IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thoughts about the AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 05:16 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha SUV here accelerate faster than Ferrari's, those single women I see in their SUV must have a lot of money to pay for gas.

Another thing to keep in mind that almost 99.9999% of the AWD owners use their car as daily drivers, while majority of the 350 does too but not to that high of a ratio. From there you can see the differences between the people who buy awd250 vs 350; what they look for in a car and what they do with their cars.
Old 06-06-08, 05:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
It is a lot heavier than the rwd and isnt the fastest, but it was what I wanted and i love it.

A 350 awd would get me thinking, but due to gas prices I would still keep my 250awd.

seems like everyone in the city now drive like grandma to save gas

I hate getting behind a suv or pickup most of the time at lights because they accelerate so slow and most have 300+ hp
The mileage difference between a AWD and 350 isn't that bad at all.
AWD
20 city 26 Highway
18 City 25 Highway
Old 06-06-08, 05:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Haha SUV here accelerate faster than Ferrari's, those single women I see in their SUV must have a lot of money to pay for gas.

Another thing to keep in mind that almost 99.9999% of the AWD owners use their car as daily drivers, while majority of the 350 does too but not to that high of a ratio. From there you can see the differences between the people who buy awd250 vs 350; what they look for in a car and what they do with their cars.
Great point.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-06-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 05:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah the IS250 AWD is so slow which is why I considered a G35X also. But it is my daily driver and I like the exterior, interior and AWD for bad weather especially if my wife drives it. My old IS300 was terrible in bad weather so that is why I bought the AWD. I don't really need the extra power of the 350 and to be honest, that car is slow too (compared to the IS-F now).
Old 06-06-08, 06:44 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand the OP'r impressions but it kind of an Apples to Oranges comparison.

The OP’r has a manual transmission IS250 vs. an automatic IS250 with AWD. It is like a double whammy. The driving characteristics between these two cars have got to be night and day. I have not driven the manual but this is just common sense. The AWD has some gearing changes etc… to make the performance similar but it is not 100% transparent.

You have a bunch of extra weight in the front of the car that tends to make it over steer. The list goes on…..

IMO any of the IS250’s can only be considered to have a little “pep” compared to normal cars. None are truly fast as of yet but I can see where the manual would have a lot more of the “fun-to-drive” factor in the summer. However my AWD is fun for all four seasons.

Regards,
Old 06-06-08, 07:20 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Yeah I have an all wheel drive.

I cant say its slow though, because its faster than my old Integra, its faster than my friend's Corolla, its faster than my friends old civic, its faster than my parent's old ES, its faster my best buddy's Sebering... gosh those people must feel like hell driving such "slow" cars

I cant say it feels like a boat either, it has less body roll than.... you guessed it

However much body it has I remedy most of it with the F sport shocks lol.

I think the AWD is a very economical car for the masses, in normal mode the gas pedal is very unresponsive unless you floor it, which is why I can do 30mpg in this car and get 420 miles a tank doing 60% city and 40 % hwy.

And man the bulge is annoying as hell, but I got used to it now and I dont even notice it anymore.

All I can say is, its not fast where you can go and show up all the Honda rice boys, but it felt a lot quicker than all the other cars I've driven and plenty of power for the normal road use.

If the OP thinks this is bad coming from his RWD 6MT IS250.......take a look at my sig. My AWD is a DOG compared to my GTO....obviously. Both of those cars were daily drivers. I drove the G35 through 3 NY winters and the GTO through 1. After totalling the GTO, I just thought it was about time I grew up a little. I'll own another LSx car again, but until then, my AWD will keep me out of trouble. I'll never have to worry about it, never dump money into it, and when the snow comes around, no changing rims and tires, no dropping tire pressure with my fingers turning blue, and no riding the clutch like crazy to keep the tires from breaking loose. It may not evoke much emotion, but really, the car (living in the snow belt) just makes damned good sense.

It doesn't hurt that I'm getting a killer deal on it either, thanks to my family's long (we've-had-at-least-one-Lexus-in-the-house-since-the-ES250-which-my-mother-bought-new) standing relationship with Lexus and our dealer.
Old 06-06-08, 09:53 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by panyo64
If the OP thinks this is bad coming from his RWD 6MT IS250.......take a look at my sig. My AWD is a DOG compared to my GTO....obviously. Both of those cars were daily drivers. I drove the G35 through 3 NY winters and the GTO through 1. After totalling the GTO, I just thought it was about time I grew up a little. I'll own another LSx car again, but until then, my AWD will keep me out of trouble. I'll never have to worry about it, never dump money into it, and when the snow comes around, no changing rims and tires, no dropping tire pressure with my fingers turning blue, and no riding the clutch like crazy to keep the tires from breaking loose. It may not evoke much emotion, but really, the car (living in the snow belt) just makes damned good sense.

It doesn't hurt that I'm getting a killer deal on it either, thanks to my family's long (we've-had-at-least-one-Lexus-in-the-house-since-the-ES250-which-my-mother-bought-new) standing relationship with Lexus and our dealer.

Man, did you get old all of a sudden!
Old 06-06-08, 10:10 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Haha.. thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Everyone has their own opinion on the cars, and I want to say that I appreciate the good humor and willingness to explain/debate. I don't quite think it's apples-to-oranges, as Gaugster suggested; a Ferrari 360 Modena compared to a Dodge Durango would be that sort of comparison, but we're talking about different ISes.

This comparision is no different than IS250 versus IS350 and the point is clear: each car (IS250 RWD versus IS250M versus IS250 AWD versus IS350) has its own market and each owner has its own reasons for buying it. I noticed that most owners bought the AWD simply for the AWD. That's awesome and I'm really happy that Lexus has provided a product for your need because otherwise you'd have to either get an SUV (gas guzzling) or a Subaru (not as nice) or an Audi with quattro (expensive).

I got a manual for the fact that it's a manual. Yes, slow is relative and it's slower than the 350, but I like it. I feel like it's faster because my head and my hand are more coordinated than my head and a computer that decides when it wants to shift.

I just wanted to see whether IS250 AWD owners noticed the same things I did when I drove the car. Seems like it's not. There are too many factors involved; perhaps the 06 model that I drove wasn't well maintained when it was sold back to the dealership, maybe it has some weird problems that no one else has seen.

So thanks again guys for the support and discussion on CL. It's nice to know that despite all the gripes that people have here and there about Lexus that they have really thought things through and addresses each person's need. Now if only they could make an IS350 MT with selectable AWD and fuel efficient technology (selective cylinder activation?)....
Old 06-06-08, 12:31 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more input, much like some previous. We got our IS AWD for the AWD. If the 350 had been availbe with AWD, it would have been parked in our garage. Our IS a daily driver, and has gotten us through two rather nasty winters here without issues. The next option we had was another RX, and since we already had one, the IS was just what we needed. So far, it's got enough power for my wife to manage to get busted for speeding about once every two months, and it's still unusual enough in our area that people ask what kind of Lexus it is (IS's are very rare here, and usually have Canadian plates). All in all, we would buy it again, great car, good mileage, fun to drive, and works great in ice and snow.
Old 06-06-08, 01:32 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always, I love my AWD in the rough Chicago winters. This past year I confirmed that I made the right choice with our immense snowfall. Yes, it could use more horses and the transfer care bulge is annoying, but the car sticks to the road very well.
Old 06-08-08, 07:46 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Man, did you get old all of a sudden!
Yup. Ride's over. I just have to finish college and get up on my own two feet before I buy another fun car. I'd say "before-I-even-think...." but God knows I think about it every damned day. Until then, I'm probably going to buy out this lease and just hold on to this car for ages. The GFM AWD should look quite nice next to a Jetstream Blue C6 Z06 with a big heads and cam, a Tranzilla Jr. T-56/TR6060, adjustable inverted shocks, and a Caravaggio interior..... some day.
Old 06-08-08, 08:08 PM
playerof00
Driver School Candidate

Smile

i have the is250 awd, is def. slower than a lot of other cars, but hey the car weight in at 3500lbs and only have 204 hp? what the hell how you going to be fast right? but i do admit the smooth transmition does put me to sleep ..
Old 06-08-08, 08:15 PM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by panyo64
Yup. Ride's over. I just have to finish college and get up on my own two feet before I buy another fun car. I'd say "before-I-even-think...." but God knows I think about it every damned day. Until then, I'm probably going to buy out this lease and just hold on to this car for ages. The GFM AWD should look quite nice next to a Jetstream Blue C6 Z06 with a big heads and cam, a Tranzilla Jr. T-56/TR6060, adjustable inverted shocks, and a Caravaggio interior..... some day.
I hope you can afford the gas when you can afford that car! BTW, I will be 58on Fathers Day. Motor head from before you were born. Still am. ALWAYS will be. When Buicks start looking good I hope they will shoot me!
Old 06-08-08, 08:23 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

I have a AWD 250, and I usually laugh at those who get stuck in the snow when I drive by them

Since I'm not a ricer, power isn't that important to me...
Old 06-08-08, 08:53 PM
dra5037
Rookie

does lexus have any particular reason for not making an:
-IS 250 AWD Manual?
-IS 350 AWD?
-IS 350 Manual?
-IS 350 AWD Manual?

it's such a hard decision: power, AWD, or manual... why don't they just put them all into one car.
I ended up going with the 250 AWD, but if it were available I would have definitely gotten the 350 AWD.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about the AWD