is250 AWD or IS350 - in quebec, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 12:59 AM
To_Om
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is250 AWD or IS350 - in quebec, Canada

Hi,

I will be buying an ISx50 shortly (i'm having some trouble like other members of this forum figuring out whether I should wait for the 09 or not) but I have another concern.

I live in Montreal, Canada, and won't be buying myself a winter car, and we have had big winters for a few years. So, I would like to have opinions from members who drive their IS350 during winter, I mean with some snow on the roads...not after the plowers passed.
even better if some of you had the chance to do a comparison...
The salesman obviously says that it handles winters very well.

Please tell me if awd is that necessary or traction control could handle the job... and if it is worth the difference in performance...

Cheers,
Tommy.
Old 05-31-08, 02:24 AM
pwoodard
Driver School Candidate

So I normally just troll and find great new ideas for mods for my 250 AWD (pictures soon I hope, after my 8k HIDs come in), but I actually had a similar choice last December.

I didn't anticipate having to buy a car, but my previous Lexus (Charlotte, may she rest in peace) was totalled on the freeway by a Jeep going 65. Sorry, I digress. Anyway, I was considering both the 350 and 250 AWD, but after having huge winters here in Reno, Nevada, decided I'd better keep with the AWD. I was asked to house sit for some family friends for the entire month of January in a very nice house but in a particular hilly part of town, and it was a huge month for snow. This certainly doesn't answer your question about the 350, but I can vouch for the 250 AWD's traction even in 20-25 cm of un-plowed snow on the road. It had no trouble going, even up hills after being stopped.

Hope this helps! (But now that it's summer, I kinda wish I had the extra 100 hp...)
Old 05-31-08, 03:01 AM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

meh, im driving an IS250 RWD MT and i live in saskatchewan. I managed fine last winter on some nokian winter rubber. As long as you know how to drive in snow you should be good to go regardless of what vehicle your using. Winter rubber makes a hell of a difference though, and id definitely invest in some solid tires. The car starts great in epic cold weather too. It was -48 degrees C for a few days with the wind chill in mid january and my car started no problem.

Also, if you got the cash, go for the 350, I'm constantly wishing i had 100 more HP to the point where im beginning to wonder how long until i give in and decide to trade up.
Old 05-31-08, 03:06 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

hey I just plowed through 5 months of heavy snow in my 250rwd auto, no porb at all, actually best car I've had in the snow.

I even think the 350 might be even better with the addition of the VDIM system.

Yes we get a whole lot of snow here in Norway, but this winter proved my 250 so good, im going to import a 350 for next year no doubt!

Lars.
Old 05-31-08, 05:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by To_Om
Hi,

I will be buying an ISx50 shortly (i'm having some trouble like other members of this forum figuring out whether I should wait for the 09 or not) but I have another concern.

I live in Montreal, Canada, and won't be buying myself a winter car, and we have had big winters for a few years. So, I would like to have opinions from members who drive their IS350 during winter, I mean with some snow on the roads...not after the plowers passed.
even better if some of you had the chance to do a comparison...
The salesman obviously says that it handles winters very well.

Please tell me if awd is that necessary or traction control could handle the job... and if it is worth the difference in performance...

Cheers,
Tommy.
As you may have read,I too was in the buy an '08 or '09 dilemma.
I'm going '09.
In your situation,I would definitely go with the 250AWD in a heartbeat.It's much better than RWD in snow.
Old 05-31-08, 06:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Chicago and we get a good amount of snow. I have the IS350 with winter tires the car is perfectly fine. NO car is perfect in the snow! IF this is the only reason you are going to purchase the AWD dont waste your money! Get the 350 and a set of winter rims and tires from Discount Tire or Tire Rack for around 500$ and you are good to go! I drove my first winter on the 18" summer rims and tires. I picked the car up the end of November and I didnt get stuck once with the summer tires. Dont let the others talk you out of it if they have not had the car in the snow! Listen to others who have had real life experience like you will!

Mike
Old 05-31-08, 06:48 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

now i wonder what will be like to drive a 350 with winter tires, haha. i love the power. but my AWD drive on snow like it's on concrete with winter tires, i'm telling you, you will absolutly love the way your AWD handles in snow with a set of winter tires. and i'm in toronto, you're in Quebec.....
Old 05-31-08, 08:20 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think both are good cars regardless if you drive in the winter. if you want speed and more power go with the 350 with snow tires. I have the AWD and had no problems with snow and I live in Jersey. It all depends on how you drive.
Old 05-31-08, 08:33 AM
Memout
Driver

Hello, I had the exact exact same problem...RWD or AWD....and I'm from Montreal Quebec.

Remember this past winter when we got a good 20 cm of snow in 1 night, and the highways were literally a skating rink. Cars were driving on the 40 and 20 at about 40-50km/hr.....well with MY AWD....i was going 80-90km/hr..that's the difference..

and u know that feelin of driving on the highway and u drive into a bit of snow on the side...and suddenly it's sucking u to the shoulder or pulling ur car.....well with the AWD u dont' feel that at all...

I would recommend the AWD......a few of my friends with RWD even told me...on heavy snow fall days...their RWD cars can't go up university street...

(mind u i'm very biased towards the AWD)

Oh and the dealer at Lexus also told me their best seller is the AWD and not the RWD.....and if u ordered a RWD it would take longer since it's not common for quebecers to drive RWD..

good luck
Old 05-31-08, 08:39 AM
To_Om
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone,

I will definitively go for the 350 hehehe, it's true that 100hp extra can't hurt during the summer. and I will go for nokians too, heard that they're amazing for really cold temperatures and snow, my friends recommended those as well. It is true that the driving style makes a hell of a difference

Now... it's just a matter of whether If i'm waiting for the 09 ... I so wish that some specs will be leaked before the end of june...
Old 05-31-08, 08:52 AM
To_Om
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Memout
Hello, I had the exact exact same problem...RWD or AWD....and I'm from Montreal Quebec.

Remember this past winter when we got a good 20 cm of snow in 1 night, and the highways were literally a skating rink. Cars were driving on the 40 and 20 at about 40-50km/hr.....well with MY AWD....i was going 80-90km/hr..that's the difference..

and u know that feelin of driving on the highway and u drive into a bit of snow on the side...and suddenly it's sucking u to the shoulder or pulling ur car.....well with the AWD u dont' feel that at all...

I would recommend the AWD......a few of my friends with RWD even told me...on heavy snow fall days...their RWD cars can't go up university street...

(mind u i'm very biased towards the AWD)

Oh and the dealer at Lexus also told me their best seller is the AWD and not the RWD.....and if u ordered a RWD it would take longer since it's not common for quebecers to drive RWD..

good luck
hahaha, the university street was a good laugh (at least for spectators like us) a friend of mine drives an is250awd as well... but that snowstorm was just too crazy... everyone was using public transport for 2 days ... that was just unreal... oh well, it's called "Welcome to Qc"

well actually... if I get an 08, and since they will be switching to 09 on the production line, it would be easier to get one since it is not a big seller, and I could even get away with a few extras... no?

If only they could throw a few more ponies , like 50 more or so, for the 09 awd, I would get it... I can't stand paying for a performance car with a v6 that has the same 0-100kph than a mazda3 (that's a quote from my awd driving friend who has some regrets and been thinking of trading in for a 350)
I guess that's just asking too much from lexus... the motor is relatively new... not due for a major refresh or big hp bump yet, at least that's what i think... I would really like it if someone tells me i'm wrong
Old 08-10-08, 09:38 PM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

HI there,

I've been searching around the forum and came upon two types of winter tires that are highly recommended for winter and need some advice on which are better. I'm from toronto and we do have some pretty bad winter here and I have a IS250 MT RWD and afraid of getting stuck. I was wondering which winter tires are the greatest between the nokian hakkas and the Blizzarks?

P.S. If these two are not the greatest, somebody please address me to the right direction. Thanks again.

Thank you.
Old 08-10-08, 09:59 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

i heard blizzaks are REALLY good in the snow. i've yet to look into the nokians though.

i personally have a 250 awd. it's wonderful in the winter we had 1.5-2ft of snow which was pretty bad where a bus slipped and hit the sidewalk and blocked out a whole lane in boston. cars were getting stuck everywhere and couldn't move. i personally had 2ft of snow up against my driver side door. i decided to shovel out the door so i could get in, got the snow off the car and drove right over the snow. plowed right through. the snowy roads? no problem. it's great.

the is350 isn't bad in the snow. throw on a set of snow tires, use the snow mode if you please and drive carefully. the awd doesn't do too much except getting out of snow ditches and having some extra stability through the turns. course mine is a daily driver so the awd helps
Old 08-11-08, 10:24 AM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

OH, would you know if Michelin winter tires be fine on a RWD?

Thanks again.
Old 08-12-08, 04:53 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 09 Lexus IS comes with All season tires on the 17inch and 18inch
so you don't have much to worry
but you could still pick up some snow tires just to be safe

Quick Reply: is250 AWD or IS350 - in quebec, Canada