IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY for clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 08:31 PM
ViEtNaStEe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noliesss
The heat gun will help shield your edges or a hair dryer.
Yea I used a heat gun on most of the edges and it was effective. But for just some of the edges, it didn't help because of the little amount of contact, especially the curved edges. I just ended up holding a little part of each edge at a time down for 10+ minutes so it would stay. hahah. That added a lot of time.
Old 06-14-08, 09:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Where did you buy your clear bra from?

i think I would recommend this kit instead of the cheap kit on ebay.

This is the 3m clear bra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...058351555&rd=1
Old 06-15-08, 01:33 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

thanks everyone for ur feedback and comments, i think i am going to go for it since the kit is going to cost like $50, if all else fail its an experience
plus i red out my tail lights and my fog light and it look pretty good so i think i know what im doing, i think hahaha

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Where did you buy your clear bra from?

i think I would recommend this kit instead of the cheap kit on ebay.

This is the 3m clear bra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...058351555&rd=1
that kit does look better since its my first time doin thin i dont want to risk wasting that much money on it, probally go for the cheap stuff and if everything looks good then i'll proballe switch it to the good stuff
Old 06-15-08, 08:40 AM
noliesss
Driver

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
thanks everyone for ur feedback and comments, i think i am going to go for it since the kit is going to cost like $50, if all else fail its an experience
plus i red out my tail lights and my fog light and it look pretty good so i think i know what im doing, i think hahaha
that kit does look better since its my first time doin thin i dont want to risk wasting that much money on it, probally go for the cheap stuff and if everything looks good then i'll proballe switch it to the good stuff
Just go for the one with extremcity for $40 shipped on ebay. I got the exact same bra from them and it is not bad at all. I would say it is the same stuff as 3M. I really don't see the big different between the two. I checked mine out with one car with factory bra and very similar.

If you want to make the bumper easier to install, I would recommend cutting the bumper bra in half , that way you could do one side then the other. The liscence plate will cover the cut line, if you have a frpnt plate that is. That was how I did mine and it saved me a lot of time and way easier to install.
Old 06-15-08, 01:42 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

thanks noliess for ur help, just a quick question tho, aren't the heat gun suppose to get the bubbles out, how does it help the edges? also can i install it piece by piece and how long does it usually take for it be dry to where i can drive around with it?
Old 06-15-08, 01:57 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

i have a semi related question thats probably not worth starting a new thread over.

on the rear, right next to the back edge of the rear door, there appers to be a clear bra type deal triangluar section, its kinda peeling and I want to take it off, any recommendations on how to go about doing this?

and where would i find a replacement piece? I am not sure if they are stock or not, but it looks like a triangle sticker that follows the wheel well.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-08, 04:32 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heating it up with a heat gun before/while you peel it off should help you get it off with all the adhesive.

http://www.clearbrafilms.com/newyork <<< call around for replacement pieces. I'm sure you'd be able to get it pretty cheap since you're not asking for a full kit.
Old 06-15-08, 04:57 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just dont be scared to use alot of your soap/water mixture or water/rubbing alcohol solution.
Old 06-16-08, 01:07 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

just brought the clear bra kit, will post pics of finish installtion after done. hope everything goes well.
Old 06-16-08, 10:03 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

awesome. tell us how it goes. take a picture when it comes. I might purchase mine soon too.
Old 06-16-08, 01:07 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

laser precut films are always too exact. you will have the "peeling" effect if not done right.

In order to prevent this, for example, if you purchased a 18" Hood cover, slide your hood piece down so it covers baout 15" (you will have overflowing pieces). Make sure you keep the piece wet and apply pressure from midde outwards. Tuck your remain piece under the hood as you use a hair dryer to heat up and smooth out the edges. the film will eventually shrink a little and stick on. then using a blade, cutt off hte excess film from underneath.
This way, you will avoide some peeling effect. smae to the fenders. As for the bumper, since its 1 whole piece, you cant really slide in or out, so really depends on the product you purchased on how accurate it is.

good luck on the bumper but as for fenders and hood, my technique definately works.
Old 06-16-08, 01:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

seem like you have experience. did you install it yourself?

I am planning to purchase the clear bra sheet and planning to install it on my rear bumper.

People here in San Francisco need to learn how to park without tapping other people cars.
Old 06-16-08, 01:49 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Front bumper is the hardest part to do, you definitely need an extra pair of hands.
Old 06-17-08, 01:39 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Just dont be scared to use alot of your soap/water mixture or water/rubbing alcohol solution.
is that the best thing to use while installin it, is there any formulated liquid that would make it easier?

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
laser precut films are always too exact. you will have the "peeling" effect if not done right.

In order to prevent this, for example, if you purchased a 18" Hood cover, slide your hood piece down so it covers baout 15" (you will have overflowing pieces). Make sure you keep the piece wet and apply pressure from midde outwards. Tuck your remain piece under the hood as you use a hair dryer to heat up and smooth out the edges. the film will eventually shrink a little and stick on. then using a blade, cutt off hte excess film from underneath.
This way, you will avoide some peeling effect. smae to the fenders. As for the bumper, since its 1 whole piece, you cant really slide in or out, so really depends on the product you purchased on how accurate it is.

good luck on the bumper but as for fenders and hood, my technique definately works.
thanks for the advise will do just that
Old 06-17-08, 08:37 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
is that the best thing to use while installin it, is there any formulated liquid that would make it easier?

Not really, get a big spray bottle and fill it up with 90% water and 10% alcohol or soap like dawn. Its mainly there to provide slip for the clear bra. You move around the material until its where you want it. Squeegee the corner and then work side to side. Use a heat gun for corner and hair bubbles. If you have a small needle the ones where you can puncture air bubbles and suck the air out it would be great.

If you think you added to much solution, dont worry it will only dry

If edges dont stick, hold it for a good minute and it should be okay.

The angles and curves and grooves are fairly tricky when installing a clear bra, so be patient and take your time. If it looks like its drying hit it with some more water. Remember this stuff is like elastic you can stretch it and everything, but once stretched it wont go back to original cut, so beaware not to stretch the film for no reason.

Good Luck

(if theres typos, forgive me haha i just woke up)

Quick Reply: DIY for clear bra?