IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buttons around NAV stick when car has been sitting in sun....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 02:14 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buttons around NAV stick when car has been sitting in sun....

This sucks. My buttons around my NAV display stick after the car has been in a sun for a while. Yes it is 108ish here in Vegas, but that is not very good quality of parts if they are going to do that. I have never had a car do this to me except cheap crap cars.
Old 06-24-08, 03:32 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been 10 days of straight >110 here in Phoenix. Does anything work right when it's that hot? I know I have some quirks in all my cars when my interior is 130' or hotter.
Old 06-24-08, 05:29 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

They designed these buttons poorly, then don't feel good when you push them, they feel cheap. I like the way the buttons in audis feel. They are very firm and smooth. They even have a smooth click to them once you engage them.
The lexus is just soft and doesn't have much feeling to it. It is not precise at all. Is it that big of a deal, not really, just one of those corners they cut they cut. Not much can compare to an audis interior though. These are a close second. If the IS could tighten up a few things then they would be damn near flawless.
Old 06-24-08, 05:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Never had the problem even in 112F Sacramento heat.

You really need to ditch the Lex and get an Audi. They're much better at everything.
Old 06-24-08, 05:49 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
They designed these buttons poorly, then don't feel good when you push them, they feel cheap. I like the way the buttons in audis feel. They are very firm and smooth. They even have a smooth click to them once you engage them.
The lexus is just soft and doesn't have much feeling to it. It is not precise at all. Is it that big of a deal, not really, just one of those corners they cut they cut. Not much can compare to an audis interior though. These are a close second. If the IS could tighten up a few things then they would be damn near flawless.

LOL you are wrong man!!!!! I live in the desert here in palm springs last weekend was 120, usually in the summer the average temp is around 117 and the buttons on the navi work PERFECT!!!!! check your car, maybe something wrong
with your car. but I can assure you my buttons dont feel cheap even on a 120 weather
Old 06-24-08, 06:06 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I laugh everytime I see a post here from people who don't know much more about cars then the name brand they bought start talking about design flaws.

Same here in sunny east Mesa, a couple of weeks of 100+ weather and no sticky buttons.

So sincity, leaning car with sticky buttons you must have gotten one of those cars that snuck through when the QC people were at lunch. I'm with lobux, you better dump that design flawed pile and get back in to those oh so exciting superior build quality Audis (did the sarcasm come through o.k.?).
Old 06-25-08, 07:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
I laugh everytime I see a post here from people who don't know much more about cars then the name brand they bought start talking about design flaws.

Same here in sunny east Mesa, a couple of weeks of 100+ weather and no sticky buttons.

So sincity, leaning car with sticky buttons you must have gotten one of those cars that snuck through when the QC people were at lunch. I'm with lobux, you better dump that design flawed pile and get back in to those oh so exciting superior build quality Audis (did the sarcasm come through o.k.?).
??? what Audi have you owned I came out of an 05.5 Audi S4 and the interior of that car was solid unlike my IS. I agree with sincityIS 100% here I drove my Audi hard for 40k+ miles in 18 mos and never once did it go to the shop other then for the "free" oil changes. Never once did I have any rattles like in my IS? I have had my IS for longer then the Audi and half the mileage and I have more issues with quality then most cars I have had. I just don't complain about them. Someone voices there opinion and you bash then for it The IS I am sorry has a lot of QC problems for a 47k+ car that I have. Its almost as good as the TL I drove in the past But I will be getting rid of mine soon so no worries here.
Old 06-25-08, 09:08 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

I know, thanks mike. A lot of people in here must have real esteem issues. They get all offended when you criticize something about a car they drive, lol. Hell I have the same car and I am just making a statement about a "Design Flaw". Don't shoot the messenger, use practical common sense. Which unfortunately, the people on here that use this are the minority.
I obviously bought the IS because there were feature about it I liked better than any other car in the price range, so yes I do like it. Don't get all offended and *****y if someone has a complaint, either aknowledge it or help them rectify it. What the hell is a forum for? I am not bashing anyone just bringing up a problem I am experiencing.

Anybody who gets offended because someone brings up a flaw with a car they drive, needs to get a life because they are losers. There are waaaaaaaaay bigger things to get your panties in a bunch about in life.

Last edited by sincityIS; 06-25-08 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 09:13 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL
IS NOT A "Design Flaw" when you are the only one ho has it!!!!!
Old 06-25-08, 09:19 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be picky, but it has not been QC for the past 20 years.. it is known as QA.
Old 06-25-08, 09:47 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
LOL
IS NOT A "Design Flaw" when you are the only one ho has it!!!!!
we don't know this...i personally don't post every little issue or problem I have with my car I cant speak for the rest but I have had problems with the a/c buttons not working and sometimes no lighting up I guess coming from the car sincityIS is comparing to I can have appreciation since I was just in that car myself.

IMO I drive an overpriced Acura TL....but I got it for a reason and it served it. now its time to move on
Old 06-25-08, 11:18 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
??? what Audi have you owned
2 X B5 (a4 and s4) and B6 S4, The B5 was a pile of crap, interior was o.k. lots of little issues. Water pump, timing belt, bigger turbo's euro headlights + front and rear bumpers, MONEY PIT, but it did look nice. Not a whole lot of complaints about the B6, but it just got old in a hurry, and the interior felt cheap. TT S-line, Slow but again it looked cool. Oh yeah, and a 90 quattro way back in the day (had that one for about 6 months was also a huge pile of crap). Not much of a fan of Audi anymore, but the R8 is attractive.

I want to reply with a smart A** comment to sincity and passnu2 but I refrain. What can you say to someone who seems to be a chronic complainer?
Old 06-25-08, 12:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I want to reply with a smart A** comment to sincity and passnu2 but I refrain. What can you say to someone who seems to be a chronic complainer?
...there is no reason or need for any kind of smart *** comment.

you have had issues with your Audi's that many I know have not. So just like sincityIS and his problems he has with his car for you to accuse him that they are not happening and that he is a complainer. Why would he post to see if others are having the issue also isn't this what we are all here for is to help each other out and be friendly? you are allowed your opinion. I know what I drive every day and how good it is.

Have you had any issues with your is that you would have not expected from a Lexus/Toyota?
Old 06-25-08, 12:52 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-25-08, 01:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

OK, so here's the problem - Giggity and I have both read sincity's posts. They are centered on "So everybody knows that this car leans" when in fact, mine does not, and the majority I've seen do not. Now, it's a "design flaw" when there are two people experiencing an issue? Design flaw? Others say "no, never had that problem, yes, my car has been in very hot weather, but definitely never had an issue with switch gear" (on any Toyota I've owned in the last 20 years and that's quite a few) but still it's a "design flaw" indicative of crap cars?

No, I don't buy it. Here's what I hear - Windows sucks. Why does windows suck? Well, I can't make a symlink. Oh, you mean you don't know how to make a shortcut. NO! I said I can't make a symlink and that's a big problem. Riiiggghhht. OK, I really think you need to go back to what you are familiar with because I doubt you're going to be happy with Windows. It isn't Linux or Unix, and it never will be.

So, your car leans. Measurably. This annoys you. But is Lexus aware this is a problem? Your switches don't behave in a consistent way across all normal temperatures. Is Lexus aware of this? What have they done to make it better?

It sounds a lot like complaining to me, not constructive criticism or anything remotely related to problem solving. So in all honesty, I think you'd be way happier with an Audi since it is your point of reference against which your Lexus's shortcomings are being measured.

Quick Reply: Buttons around NAV stick when car has been sitting in sun....