IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How many miles did you get on your original tires?
Have not had to replace them yet
68.34%
Replaced at 15 k miles
5.41%
Replaced at 20 k miles
10.81%
Replaced at 25 k miles
5.79%
Replaced at 30 k miles
6.95%
Replaced at 35 k miles or more
2.70%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Mileage Check - Anyone replace their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 04:06 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
I have 53K on my IS, stock factory tires are still on but need replacement now.
Most of my driving is highway.
Wow I think you set some kind of all time world record!

It gives me hope....
Old 11-19-07, 10:38 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPstyle
talking on a cell phone, not signaling EVERY time one changes lanes, driving with one hand on the wheel, etc is far more dangerous.
uh, no. driving too fast for the conditions is far more dangerous...
Old 11-20-07, 06:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
uh, no. driving too fast for the conditions is far more dangerous...
Sorry for going off topic, but there are statistics that show that ten times as many accidents are caused by people driving too slow as there are accidents caused by people driving too fast. The number of fatalities are about equal.
Old 11-20-07, 08:00 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Statistics can be skewed... I heard one that said "people who own guns are more likely to get killed by their own gun than people who don't own guns." Duh, if you don't own a gun, there is absolutly NO chance that you'll get killed by it! Unless you know the details behind those stats, it's rather worthless. Did they compare people going 5mph over to people going 15mph under the limit? Fact is, we don't know.

I rarely hear of a fatal accident to which the cause of was "driving too slow" "excessive speed" however I have heard time and again.

Furthermore, no one ever said driving too slow was better than driving too fast. In fact, driving too slow was never even brought up.
Old 11-20-07, 08:18 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... like I said ... it was off topic. I wasn't even sure where that strand of conversation came from. Although now that I look back through the thread, it was from that guy (kid) who's getting less than 10K out of his tires, rotors, and brake pads.

I also realize that statistics can be skewed in strange ways. That was just one of those interesting things I learned in a defensive driving class. The instructor's point was to keep up with the flow of traffic.
Old 11-20-07, 08:43 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Agreed, driving too slow OR too fast for the conditions isn't considered "safe"
Old 11-20-07, 09:56 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I was just responding to that guy's assertion that his aggressive driving style was less dangerous than driving with one hand, not signaling, cell phone, etc. I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure he's off base when he said the latter conditions are far more dangerous.

In fact, probably the drivers that talk on the phone, drive with one hand, not signal everytime, are put in much greater danger when the other driver on the road is that other guy that drives too fast and needs the assumption that others on the road are paying complete attention in order for him to drive the way he does.

Anyway, sorry to the mods for going so far off topic. I think we're done with this digression.
Old 12-20-07, 09:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pssh, i drive with one hand on the top of the wheel and leaned over on the center console, gangsta style

AND i changed my tires so i can put in my .02c now. Took off the stock xpac rims with 35xx.mi on the turanza tires. Tires still look new Now im running general UMP with the new mooncakes.
Old 12-20-07, 09:26 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

If i remember correctly, 22k and then got some rims.
Old 01-04-08, 09:09 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Just replaced my front's at 40k, theink the rear ones will be good till about 45.
Old 01-07-08, 07:49 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Now I get to answer my own poll. I finally replaced my tires at 35k miles. Probably could have gotten another 3-5k more miles, but one tire had a slow leak and the tire shop said it really wasn't worth fixing.

Since I live in the Northeast and drive an IS250 AWD, I wanted good all-season tires. Based on Consumer Reports and Tire Rack, and price, the Conti Extreme Contact seemed like a good choice.

I don't know that I would recommend these tires, though, because they are much noisier than the stock Dunlop tires, especially on newly paved interstate highways at speeds over 70 mph. This was a bit of a disappointment, since the noise ratings were not flagged as a problem in the CR review.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the Conti's? I'm thinking about having some extra soundproofing installed.
Old 01-08-08, 01:50 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Mostly highway, Freeway 5 route... 25k miles, and finally had to replace. It was wearing thin in the inner lining... perhaps because of the coilovers :P
Old 02-15-08, 12:10 AM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

I just had my 15k service and my tread depth is 2/32. I am pissed the Dunlop Sport 5000 didn't hold up better. After reading online it looks to be an issue with heavy corning and a soft sidewall. I am looking at getting the Toyo Proxes 4's or Proxes T1R's.
Old 02-15-08, 03:06 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as of today i'm still running my stock dunplo on the rear tires. 45k this weekend.
Old 02-15-08, 04:40 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

i replaced mines at 23k and got the BFG KDW 2...great tires!!!

Quick Reply: Mileage Check - Anyone replace their tires?