IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is the trans default 4th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 12:05 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
downshifting increases wear on your engine and drivetrain components because the RPM is suddenly changing. Buy new tires if you want to increase your braking power

It goes to 4th gear because if I want to pass someone and I change to manual mode, it would be stupid if it stayed in 6th and then I have to paddle down twice to be able to pass
...wear that is taken into consideration in the engine/transmission R&D. not to mention this car never just 'shifts' it waits till it thinks its safest to shift which is usually pretty close to what you told it.
Old 06-03-08, 03:08 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

id have to agree with the committee for engine braking, lol
considering there is such consideration for it in the automatic... this is why you cant even downshift to 1 when ur in second... until it deems it safe.
Old 06-03-08, 03:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by blk_is300
In the view of physics, stopping/slowing down the car with engine braking means putting (car mass)x(deceleration) = (Stopping Force) onto your powertrain. I would use engine braking for an MT since it uses a clutch instead of a torque converter, and generally a clutch is able to handle more torque than a TC. If you ask your mechanic, I believe he'll tell you the same thing.
Ummm, no he won't. He'll tell you using the engine to slow the car is dumb and poor technique regardless of the transmission type. If you need to brake, use the brakes. If you need to downshift, it's because you need a lower gear to accelerate out of a turn, not slow the car going into a turn.

If you really think there is value in engine braking, why do they put one way clutches on race bikes? Wait - because it upsets the chassis! So WHY do you want to do this with your car?
Old 06-04-08, 12:05 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really? I thought the cars were built to withstand that kinda abuse.
I ALWAYS drive with my hand on the gear, downshifting excessively. Im renting a toyota corrola right now, and it has D, D with overdrive, 2 and L . Im always droppin it to overdrive and sometimes even straight from D to 2. Its become second nature to downshift.Sides it makes driving more enjoyable. Thank god for warranty.
Old 06-04-08, 05:56 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ndk83
Thank god for warranty.
Amen to that brother.

But in any case, I too am I user of engine breaking for slowing down on steep grades (when there's sloooooooooooow traffic in front of me) and when making fast turns when i'm driving spiritedly (if that's even a word). I try to take it easy on my tranny during stop n go traffic tho as not to overheat it unnecessarily and after a "Fun" drive, I drive at 45-55 mph for a few to "cool off" the car.

I don't feel that it upsets the balance on my car tho . . . It actually helps me power out of those oh so fun sharp turns
Old 06-04-08, 06:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
...wear that is taken into consideration in the engine/transmission R&D. not to mention this car never just 'shifts' it waits till it thinks its safest to shift which is usually pretty close to what you told it.
and its wear and tear thats totally avoidable, why subject your car to uneeded wear and tear when you can just avoid it. The car can take corner speeds at X mph, does that mean you have to do it?

I would never ever buy someones car if I knew they used engine braking to brake because the engine and drivetrain will have considerably more wear than someone who didnt.
Old 06-04-08, 10:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
He'll tell you using the engine to slow the car is dumb and poor technique regardless of the transmission type. If you need to brake, use the brakes. If you need to downshift, it's because you need a lower gear to accelerate out of a turn, not slow the car going into a turn.
Truer words were never spoken (or typed ) Brakes are for braking, transmissions are for transferring the energy from the engine to the wheels. That's why they're called transmissions.

Also, the reason the transmission defaults to 4th gear is because that is the 1:1 gear in the 2IS. It's explained in the New Car Features section of the FSM. Here are the rules by which the different 2IS transmissions allow downshifting:

As you can see, 4th gear allows a top speed of 109, 113, and 109 mph, respectively. You have to be going insanely fast for 4th gear not to be appropriate for the speed at which you're driving.

Javier
Old 06-04-08, 04:32 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

you cannot downshift from secondgear to first untill you reached 30mph or below.. and i forget the rest of the gears but i do it all the time but i cant think of it right now for the life of me lol.. 1st gear ends at 40mp before it overrevs

i actually did the6th to 5th too.. (i drive home late alot on turnpike no po pos or traffic most of the time) but i dont remember that either..

i'll do it again next time :X

Last edited by Pnuge88; 06-04-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 07:56 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

^Why do you have to remember? I just posted the chart above...

Javier
Old 06-04-08, 08:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
you cannot downshift from secondgear to first untill you reached 30mph or below.. and i forget the rest of the gears but i do it all the time but i cant think of it right now for the life of me lol.. 1st gear ends at 40mp before it overrevs

i actually did the6th to 5th too.. (i drive home late alot on turnpike no po pos or traffic most of the time) but i dont remember that either..

i'll do it again next time :X
Downshifting into first is usually about the worst thing you can do to a street gearbox and it doesn't matter if it's automatic or manual. Bad idea.
Old 06-04-08, 09:56 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why a lot of you drive your car like it's going to break in the very near future. I downshift w/ mine all the time and sometimes even leave it in second driving around town so I can be ready to accelerate to dodge something or make an evasive maneuver. It makes driving just that much more fun. If you wanted to drive your car lika pansy..should've bought a benz or something.
Old 06-05-08, 11:09 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

^^^

talk about driving to the limits of your car @_@
Old 06-05-08, 09:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
I don't understand why a lot of you drive your car like it's going to break in the very near future. I downshift w/ mine all the time and sometimes even leave it in second driving around town so I can be ready to accelerate to dodge something or make an evasive maneuver. It makes driving just that much more fun. If you wanted to drive your car lika pansy..should've bought a benz or something.
Really? Maybe you should go for a ride with me. I don't drive like a pansy in my IS or my Supra.
Old 06-05-08, 09:56 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Not me either, sometimes I ask myself if my driving offends other people on the road... especially in my S4. We're just trying to take care of our cars whenever we can to balance out the time when we beat the hell out of them.
Old 06-06-08, 12:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
I'd have to agree (mostly) with this. Although I don't race or hot rod around, I think today's car can take a little downshifting. If fact, why would the default from auto to manual be from 6th to 4th? If that was so damaging to the trans, Lexus simply would not have programmed it that way. Further, I have rarely ever heard of anyone in this forum, or any other Lexus/Toyota/luxury car forum complain about their transmission completely failing at 50k miles. In fact, the failure rate of today's transmission is far far lower than it was fifteen years ago. And that takes into account how many new cars now come with manumatic shifters. Taking all the above into account, plus the Lexus nanny controls keeping us from downshifting too soon, plus saving brakes, plus aiding in safe driving in wet weather (no brakes = more grip), and you gotta give manual shifting credit.

Quick Reply: Why is the trans default 4th gear?