IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

front bumper help! (license plate holes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 11:51 PM
Lexi2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper help! (license plate holes)

Okie so i need your guys help. I'm looking for a front panel or something to cover up the license plate holes from the dealership. I tried www.bumperplugs.com and i ended up returning the plugs because they were too thick for the holes already in my bumper. I see other cars like mine where their front bumper is clean with no front plate holes or a license plate and i'm so jelous cus i want mine to look like that!
Can anyone help me out??? thanx u guys.
Old 06-11-08, 07:56 AM
jp350
Rookie

unfortunately there are not many economical solutions for your problem. you will likely have to live with the look of bumper plugs, get the holes filled and repaint the bumper at a body shop, or get a new bumper. the two latter options just don't seem to be worth it for me. you could always go with bumper plugs and get an aftermarket grille or something so that it shifts attention away from the bumper plugs to your new grille! GL
Old 06-11-08, 08:27 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these too big for you?

http://aircraftpaintprotection.net/a...f67337312ba15d

Check out the Vendor Page for Aerotect
Old 06-11-08, 09:13 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

In the Car photography industry we use paintable tape to cover plate holes expensive but maybe the best way to achive what you want
Old 06-11-08, 10:25 AM
DrGP
Driver

You have a nunber of options, none of which are great.

1) Use the bumperplugs and live with it.

2) My local dealer puts on small chome "Lexus " License plate that does not look horrible, not great either

3) Replace the entire front bumper cover. $$$$

4) Have a body shop fill in the holes and repaint. My lexus dealer found an IS 300 for my duaghter's boyfriend a few years back and it came with a front license plate that is not used here in PA. He had them fill in the holes at N/C to him. Perhaps if you talk with your Lexus dealer, they might be willing to do it at a reduced charge? Worst they can say is no.
Old 06-11-08, 11:30 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Just use bumper plugs, it's reversible and the most cost effective. You're in California so you never know when you'll get a ticket for not having your front plate. You can just go to your local autoparts stores and get some body clips, there are many types of them so you can pick the one that fits your taste. Do some research on CL and you'll find your answers.
Old 06-11-08, 03:44 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

Default ill do you one better

at NAPA... there are plugs that fit pretty perfect.. you will have to paint them, I am in that process myself right now having bought a Glacier Frost 3 stage paint kid...or you can touch em up, or get em painted... but they fit the whole you just have to push them in... there was a thread on this where someone did it and it looks pretty damn good... he (Twitte) used a specific part:

"The part number that I got from NAPA was:
Balkamp p/n 665-2436 called "Retaining Clips"

This worked perfectly for me without any drilling of the holes. It all depends on what size holes your dealer drilled into your bumper. See the earlier posts and photos (and measurements that I gave to confirm you have the same hole size). My holes were 3/16."

These will work you just need to decide how to get em painted.
Old 06-11-08, 03:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGearLA
at NAPA... there are plugs that fit pretty perfect.. you will have to paint them, I am in that process myself right now having bought a Glacier Frost 3 stage paint kid...or you can touch em up, or get em painted... but they fit the whole you just have to push them in... there was a thread on this where someone did it and it looks pretty damn good... he (Twitte) used a specific part:

This worked perfectly for me without any drilling of the holes. It all depends on what size holes your dealer drilled into your bumper. See the earlier posts and photos (and measurements that I gave to confirm you have the same hole size). My holes were 3/16."

+1

just went to a auto parts store and bought some small ones for about $2 then used touch up paint....since I had park sensors, they blended right in.
Old 06-15-08, 08:08 PM
Lexi2008
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TopGearLA

Thanx everyone for your input and ideas. When i took my car in for its first oil change, i asked the dealership about helping me out with the front holes, and he basically told me No and to go to an auto body shop and told me its the law in cali to have a plate.
I'll try NAPA for that part. Thanx again.
Old 06-16-08, 10:11 AM
wkw84
Driver

smart, topgearla!
Old 06-16-08, 10:42 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

or buy a new bumper =P
Old 12-31-10, 08:47 AM
leartest81
Driver School Candidate

Smile License Plate Holes

Picked up my new ES350 two days ago---came from Kalifornia and had the dreaded two holes in the front bumper. I bought the recommended NAPA Balkamp p/n 665-2436 Retaining Clips. Roughed up gently with sandpaper and sprayed a very light coat of automotive primer. Followed with two brushed coats of Matador Red Mica touch up paint. Let dry over night then lightly sanded w/ 600 grit and finished w/ polishing compound (NOT rubbing compound---made that mistake in the past). Cleaned up the holes, pressed in place and they look PERFECT as if the car came from Japan that way. WARNING: I made beeg mistake by "trial fitting" the unpainted plugs to see how they looked. A really nasty job getting them out without scratching my new bumper so be patient. Thank you to previous posters who recommended those NAPA plugs!
Old 12-31-10, 10:31 AM
JP4931
Driver School Candidate

Try these plugs and they come painted to match your car!

http://aerotect.net/catalog/product_...65a0ca94d56a39
Old 12-31-10, 11:51 AM
awd_pwnz
Driver

ok.. im in the same boat as you. but the issue im having is that i have 4 holes on my because the idiot dealer used a too long of a bolt for the LP and ended up gouging the bumper.

solution : im having my local vynil shop get the closest vynil to match my SGM and just sticking that on the LP area. simple, clean, and cheap.
Old 12-31-10, 01:46 PM
ILL250
Driver

I just did mine last week with Napa plugs, costed around $5 for a bag of 10 and I used touch up paint to paint the plugs. Didnt have to drill but I had to sand down the "volcano" holes a bit to make the surface flat. Check out this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...per-plugs.html