downshifts two gears instead of one under moderate acceleration.
Old 05-29-08, 06:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
... when in pwr mode and non-WOT driving, the transmission holds gears longer ...
It only holds gears longer at partial throttle. At WOT normal mode will always hold gears longer.
Old 05-29-08, 06:48 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It only holds gears longer at partial throttle. At WOT normal mode will always hold gears longer.
Is this true in all cars "or" just on the IS???

Thanks!
Old 05-29-08, 06:57 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oakley IS
I wonder if this is the same for the IS250?

anyways, its weird Lexus made a "sport" setting for the transmission, and its actually slower than the regular mode...
I my experience the answer is yes. I did four 1/4 mile passes with my car earlier in the spring.

16.042 @ 86.88mph
16.027 @ 86.03mph
16.132 @ 85.44mph
16.042 @ 85.90mph

Not too bad for a stock AWD car but the 16.1x was my slowest time as I tried the "sport" mode just out of curiosity. So, I lost about one tenth in the ET.

Regards,
Old 05-29-08, 07:03 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Is this true in all cars "or" just on the IS???

Thanks!
My statement is just for the IS, but it might also be true for many other cars. It certainly would NOT be true for all cars.
Old 05-29-08, 05:24 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

That's what I said :stickpoke:
Non-WOT = partial throttle

Originally Posted by mikesrx
For example, when in pwr mode and non-WOT driving, the transmission holds gears longer
Old 05-30-08, 06:45 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Damn ... I guess I need to open my eyes ...
Old 06-21-08, 01:02 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

paddles are good for downshifting, on the hwy specially, so u dont use ur brakes as hard.
also to hold a gear. or for those who go to mexico/canada and street race: u can hold a gear when racing from a roll.
Old 07-20-10, 08:16 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
You leave it in D because it gives you a few more rpm's in each gear before shifting. Combfilter suspected this when he went to the track and Gernby verified this information. I've been leaving it in D ever since and it works perfectly.

Here is the link to Gernby's verification.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=38
bumping an old thread

I understand Gernby's chart (great chart, BTW), but I don't understand why Lexus would program PWR mode to shift at a lower rpm than NORMAL mode. Logically, this makes no sense to me and is actually kind of irritating, lol.

Aside from holding lower gears at partial throttle, quicker shifting, better throttle response...whatever else PWR mode does to aid performance - why would it not be programmed to provide the highest shift point as well?
Old 07-21-10, 07:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I believe ECT-PWR is driven more by marketing than performance. I think they just want to make the power curve FEEL more powerfull, not actually perform better. Basically, I believe they set the shift point so that it would shift before power started dropping off too much, even though you would really want to take it ALL THE WAY to the rev limiter for the best 1/4 mile time.
Old 07-22-10, 04:13 AM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

PWR mode will be quicker at partial throttle than normal mode. Thats all it is for...it should really be called sport mode...the three modes are essentially transmission tunes, and don't change the engine tune any....snow mode locks the torque converter early to eliminate the torque flash of the converter...and pwr allows the converter to flash a little higher...all with different shift points as well...
That's what I seem to gather from my experience...
Old 07-22-10, 07:58 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sheltop225
PWR mode will be quicker at partial throttle than normal mode.
That's not true. It isn't quicker at partial throttle. It's just more sensitive and agressive. The DBW target throttle mapping is very different between the 3 ECT modes, and the up / down shifting points are different based on RPM and throttle position.

Quick Reply: Fastest 1/4 Mile Times.. Shift Paddles or Not? Ect Power Mode TOO??