IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CarMax prices?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 11:04 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cheappc
Just got back from Carmax! AND YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE HOW HAPPY I AM...
The offered me EXCELLENT Blue Book (trade in).. $1,000 better than I expected, but $1,000 less than I hoped for.. but its still great...
so.......are you going to share the news?!?!
Old 07-17-08, 04:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deznium
How about going to the dealer first and negotiating a good price, telling them that you'll make a down payment for your purchase. And then come back to the dealer the next day, saying that you've decided to trade-in now and also bring your car-max appraisal and tell them to beat it. Will this change the dealer's equation? They're all liars, doesn't matter if its lexus or infiniti, so we should also play a fair game with them, in my opinion. Otherwise, you end up being the sheep and the dealer's the wolf, lol!

Ofcourse, you have to really show that you're interested in buying the new car and request the dealer to give you a quote valid for a few days, which they should do on most occasions.
Negotiating and settling on a price for a new car and then walking away? Coming back the next day? Once negotiations start, one of two things are going to happen. 1. You're going to drive home in a new car that day. 2. You will not buy a car from them. There is no going back the next day. It's the worst thing to tell a salesperson because it translates to "no, I don't want to buy the car" When a potential buyer says he'll be back tomorrow, the salesperson will usually wright him off. That's why they don't want you to walk off their lot without buying. They know that if you leave, you're history.
As far as getting a written quote from a dealer, that's laughable, really. Dealers aren't going to give you a document that you can take to their competition in search of a better deal. It just won't happen, ever.
Old 07-17-08, 12:45 PM
cheappc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
so.......are you going to share the news?!?!
Well, it was like I said. I owe more than my car is worth, so Im having to pay the difference in cash.

BUT I went to another dealership yesterday (to get my car appraised again) and they offered me $2,000 dollars less than CarMax.

I asked the dealership why they cant offer me what carmax offers me. They said they couldnt (I think some BIGGER dealerships could). The dealership offered me "low blue book", while CarMax offered me "High Blue Book".

It simple, go to KBB.COM, put your car and everything it comes with, and will give you the 3 values: Low, Fair, High.
Old 07-17-08, 02:13 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I ultimately sold my IS350 to CarMax last week. They offered me $28k and the car only has 9700 miles with Premium package, NAV as well as the GFX front lip. I went back to their website and they listed it for sale this past Sunday but I checked again today and it was gone so I assumed somebody bought it. They had listed it at $31,998
Old 07-17-08, 02:22 PM
deznium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Negotiating and settling on a price for a new car and then walking away? Coming back the next day? Once negotiations start, one of two things are going to happen. 1. You're going to drive home in a new car that day. 2. You will not buy a car from them. There is no going back the next day. It's the worst thing to tell a salesperson because it translates to "no, I don't want to buy the car" When a potential buyer says he'll be back tomorrow, the salesperson will usually wright him off. That's why they don't want you to walk off their lot without buying. They know that if you leave, you're history.
As far as getting a written quote from a dealer, that's laughable, really. Dealers aren't going to give you a document that you can take to their competition in search of a better deal. It just won't happen, ever.
What you're saying makes sense, I agree but then how do you negotiate on the price if some other dealer is offering a better deal? Most dealers will say "you can bring me any price and I'll beat it". In that case, the dealer is offering you to go home and shop around indirectly. I've had quotes that were valid for 2 weeks. The internet sales people also send out quotes which are valid for generally 5 days or so. And I think if you really want a good deal, you need to shop around but the MOST important thing is to show the dealer that you're VERY serious. That's all, even if you leave that day the dealer will be after you to buy the car and you can throw biscuits at them like you would to a dog to tease them, IMO. That's how I treat them.

Last edited by deznium; 07-17-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 04:59 PM
cheappc
Driver

Originally Posted by DrShoe
I ultimately sold my IS350 to CarMax last week. They offered me $28k and the car only has 9700 miles with Premium package, NAV as well as the GFX front lip. I went back to their website and they listed it for sale this past Sunday but I checked again today and it was gone so I assumed somebody bought it. They had listed it at $31,998
Just wanted to ask you, how do you feel now that you sold it? do you miss it? do you have any regrets? or what was your purpose?
Old 07-18-08, 01:28 AM
aira
Pole Position

I went to get my car appraised today at carmax and they offered me $22.5K.

My car is a 2006 IS350.
34K miles.
NAV
ML
LUX
Old 07-18-08, 05:37 AM
Tony26
Driver School Candidate

Ok I have a few questions...I have extended warranty on mine, will that help me out when selling my car and will that warranty carry over to the next person who buys it? Or if I take it in to CarMax, will that matter at all for them to know that the car has an extended warranty on it?
Old 07-19-08, 10:17 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tony26
Ok I have a few questions...I have extended warranty on mine, will that help me out when selling my car and will that warranty carry over to the next person who buys it? Or if I take it in to CarMax, will that matter at all for them to know that the car has an extended warranty on it?
It could help, difficult to say, maybe it would help clinch the deal against equal competition.

I doubt it would contribute much to the CARMAX appraisal, you would simply be getting back some of the money you paid for the warranty, make sense?

Me, I'd get a refund from Lexus. Yours is so new it will be a just about a full refund.
Old 07-20-08, 04:41 AM
Tony26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Likecars
It could help, difficult to say, maybe it would help clinch the deal against equal competition.

I doubt it would contribute much to the CARMAX appraisal, you would simply be getting back some of the money you paid for the warranty, make sense?

Me, I'd get a refund from Lexus. Yours is so new it will be a just about a full refund.

Is it possible to get a refund back? If I could get that money for the warranty back I'll do that before selling it.
Old 07-20-08, 06:16 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deznium
What you're saying makes sense, I agree but then how do you negotiate on the price if some other dealer is offering a better deal? Most dealers will say "you can bring me any price and I'll beat it". In that case, the dealer is offering you to go home and shop around indirectly. I've had quotes that were valid for 2 weeks. The internet sales people also send out quotes which are valid for generally 5 days or so. And I think if you really want a good deal, you need to shop around but the MOST important thing is to show the dealer that you're VERY serious. That's all, even if you leave that day the dealer will be after you to buy the car and you can throw biscuits at them like you would to a dog to tease them, IMO. That's how I treat them.
You bring up some very good points. Mainly, internet negotiating is a different world, altogether and IMO it's the best way to get a great deal. It's works better because you have quote-in-hand.

Seriously, though, when you're on the dealer's lot and are serious about buying and are just looking for the best price, the dealer will not, under any circumstances, let you off the lot so you can go shop for a better price. The dealer knows that once you leave, there's a 99.99% chance you're not coming back. They know this through experience.

If you come into a dealer and negotiate a price on a car and then tell the salesperson, "I got a better price from John Doe Lexus" He's going to know right away that you're lying (unless of course, you have an internet quote in hand) because it's unlikely that John Doe Lexus would have let you go shopping for a better price.

John Doe Lexus would have done one of two things.
1. Made you a better deal on the car so that you'd buy from them.
2. Let you walk off the lot because they felt you weren't a serious buyer, anyway.

Tip number one. Nothing is going to bring the price of a car down faster that telling your salesperson that you're going to leave to try and find it cheaper somewhere else. Especially if they know you really want the car.
Old 07-20-08, 08:22 AM
PlayCaller
Driver School Candidate

I have done this twice and it works pretty good.
1) Place an ad to sell your current vehicle
2) Go to KBB or Edmond's and determine the price your willing to pay
3) Once the ad is out - go to the dealer
4) Tell the dealer you want to negotiate an non-trade in price but you want to run your private sale through the dealership for the sales tax break - You have the Ad and can stretch the truth saying that you need to get a time the buyer can come to the dealer with you (this gets you out the door w/o the car). BTW - I take my laptop and actively use Edmond's while I talk to the salesman to determine fair market value.
5) Get your price
6) Wait for a buyer (must be within a few days) and on one of the deals I cut the price on the used car to rebate the buyer 1/2 the sales tax money to seal the deal.
7) go the the dealer with the buyer and everyone wins.

Yes it is a little extra work but you get retail for your trade and a sales tax break (assuming your state does this) - the only loser is the state.
Old 07-20-08, 09:18 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tony26

Is it possible to get a refund back? If I could get that money for the warranty back I'll do that before selling it.

You bet, it is a pro-rated refund, details will be in the warranty information.
Old 07-20-08, 09:37 PM
Tony26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Likecars
You bet, it is a pro-rated refund, details will be in the warranty information.
Awsome! Will be taking a look at the warranty info first thing when i get back . Thanks Likecars!