IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wtf is up with my tire???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 05:14 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wtf is up with my tire???

So the other day i noticed my car's front left tire was f'd up..i'm not quite sure what caused it which leads me to a couple of questions

What caused this?

How long will my tire last? (I'm getting it changed soon)

My local guy said it might be because of the alignment..how the hell would the alignment do this and if so how does my alignment get f'd up?

Yeah I know im somewhat of a noob at these things and yes i searched but i'm sure my keywords didnt result to any threads but you guys are knowledgeable!

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by DevJ; 06-03-08 at 05:15 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 06-03-08, 05:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Must have hit something that knocked your alignment out pretty hard. Consider doing some visual tire checks every few weeks in the future. You were very very close to having a blow out which could have made for a very bad day.

EDIT: I used to live in OKC and I know you guys have some serious pot holes out there esp just outside the city. I remember driving on a road NW of Edmond and hit a huge pot hole that bent my rim and gave my tire a bubble in the sidewall.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-03-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 06:02 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my ties were like that about a month ago....i had two blow out and another about to go....i replaced them with my own tires, yoko's which are 10 times better then the stock dunlops. i then complained to lexus and i went in to see my service guy and he threw the car up on the rack and the alignment was spot on. in the shop they had another set of tires completely worn out that he showed me that came from another IS just the day beofre and the owner of that ar could not believe it. theses cars eat tires and it doesn't help that the dunlops are junk tires. my car and this other customers car had roughly 22-24k miles.
Old 06-03-08, 06:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
theses cars eat tires and it doesn't help that the dunlops are junk tires. my car and this other customers car had roughly 22-24k miles.
If you are getting 22-24k miles on a set of low profile tires you are doing quite well. Dunlops are no worse than other tires for wear. They certainly aren't 'junk' tires. Your replacements probably won't do any better.

You may be in alignment, but if you ran your tires at lower than normal pressures you can get wear like that.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-03-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 06:27 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If you are getting 22-24k miles on a set of low profile tires you are doing quite well. Dunlops are no worse than other tires for wear. They certainly aren't 'junk' tires. Your replacements probably won't do any better.
the reviews on the dunlops on tirerack are pretty bad and they are some of the worse tires i have used......the tires i have now are a lot better in the wet, the car is stable through a turn where if i hit a dip the car won't slide over, they stick better, and the ride is a lot better.

all i'm saying is from my experience with the dunlops SP5000, they were not good tires at all and are very over priced. there is much better out there.
Old 06-03-08, 06:39 PM
DevJ
Driver

Well I have the Bridgestone Potenzas its either the the road that sucks where I live or the tires...

i have 21,000 miles on my car and so far:
replaced rear tires
replacing the front left tire (going to be my third tire when i take it to lexus)
and replaced the front right tire

wtf is this...
Old 06-03-08, 06:49 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Your toe could be really off, but then you would had noticed it if the car was pulling to one side or not. Either way you should have your alignment check.
Old 06-03-08, 08:13 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dat looks pretty dangerous .. hope you still not ridin on them
Old 06-03-08, 08:42 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

^ What he said. The front tires are steering tires and the rears are fixed. It would be much worse to have the front blow out than the rear at high speed. It is not worth getting an extra week out of them if you can at all help it.
Old 06-03-08, 09:00 PM
DevJ
Driver

Well the bad thing is my dealer is parks place (in Plano, Texas) which means I'm going to have to drive about 70 miles on them...hopefully they'll be alright
Old 06-03-08, 09:22 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

doesnt IS and GS comes with negative camber? maybe you never notice the inner wear...
Old 06-04-08, 06:08 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

1. allingment is off ..too much neg toe/camber
2. Low profile tires are good for about 15k miles (thats ALOT)..if you dont like that,go buy some goodyear infinitreads and a smaller rim
3.having a tire blow out in the rear is 10x worse than the front..you will spin and cause an accident at highway speeds
4:the tires in the above pic passed their legal limit months ago.
Old 06-04-08, 01:32 PM
DevJ
Driver

well crap...i took my car to the dealership today (Thank God they didn't blow out) and they are replacing it and told me they'd call me when they fixed it all up..btw
whats the brake dust fix thing called/what do you tell them? i'll try and search it..

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-04-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 01:42 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DevJ
i took my car to the dealership today (Thank God they didn't blow out) and they are replacing it and told me they'd call me when they fixed it all up..btw
whats the brake dust fix thing called/what do you tell them? i'll try and search it..
I helped you out in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post3578936

Last edited by Bichon; 06-05-08 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 03:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph TT
1. allingment is off ..too much neg toe/camber
2. Low profile tires are good for about 15k miles (thats ALOT)..if you dont like that,go buy some goodyear infinitreads and a smaller rim
3.having a tire blow out in the rear is 10x worse than the front..you will spin and cause an accident at highway speeds
4:the tires in the above pic passed their legal limit months ago.
1. The toe is off. Camber is not adjustable on these cars.

2. Low profile tires are good enough for 33k miles (still quite legal) - that's what I got on my original Potenza RE050s. Assuming you keep them properly inflated and don't have bad alignment.

3. A blowout on either end of the car can cause an accident at highway speeds. I disagree about rear being worse than front - I've had lots of rear tire issues that didn't result in an accident, but front tire issues immediately prevent the driver from safely braking.

4. The tires in the pic are unsafe, but in the US they're technically not illegal. I wore out the outer tread blocks on my RE050s primarily because there is so little camber on the ISx50. I could have used another half degree to make the tires last longer for sure.

Quick Reply: Wtf is up with my tire???