IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Corolla commercial referring to IS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 06:03 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Uh, Unlike the Cavalier and Camaro the GTO sure looks a lot like a G6 coupe with a different front end and bigger wheels.

Are you sure the comparison isnt closer to an 4 cylinder Altima vs V6 Altima S?
Troll. The difference between two cars has been explained. However, you continue to push the issue, now giving the example of two different trim levels of the same car to get a rise out of me. Quite mature.

Allow me, for a second, to stoop.

COABOD.

And the guy in the commercial was right. The front end of the Corolla has the grill and headlights of a Camry on the lower bumper of an IS. Can't really deny it now that pictures have been posted.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-18-08 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-18-08, 06:26 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panyo64
Troll. The difference between two cars has been explained. However, you continue to push the issue, now giving the example of two different trim levels of the same car to get a rise out of me. Quite mature.

Allow me, for a second, to stoop.

COABOD.

And the guy in the commercial was right. The front end of the Corolla has the grill and headlights of a Camry on the lower bumper of an IS. Can't really deny it now that pictures have been posted.
Wow. Unbunch your panties. Saying that the G6 has GTO styling cues isn't a value judgment. It's still a good, nice, luxurious car. If you're gonna let a little marketing wind you up, maybe you should reevalute your priorities.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less. I don't drive/buy cars as status symbols. I buy them for what they can do. My 3000GT looked like a eclipse/ stealth/ galant but it ran the doors off of everything that ever tried to race me. My GTO looks pretty, is comfortable, has all sorts of nice features, and will be great in the snow (even if it is slow as sin) I don't really care if someone tells me it looks like a G6. Even if I did, I could point to about 2 different things (Engine, transmission) and ask "Can your G6 do this?" and be done with it.

But I don't. Because I'm not insecure. You shouldn't be either
Old 06-18-08, 06:34 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Wow. Unbunch your panties. Saying that the G6 has GTO styling cues isn't a value judgment. It's still a good, nice, luxurious car. If you're gonna let a little marketing wind you up, maybe you should reevalute your priorities.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less. I don't drive/buy cars as status symbols. I buy them for what they can do. My 3000GT looked like a eclipse/ stealth/ galant but it ran the doors off of everything that ever tried to race me. My GTO looks pretty, is comfortable, has all sorts of nice features, and will be great in the snow (even if it is slow as sin) I don't really care if someone tells me it looks like a G6. Even if I did, I could point to about 2 different things (Engine, transmission) and ask "Can your G6 do this?" and be done with it.

But I don't. Because I'm not insecure. You shouldn't be either
Saw that coming. However, the argument doesn't apply.

I responded because you were being obtuse and immature. To have someone continually throw in my face "Dude, the GTO is just a G6 with a bigger motor" and be completely wrong about it is different than "Wow, the Corolla has some styling cues from the ISx50."

The guy in the advert never blatantly wrong. He said the Corolla looks a bit like the IS. Sorry, but he's right. Those foglights are virtually identical. He never said, nor implied, that the IS and the Corolla are the same car. You were continually (and intentionally) wrong.

But you enjoy your victory. I'm sure you're feeling quite satisfied with yourself right now.
Old 06-18-08, 06:41 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Saw that coming. However, the argument doesn't apply.

I responded because you were being obtuse and immature. To have someone continually throw in my face "Dude, the GTO is just a G6 with a bigger motor" and be completely wrong about it is different than "Wow, the Corolla has some styling cues from the ISx50."

The guy in the advert never blatantly wrong. He said the Corolla looks a bit like the IS. Sorry, but he's right. Those foglights are virtually identical. He never said, nor implied, that the IS and the Corolla are the same car. You were continually (and intentionally) wrong.

But you enjoy your victory. I'm sure you're feeling quite satisfied with yourself right now.
Aww, feelings hurt? The guy quoted below wouldnt be bothered by such a comparison, because he isnt insecure and you shouldnt be either.

Wow. Unbunch your panties people. Saying that the Corolla has IS styling cues isn't a value judgment. It's still a good, nice, luxurious car. If you're gonna let a little marketing wind you up, maybe you should reevalute your priorities.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less. I don't drive/buy cars as status symbols. I buy them for what they can do. My GTO looked like a G6/ Cavalier/ Sunfire/ Monte Carlo but it ran the doors off of everything that ever tried to race me. My IS looks pretty, is comfortable, has all sorts of nice features, and will be great in the snow (even if it is slow as sin) I don't really care if someone tells me it looks like a Corolla. Even if I did, I could point to about 100 different things (sunshade, AWD, AFS HIDs, touchscreen MFD, dual zone, heated/vented seats.........) and ask "Can your Corolla do this?" and be done with it.

But I don't. Because I'm not insecure. You shouldn't be either.
The point of my posts are to show you that its annoying when people say that your car is just an upgraded corrolla. Even though, that is not the case.

PS... the G6 coupe Looks very similar to the GTO, different platform or not.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 06-18-08 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-18-08, 06:52 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

The point of my posts are to show you that its annoying when people say that your car is just an upgraded corrolla. Even though, that is not the case.
That was my point. The guy never said the car was an upgraded Corolla. The OP took one comment about shared styling and ran with it.

And speaking of annoying; yes, it is annoying when people continually and immaturely insist that two different cars are the same. However, nobody in the advert, in this thread, or ever to my knowledge has implied that the IS is the ES to the Corolla's Camry. Which is why I told the OP to unwad his panties.

Read the underlined part again. Read it until it sinks in. What you were doing and what the focus of this thread is are two entirely different things.

This is what you were doing.

"I don't know what you're getting upset about, he never said that they were the same car."
"So the GTO is just a halo G6?"
"No"
"So the GTO is just a halo G6?"
"No. And shut up. You're being a brat."
"HAH. YOU GOT UPSET! YOU SEE?!? IT'S THE SAME THING! YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN HIM!"
"Grow up."

PS: And that's why I bought the GTO. I didn't want a car that would stand out, so I even bought it in cookie cutter silver. I wanted a car that would blend in when I needed it too. I planned on making 520 or so at the wheels when I was done with it, and generally, you don't want a car that fast to stand out if you want to make some money (or want to keep a clean driving record), so I planned ahead. If I wanted the attention, I would've been daily driving an Electron Blue C5Z06.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-18-08 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I can haz spllng?
Old 06-18-08, 07:01 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

number 1 i thought the new corolla tried to look like the 2007 camry's if you look at the front.If they say the corolla is like an IS than does that mean the yaris sedan is like an Is? Cuz i had a yaris and traded it in for an 07 camry and it look like a corolla to me.

Number 2. why would toyota do this? it's so stupid. Why not put down other cars. You got the Sonata and Chevy Malibu putting down the Camry and accord and toyota responds by capring to lexus? Dont punk your own family go after someone else who trying to make more sells then you. By the way i laugh at chevy and those sonata's commercials.
Old 06-18-08, 07:56 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

That was my point. The guy never said the car was an upgraded Corolla. The OP took one comment about shared styling and ran with it.

And speaking of annoying; yes, it is annoying when people continually and immaturely insist that two different cars are the same. However, nobody in the advert, in this thread, or ever to my knowledge has implied that the IS is the ES to the Corolla's Camry. Which is why I told the OP to unwad his panties.

As I stated earlier. The implication of that commercial, is that people will associate the IS with the Corrolla.

See how easily you were annoyed by my association of the G6 and the GTO... even though a rant of yours stated how these things dont bother you because of how secure you are.

Oh... and these Foglights look exactly alike to you?...... and I am the Troll? They look about as similar as a trapazoid and a triangle.

Old 06-18-08, 08:41 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

As I stated earlier. The implication of that commercial, is that people will associate the IS with the Corrolla.

See how easily you were annoyed by my association of the G6 and the GTO... even though a rant of yours stated how these things dont bother you because of how secure you are.

Oh... and these Foglights look exactly alike to you?...... and I am the Troll? They look about as similar as a trapazoid and a triangle.

I got annoyed because you kept throwing it out there even after having been corrected. I told you you were wrong, Bichon told you you were wrong. However, because you wanted to bait me, you kept it up. You can't really be trying to pull a baiting stunt like that and then take the moral high ground. The implication is only drawn by people who are insecure. Grow up.

You didn't imply anything. You intentionally kept repeating yourself after both I and Bichon told you you were wrong.

I wasn't annoyed by the implication. I was annoyed by your persistance. There's a difference. Again, grow up.

EDIT: Not the shape of the foglight housing, the fog light enclosure, and the front radiator opening. Compare the two. If you can't see the similarities, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-18-08, 08:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And this ends this discussion...
Old 06-18-08, 03:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Uh, Unlike the Cavalier and Camaro the GTO sure looks a lot like a G6 coupe with a different front end and bigger wheels.

Are you sure the comparison isnt closer to an 4 cylinder Altima vs V6 Altima S?
As I said in an earlier post, it's an entirely different platform. Besides that, one if front wheel drive, the other is rear wheel drive.