IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to cool off quicker with the air conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 01:37 AM
vlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to cool off quicker with the air conditioner?

I've searched around the forum for answers to this question but haven't found much (maybe because the ways A/C can be spelled - air conditioner, HVAC, airco etc.). So:

If I hop in my black Lexus IS 250 2006 midday, after a morning in the sun, it takes a lot for the interior to cool down to a breathable temperature. I use a sunshade all the time, and I have the temperature set to "LO", but it takes 1-2 minutes until the A/C spits out any air colder than the interior. Right after I start the engine, there's just hot air blowing out of it. I know this is somewhat normal, but I never noticed it with my Corolla '99.

Is there a way to cool off the IS 250 faster?

If I have no passengers, are there any tricks I can do, perhaps involving setting the temperature control to "Dual" and letting the right-seat be hot? I read here on the forums that the HVAC is very efficient, so I don't hope to get any mpgs from this, but maybe some shorter sauna times or not having to drive with the windows down for the first minutes.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-08, 03:40 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

hmmm, I know trying to park in the shade or indoors would be the best thing to do. I try to do that all the time unless I'm forced to park outside. I've got tinted windows so they really help along with the front windshield sun shade. Have you thought about using a car cover?

Anyways, about the A/C, I think it's pretty inevitable that it'll shoot hot/warm air for the first minute or two. Your corolla must've had a nicer unit.

What I do to make the car uniformly cool or warm is to point the side vents torwards withe windows and the center stack vents straight up torwards the sun roof. that way the you're cooling off the cabin and not yourself. Putting A/C directly on you is not good for your anyway (I feel like crap after a while of doing that)
Old 06-21-08, 04:29 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well its easy, get in, start the car and open the sunroof and start driving, heat rises right? so it'll rise right out of the top, then close it and it'll cool down the int in no time, works for me here in hawaii.

OR

buy the jdm rainguards then you can keep the windows open a crack without worries.
Old 06-21-08, 05:21 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
well its easy, get in, start the car and open the sunroof and start driving, heat rises right? so it'll rise right out of the top, then close it and it'll cool down the int in no time, works for me here in hawaii.

OR

buy the jdm rainguards then you can keep the windows open a crack without worries.

This must be something peeps in the hotter regions do. Heat does rise, so I'll usually open the moon roof and all the windows and have the a/c on. After driving a few blocks, I'll roll all the windows up and close the roof.
Old 06-21-08, 07:14 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol yea the sun roof does the trick alright but I usually have that open anyway because it's quieter than having the other windows open. I try to avoid the A/C whenever I can tho. if it's 86+ forget it. it's usually on
Old 06-21-08, 07:43 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I hit and hold the unlock on the remote to open all the windows and sun roof. that way when i get in some of the hot air is released. I have 100+ the last 2 weeks with a black sapphire and cashmere interior.

LittleE what do you do in the armpit of cali to cool yours IS?
Old 06-21-08, 08:33 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slee18
I hit and hold the unlock on the remote to open all the windows and sun roof. that way when i get in some of the hot air is released. I have 100+ the last 2 weeks with a black sapphire and cashmere interior.

LittleE what do you do in the armpit of cali to cool yours IS?
Wait, holding onto the unlock button pulls down all the windows and sunroof?
Old 06-21-08, 08:37 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

trying leaving the moonroof open (tilted) when you park. only problem is if it rains.
Old 06-21-08, 09:21 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zinda
Wait, holding onto the unlock button pulls down all the windows and sunroof?
Yes, its a pretty sweet feature for showing off to the honeys!!!
Old 06-21-08, 09:25 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yemilipede
Yes, its a pretty sweet feature for showing off to the honeys!!!
What other secrets does this car have like that?
Old 06-21-08, 09:27 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

The first thing I do in the afternoon (Texas!) is open the sunroof and start moving. All of the hot air is sucked out of the top of the car.

After replacing the hot air inside the car with cool air from the air conditioner, there isn't much else you can do. All of the solid surfaces in the car that have absorbed heat have to cool down by the cold air that your A/C is pumping out.

Something else I do too (and this is more of a leather preservation thing) is turn the seat ventilators on full blast for both seats for about 3-4 minutes, it really helps to cool them off.
Old 06-21-08, 09:28 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
What other secrets does this car have like that?
One day I decided to sit down and read my manual, I mean really read it.

As I got to a section about a configurable setting on the car that I wanted to change, I would pause the TV, run out to the car, configure it how I wanted and then run back inside.

I must have run out to the car 6 times that day.
Old 06-21-08, 09:34 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

When you enter your vehicle after it has sat outside for hours the temperature within the vehicle is a scorching 200 deg f (or some times more here in TX). I can tell you the best ways to get your vehicle cooled off would be to first get that heat out of there.

When walking up to your vehicle press the unlock button and keep holding it to get your windows and sunroof rolled down. When you arrive at your vehicle the temperature within will begin to cool off but the items within it like the dash, seats, panels and everything else will be very hot still. The more items you have in your vehicle, the more heat you will need to cool off. So if you're carring unwanted items it would be best to store them in your trunk.

Once you start you vehicle you may keep the temperature at max cool to get the climate control system to get the most volume of air and the evaporator (under dash cooler unit) to function at maximum cooling efficiency but TURN THE RECIRC/FRESH TO FRESH. The climate control system will be able to cool 100 deg outside air a lot easier than 200 deg interior air.

Start driving the vehicle. The cooling/radiator fans can only push so much air. Driving the vehicle at a speed of over 30 mph brings in more air than the fans can do by themselves.

In about 2 minutes you will notice the temperature from the vents becomming cooler. Once you've got cool air comming in you've gotten rid of the hot air under the dash and you may start to roll up the windows, close the sunroof and set your climate control back to the temperature you usually drive with.

I've followed this procedure on every vehicle I've owned and tell this to all my customers. I've never had a complaint about vehicle taking too long to cool thereafter.

On the side note, this procedure will also increase your gas mileage. The higher the temperature in the cabin the higher the high side a/c pressure and temperature. A/C compressors really have to fight to make those sort of temp/pressure outputs and the tax is on the engine which is directly on your gas mileage. Not to mention the entire A/C system is getting overloaded and could develop leaks from various components earlier in life. Also driving the a/c on with the heat reduced as quickly as possible from the vehicle will make your system live longer and extend your gas mileage.

-Joe
Old 06-21-08, 09:55 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Joe aka carchitect gives a great post.......You have to let the hot air out before the A/C can do anything for you. It is design to "condition the air" and it's not a blast chiller. Once you reduce the interior temp by ventilation the a/c works less and more efficient. Your in Cali like myself so I know what you have been going through these past days....Man It's hot
Old 06-21-08, 10:08 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I open the sunroof up as and crank the AC. My black interior takes a bit to cool off as well. it is normal, no worries. I miss tint (LOL).

Quick Reply: How to cool off quicker with the air conditioner?