IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC with less then 200miles! (resolved - gas cap not tight)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 06:41 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check VSC with less then 200miles! (resolved - gas cap not tight)

Hello all.

I got a check VSC message on the dash this morning when i started up. The car seems to be running fine, i tried restarting but same thing pops up. It has less then 200 miles on it. I am going to see if it comes up when i go to lunch today if it does looks like ill be calling the dealer. Anyone know exactly what the error means?

I've seen threads about people getting it after filling up and not tighting the gas cap, but i havent filled the thing up yet its still on the dealer fill up. Thanks
Old 06-06-08, 06:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you change anything or add any aftermarket parts? you are the one that just got the car at McGrath right??
Old 06-06-08, 06:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Most likely your gas cap is not on tight. Give it 2 clicks and the Check VSC should go away. Happened to me the other week as well.
Old 06-06-08, 07:24 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
did you change anything or add any aftermarket parts? you are the one that just got the car at McGrath right??
Yep just picked it up Weds night. Nope nothing installed on the car, havent even put gas in it yet

Originally Posted by caymandive
Most likely your gas cap is not on tight. Give it 2 clicks and the Check VSC should go away. Happened to me the other week as well.

I will give that a shot and see if it fixes the message thanks.
Old 06-06-08, 10:20 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that the "Check VSC" check doesn't happen at every startup. There's a timer or some sort of mileage counter instead, so even if you fix the issue, you'll have to drive around a while before the light will turn off.
Old 06-06-08, 10:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

The techs might have missed something during PDI...
Old 06-06-08, 11:15 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeho
Keep in mind that the "Check VSC" check doesn't happen at every startup. There's a timer or some sort of mileage counter instead, so even if you fix the issue, you'll have to drive around a while before the light will turn off.
I went out and the gas cap was loose but when i tried to tighten it, it almost seems like the thing doesnt want to tighten. On my honda i could tighten it and you would hear clicks, with this one you hear one little soft click but cant turn it anymore. Is this normal?

Anyways i tightened it to the one "click" and drove around to pick up lunch. Check VSC stayed on, and when we were leaving the restaurant it was on again.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The techs might have missed something during PDI...
Sorry Joe what is PDI? Please dont tell me there is something wrong with the car...this already is the 2nd car as the first one that we picked had an ignition problem and they had to do a dealer swap to get this one.
Old 06-06-08, 11:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by IceZ
Sorry Joe what is PDI? Please dont tell me there is something wrong with the car...this already is the 2nd car as the first one that we picked had an ignition problem and they had to do a dealer swap to get this one.
PDI is pre-delivery inspection. It's a thorough check of the vehicle that the service department is supposed to do before it is delivered to you.

Unless you live very far from the dealer, I'd bring it back and have them look at it. They'll plug in their scan tool, read the trouble code (or codes), and determine why the light came on.
Old 06-06-08, 11:41 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
PDI is pre-delivery inspection. It's a thorough check of the vehicle that the service department is supposed to do before it is delivered to you.

Unless you live very far from the dealer, I'd bring it back and have them look at it. They'll plug in their scan tool, read the trouble code (or codes), and determine why the light came on.
Im about 40 miles from the dealer. I need to take it back there on tuesday for them to install my sirius radio. Do you think it will be ok until then if i just keep checking that gascap over the weekend.
Old 06-06-08, 11:47 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im about 40 miles from the dealer. I need to take it back there on tuesday for them to install my sirius radio. Do you think it will be ok until then if i just keep checking that gascap over the weekend.
IMO I think you are fine and I would do the same. Just call them and tell them you will be there on Tuesday and can the do both at the same time. If they feel its important for you to be there sooner they will tell you. You have road side if something where to happen. Yes not fun but at least you have piece of mind just in case. I have to take my wifes Acura in for a similar reason but her car is about a year old. They said to wait till tomorrow and they would have a loaner. except on her car its the check emissions?? never had that one before so since she drives it and its under warranty I want them to check it over.

hope all goes well!
Old 06-06-08, 11:50 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I'm guessing nothing more than... drumroll please... tire pressure sensor. Make sure your monitoring set 1, and not set 2!!!!!

You can check by using the setting and arrows to the left of your steering console.

Last edited by Tmirk; 06-06-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 12:19 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
IMO I think you are fine and I would do the same. Just call them and tell them you will be there on Tuesday and can the do both at the same time. If they feel its important for you to be there sooner they will tell you. You have road side if something where to happen. Yes not fun but at least you have piece of mind just in case. I have to take my wifes Acura in for a similar reason but her car is about a year old. They said to wait till tomorrow and they would have a loaner. except on her car its the check emissions?? never had that one before so since she drives it and its under warranty I want them to check it over.

hope all goes well!
Ya i just got off the phone with the service dept and he said they might need to replace the gascap if it truely is not holding the seal. But he said they would need to clear the error anyways. He said it wasnt a big deal unless that error starts flashing or the car starts driving differently. They will take a look when i go in for the radio install.

Originally Posted by Tmirk
I'm guessing nothing more than... drumroll please... tire pressure sensor. Make sure your monitoring set 1, and not set 2!!!!!

You can check by using the setting and arrows to the left of your steering console.
Could that setting change on its own? Cause i havent changed anything since i took delivery on weds.
Old 06-06-08, 12:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Ya i just got off the phone with the service dept and he said they might need to replace the gascap if it truely is not holding the seal. But he said they would need to clear the error anyways. He said it wasnt a big deal unless that error starts flashing or the car starts driving differently. They will take a look when i go in for the radio install.
Did you take the gas cap all the way off and then put it back on? That is what I did and the Check VSC immediately went away upon the next start. I also noticed along with the check VSC on that my traction control was disabled and all those lights were on as well.
Old 06-06-08, 12:27 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Did you take the gas cap all the way off and then put it back on? That is what I did and the Check VSC immediately went away upon the next start. I also noticed along with the check VSC on that my traction control was disabled and all those lights were on as well.
I took it all the way off. Then put it back on but like i said it didnt feel like it was really locking in place. Ya i have Check VSC, traction control light is on (which means its off ) and check engine was on as well.
Old 06-06-08, 12:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I took it all the way off. Then put it back on but like i said it didnt feel like it was really locking in place. Ya i have Check VSC, traction control light is on (which means its off ) and check engine was on as well.
Yup, that is exactly what I saw. The dealership should be able to fix that fairly quick if the cap is defective. BTW..your traction really is off and I believe the car is running in some kind of open loop mode now.

Quick Reply: Check VSC with less then 200miles! (resolved - gas cap not tight)