IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 11:14 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick TPMS Question

I've searched the FAQ and the forum for answer regarding my question and did not find any so.

I purchased a set of 4 tpms sensors from someone on ebay today.

My question is that do I need to get to the dealership to get them programmed if they are brand new? Cause I was hoping I could just get them and zip tie them together with that plastic spacer in the middle when I get them. I don't want to spend more money at the stealership

Sorry in advance if this has been posted before.
Old 05-27-08, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilflip#2
My question is that do I need to get to the dealership to get them programmed if they are brand new?
No, you don't need to go to the dealer to get it programmed.

The instructions are in the manual. It's like programming two different sets of wheels for people that need winter/summer set-ups...
Old 05-27-08, 08:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you have to go to the dealer to have them linked to your car. Only way for them to work. There is no DIY for this unless you are a tech that works for a Lexus dealer.

I have 2 sets linked up. When you have them programmed to your car then you can switch back and forth with out going to the dealer.

I had my 2nd set programmed as a complimentary service. Others have been charged up to 150$ to get them done. It took them all of 15 min to program them to my car. I personally had mine installed in the rims already and I wrote down the 2 numbers on each sensor. One is the same between all 4 and the 2nd number will be different. I also wrote where they where just in case.

Mike
Old 05-27-08, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

^^^Really? I though so otherwise...
Old 05-27-08, 08:14 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^Really? I though so otherwise...
No...You can do half of what you posted. They plug into our car just like if they had to add a new key fob. Its not a hard or lengthy process at all for the dealer to do. Once this part is done then we can switch to winter rims or what ever you may be using the other set for. I haven't tried it but this part I know they said at the dealer I could do. I am in no hurry for the white stuff and to find out

ot: I have the 6k bulbs shipping today so I will post you a pic of the 5k fogs and 6k lights together for you.
Old 05-27-08, 08:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by passnu2
ot: I have the 6k bulbs shipping today so I will post you a pic of the 5k fogs and 6k lights together for you.
Cool. And the fogs -- did you install them yourself, or got someone to do it professionally?
Old 05-27-08, 08:36 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Your TPMS must be installed (or zip-tied together, or stuck in a wheel barrow wheel or pipe bomb, or something that exerts pressure on them) in order to be properly initialized. The dealer then uses the Lexus scan tool to register the FCC ID's to your car's ECU. After the codes are registered in the car, you can then select the 2nd set of TPMS through the toggle switch located to the left of the steering wheel. As Mike said above, make sure to write down the ID's of the sensor before you arrive at the dealership to have them activated.

Javier
Old 05-27-08, 08:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Cool. And the fogs -- did you install them yourself, or got someone to do it professionally?
sent you a PM...
Old 05-27-08, 01:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Your TPMS must be installed (or zip-tied together, or stuck in a wheel barrow wheel or pipe bomb, or something that exerts pressure on them) in order to be properly initialized. The dealer then uses the Lexus scan tool to register the FCC ID's to your car's ECU. After the codes are registered in the car, you can then select the 2nd set of TPMS through the toggle switch located to the left of the steering wheel. As Mike said above, make sure to write down the ID's of the sensor before you arrive at the dealership to have them activated.

Javier
Bingo.. I just went over this entire process this past weekend..
Thanks for the help Javy!!

Essentially, I had my new secondary set of TPMS sensors registered to the car, but they were not under pressure.. Just loose in a bag..
So although they were in my cars computer, the "TPMS Check System" Light was ON..
- Mainly because the initializing process was incomplete.

Which I resolved with zip ties to complete the process..
(Took a while to figure this one out)

Not many if any people I know, have added or registered sensors to a car, when the sensors were un-installed.

It probably would have been much easier to have the new sensors in a wheel under pressure, when registering, but I don't have my new wheels just yet.

The 2nd set of sensors can be added with either a Toyota or Lexus Techstream Laptop computer, which plugs into the OBDII port under the steering wheel.

Looks like this..

Joe Z

P.S. -> Side fact our TPMS computer can pick up a low tire pressure from the sensors from up to 25-30 feet away.. But hopefully, your main set of wheels are never that far from your car.. LoL..

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-27-08 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 01:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I have been waiting for the OEM rims in the garage to loose pressure from sitting and for the TPMS computer to get confused. I know it goes between both sets but I wonder if I am driving it crazy parking next to the RIMS stacked in my garage and the 2nd set on the car? Its been a few months and no issues and I hope there are not any!
Old 05-27-08, 02:29 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Just to expand on JoeZ's comments.

You can have the TPM sensors programmed (learned) at either a Lexus or Toyota dealer. I had mine done winter wheel setup programmed at a Toyota dealer and it was more than half the quoted price from the Lexus dealership.

So unless it is complementary, consider the Toyota dealership option.

Regards,
Old 05-29-08, 09:40 AM
KR inspire
Driver School Candidate

I had my second set programmed by Son at Dynamic Auto Service (714) 899-2939) in Santa Ana, CA.... It only takes a few mins and he will need the #'s off each TPMS (the larger set of #'s at the bottom of the two sets of #'s). He has this crazy lap top from Toyota/Lexus that can program and even do updates and tell you what updates your vehicle may need...similar to PS3.
Old 05-29-08, 09:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KR inspire
I had my second set programmed by Son at Dynamic Auto Service (714) 899-2939) in Santa Ana, CA.... It only takes a few mins and he will need the #'s off each TPMS (the larger set of #'s at the bottom of the two sets of #'s). He has this crazy lap top from Toyota/Lexus that can program and even do updates and tell you what updates your vehicle may need...similar to PS3.
Wasup Hugh!!

He has the Techstream laptop...

The only numbers needed are the ones with 7 digits in them..
Those are the FCC transmitter ID code numbers..

Joe Z
Old 05-29-08, 10:09 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

what's the ziptie and spacer deal? my sensor when it was installed, it didn't go against the rim, kinda just hang there, so there's a space between the rim and the sensor. is that what they are for?
Old 05-29-08, 11:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexboi250
what's the ziptie and spacer deal? my sensor when it was installed, it didn't go against the rim, kinda just hang there, so there's a space between the rim and the sensor. is that what they are for?
Zipties & spacers can be used to trick the system when the TMPS sensors are NOT installed in wheels and you have a "check tire pressue" warning light..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Quick TPMS Question