IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is the Lexus dealer treating me like I'm dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 11:54 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are 2 TSB's for our IS350's brakes, one is for squeeking brake pads, and the other is for excessive dust. My brakes never squeeked even once from driving the car off the showroom floor. However, they did have waaayy too much dust. I had the dealer perform the TSB for the dust issue, and those pads have not even once squeeked either. Go to the Lexus dealer, and TELL them you want the TSB done for the squeeking brake pad issue. My dealership didn't give me one word of grief, and gave me a free loaner for the day (an ES350)!
Old 06-09-08, 12:41 PM
KpXMystic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
There are 2 TSB's for our IS350's brakes, one is for squeeking brake pads, and the other is for excessive dust. My brakes never squeeked even once from driving the car off the showroom floor. However, they did have waaayy too much dust. I had the dealer perform the TSB for the dust issue, and those pads have not even once squeeked either. Go to the Lexus dealer, and TELL them you want the TSB done for the squeeking brake pad issue. My dealership didn't give me one word of grief, and gave me a free loaner for the day (an ES350)!

Do you have the TSIB Letter cuz sadly i have to go to Lexus of Glendale. They want proof of EVERYTHING!
Old 06-09-08, 01:18 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

My 07 IS350 brakes don't make noise. I carefully break-in every new car I drive and every new set of brake pads. Because of the brake dust I hose down the calipers & wheels weekly to minimize dust buildup on pads & wheels.
(after allowing the brakes to cool)

This brake dust buildup can cause noisy brakes.

Newport Lexus changed a spring in the rear brakes to eliminate a metallic noise when going over bumps under warranty
Old 06-09-08, 01:25 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm jealous!! My brakes don't squeal, but they click...
Old 06-09-08, 01:28 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

People who have brake squeaks DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Drive to a remote location with 0 traffic (No one behind you or around you at all).
2. Accelerate to 60 mph.
3. Apply the brake fully (to the floor).
4. Release the brake pedal when you reach 10 mph. Do not brake to a stop.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 four times with sufficient cool down periods in between.

This procedure will fix most brake squeaking.
Old 06-09-08, 01:29 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the TSIB for brake dust. I have almost 20k on the TSIB Brake pads and it has not squealed once and brake dust is much less.
Just go tell your dealer that your brakes produce too much damn dust.
Old 06-09-08, 01:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my TSIB brakes DON'T squeak... i think you guys baby your brakes too much, hit a touge run once in a while and RUNUMHARD!
Old 06-09-08, 01:35 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
my TSIB brakes DON'T squeak... i think you guys baby your brakes too much, hit a touge run once in a while and RUNUMHARD!
That might just work too When I had my original pads and stock rims I was up in the mountains driving spiritedly and it didnt squeal, but once I put my rims on, I had to drive like a grandpa and it then started to squeal
Old 06-09-08, 06:42 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

they most likely squeek from the excessive brake dust.. get the tsb done.. i havent had squeeks since then
Old 06-09-08, 07:21 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KpXMystic
my squeaks are just HORRIBLE isnt there anyway to fix this? Makes my lexus look really cheap... I come to a stop on a red light and it SQQQQQQUEEEEEKS... then the car next to me stares at me like im driving some bootleg lexus.. -_-;; and my squeak is REALLY loud as well... very annoying
race em
Old 06-09-08, 08:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Use your brakes like you mean it. Stop ***** footing on the pedal. Get up to 60 mph or more, hit the brakes until you are engaging the ABS. Repeat 6 or 8 times. Drive for a good 20 minutes after without using the brakes and all will be well. It's called bedding and its fundamental to any high performance brakes.
Old 06-09-08, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
they most likely squeek from the excessive brake dust.. get the tsb done.. i havent had squeeks since then
This is absolute hogwash. Brakes squeak because there is no pad material on the face of the disc. Dust is a total non-player in this. You need to bed the pads to get pad material on the disc and the squeaks will stop completely.

Seriously - some of you guys want BBKs and you can't even bed in your pads? What will you say when you've dropped $3k or more on brakes and they squeak mercilessly because you're afraid to use them for their intended purpose?
Old 06-09-08, 09:25 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Seriously - some of you guys want BBKs and you can't even bed in your pads? What will you say when you've dropped $3k or more on brakes and they squeak mercilessly because you're afraid to use them for their intended purpose?
...............+1
Old 06-10-08, 09:09 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is absolute hogwash. Brakes squeak because there is no pad material on the face of the disc. Dust is a total non-player in this. You need to bed the pads to get pad material on the disc and the squeaks will stop completely.

Lobux, I had the TSB pads installed on my 06 about a year ago, and while there is practically zero brake dust, it feels like the brakes are very "mushy". Coming to a stop, I feel like I have to dig into the pedal much more than I used to, and stopping from higher speeds doesn't inspire much confidence (almost feels like they're overheated - that fluid feeling where they don't grab well).

Could this be caused by improper/no bedding of the brakes? I was under the impression that the Lexus pads were bedded or worn in before installation. The dealer gave the car back to me with zero added miles, and instructed me to take it easy on the brakes for a week or two.

The dealer also machined the brake rotors (against my wishes), but shaving a thousandth or two off the rotor shouldn't be causing these symptoms.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-08, 04:29 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

No matter what the dealer tells you, Brake squeak is not normal. If it were, all cars would do it. When's the last time you heard someone say to the dealer "My brakes *don't* squeak and I hear that it's normal, so, could you make them squeak, please?" When the dealer says it's normal, that means they're supposed to squeak? Give me a break! (No pun intended).LOL. The brakes on my 350 have *never* squeaked and that is the way it's supposed to be.

Quick Reply: Why is the Lexus dealer treating me like I'm dumb?