IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 04:33 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
unless you are getting the IS350 go with the TSX....
Thank you passnu for your feedback.. just wondering why wouldn't you recommend the IS250? Can you please give me some more info on this whenever you get the time..
Old 06-28-08, 04:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tsx_lex
Thank you passnu for your feedback.. just wondering why wouldn't you recommend the IS250? Can you please give me some more info on this whenever you get the time..
No Problem. IMO the TSX is one of Acura's best built cars. I just traded in my wifes TSX for the RDX this am because we have a little one due in less then 2 months

But having had both and being in the new TSX they are both great cars. I drove both the IS250 & IS350 when I got my car. The IS250 to me doesn't make sense unless you are getting the AWD. The only plus, preference, is the Lexus is RWD. But we are not talking about 2 performance cars here. I have had many leased Acura cars for work over the years and the quality of my IS is the same as what you get from Acura for a fraction of the cost. I have had the same sub issues and the same rattles in the IS as I did in all my TL's But I guess I expect too much maybe??

If you haven't go drive them both. I cant say I am sold on the new body style of the TSX but it drove nice and the inside is perfect the way its set up. If you are getting the navi Acura BLOWS Lexus away in this department.

seeing that you have had the TSX IMO you will really like the improvements they did to the inside of the car. They really did a great job with the lay out. If we didn't need a little extra room for my family I would have ended up with the new TSX for her. I would consider it for my daily driver and get a toy to have fun with
Old 06-28-08, 05:18 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a 2004 TSX in 04 when they first came out...had for 2 years I loved it, for the price it has everything you want, xmradio, HID lights,fog lights,and of course the standard leather and cd changer...im my personal opinion for the price it seems more logical to get the tsx because it comes with everything that a 250 nonnavi would come with, but I personally liked the way the IS looks overall compared to the TSX. SO i traded it in for a 2007 brand new IS...and then i eventually got a 2007 Acura TL...as well.
Old 06-28-08, 05:59 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

between the is250 and the tsx I would go with the TSX. Between the IS350 wand the TL S-type I would go with the IS350
Old 06-28-08, 11:59 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Thanks for the details passnu and congrats on your car and the new future family member!!

I might go with the TSX for now..but I'm sold on the looks of the IS250 as well...IS350 is the best deal in it's class, better than Acura TL (agreed).. I heard from the dealers that the IS300 (new car) is coming out next year with around 240 HP, so IS will now have 3 cars in it's lineup: IS250, IS300 and IS350.. Also heard that the new Lexus re-design will be out in 2011/2012..

Enjoy!
Old 06-29-08, 12:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd have to say the main difference would be the "class" the two cars exude. The IS is one level above the TSX. Keep in mind the TSX is really a jazzed up Honda Accord. Still, can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-29-08, 01:27 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Honestly, IMO the IS250 is not much different from a corolla, it's also jazzed up...ofcourse, it has that crooked L in the grill.. for those of you who think TSX is just an accord, haven't driven that car or don't know much about it.. It's based on the euro accord, but 'not' an accord...Also, the 1st Gen IS was based on the Toyota Altezza.. the IS300 was nothing more than a complete re-badged car in the US.. Inifiniti G37, which in my opinion will kill the IS250/350 and is a MUCH MUCH better car (exterior/interior is gorgeous), is also called Nissan Skyline in Japan... I'm almost sure some of the Lexus's in US are probably Toyota's in Japan.. If you're a true enthusiast, you'll go for the BMW IMO.. it is also interesting to see how Lexus owners have different views based on the type of forum they're in.. in the BMW forums they tend to boast about how reliable the Lexus is, how much they can get more for the money in the Lexus and the BMW costs like $10K grand more with the same options, but in their own forums, the other cars (like the TSX costs 5K less) have the same specs and probably drive better than the IS250 won't agree that it's pretty much in the same class... Based on Fizzboy, seems like everything is an alternative in the end: BMW is alternative to Ferrari, Lexus to BMW, Acura to Lexus and so on... Well, Acura.. Lexus.. BMW etc.. are all high-end brands and IMO, the TSX and IS250 are in the same class, infact the TSX wil eat the IS250 on the highway for lunch.. No offense, that's a fact!

I don't own either cars, but would like to get the facts right though..I like both of them a lot!

Last edited by tsx_lex; 06-29-08 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-29-08, 01:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Honestly, IMO the IS250 is not much different from a corolla, it's also jazzed up...ofcourse, it has that crooked L in the grill.. for those of you who think TSX is just an accord, haven't driven that car or don't know much about it.. It's based on the euro accord, but 'not' an accord...Also, the 1st Gen IS was based on the Toyota Altezza.. the IS300 was nothing more than a completed rebadged car in the US.. Inifiniti G37, which in my opinion will kill the IS250/350 and is a MUCH MUCH better car, is also called Nissan Skyline in Japan... I'm almost sure some of the Lexus's in US are probably Toyota's in Japan.. If you're a true enthusiast, you'll go for the BMW IMO.. it is also funny to see how Lexus owners have different views based on the type of forum they're in.. in the BMW forums they tend to boast about how reliable the Lexus is, how much they can get more for the money and the BMW costs like $10K grand more, but in their own forums, the other cars (like the TSX costs 5K less) have the same specs and probably drive better than the IS250 won't agree that it's pretty much the same class.. Acura.. Lexus.. BMW etc.. are all high-end brands.
The reason I say the above is because I feel Acura has lost some of its ranking over the years. When they first got started back in '87, they were the only shop in town. Then Lexus (and Infiniti) came around and one-upped them with the LS. I don't think things have been the same since. Acure lost it's footing when they turned the Legend into the RL, and they have yet to rise back up (still no V8). When people think "Acura" in 2008, it is not the same feeling as when people thought "Acura" eight years ago. I don't feel they are as prestigeous as they once were, as far as a brand name goes.
Old 06-29-08, 02:01 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

okay comming from me i have a 05 tsx and a 07 is250. TSX short simple and sweet is best bang for the buck. There are lots of mods you can do for it. Is250 is if you want the luxury. With the newer tsx its better then the old ones. I just think that the lexus is a more comfortable and quite ride. I love both cars but i just love my is250 more . But test it out for yourself to see which of both cars you like. Save that 5k and put it into mods or invest and save on somthing if you dont want the is250. But if you can get the is350
Old 06-29-08, 02:47 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
okay comming from me i have a 05 tsx and a 07 is250. TSX short simple and sweet is best bang for the buck. There are lots of mods you can do for it. Is250 is if you want the luxury. With the newer tsx its better then the old ones. I just think that the lexus is a more comfortable and quite ride. I love both cars but i just love my is250 more . But test it out for yourself to see which of both cars you like. Save that 5k and put it into mods or invest and save on somthing if you dont want the is250. But if you can get the is350
Thanks Drunkebuda...anyone concerned about the headroom in the IS250 or the back seats here? I think for a 36K+ car they should have taken care of this, especially if it's a 'luxury' car.....
Old 06-29-08, 04:11 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

yeah leg room is an issue in the is250 but hey all i need is the front seat for my and my GF and most of my family that i drive around are Azn and they fit no problem plus i have crammed oddles of people in my car before and they never complained plus you are never in the back seat anyways unless you have some company ;P and theres more then enough room for that
Old 06-29-08, 06:25 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Wow! IS not much different than a Corolla? Yet say TSX and Accord in the same sentence and you take offense??

Sorry, the difference for me was rear wheel drive. I've had four front wheel drive cars, and three of them were absolute junk. My car shopping criteria No.1 was REAR WHEEL DRIVE!! Sounds like you are really leaning towards the Acura. Have fun down the road a little ways with tire wear, CV joints, front brakes, struts, power steering components.......

Please list for me the front wheel drive sedans made by:

Lexus
BMW
Mercedes
Maserati
Jaguar

Hmmmmm.....
I wonder why that is?
Old 06-29-08, 07:01 AM
LexFather

Honestly, IMO the IS250 is not much different from a corolla, it's also jazzed up...ofcourse, it has that crooked L in the grill.. for those of you who think TSX is just an accord, haven't driven that car or don't know much about it.. It's based on the euro accord, but 'not' an accord...Also, the 1st Gen IS was based on the Toyota Altezza.. the IS300 was nothing more than a complete re-badged car in the US.. Inifiniti G37, which in my opinion will kill the IS250/350 and is a MUCH MUCH better car (exterior/interior is gorgeous), is also called Nissan Skyline in Japan... I'm almost sure some of the Lexus's in US are probably Toyota's in Japan.. If you're a true enthusiast, you'll go for the BMW IMO.. it is also interesting to see how Lexus owners have different views based on the type of forum they're in.. in the BMW forums they tend to boast about how reliable the Lexus is, how much they can get more for the money in the Lexus and the BMW costs like $10K grand more with the same options, but in their own forums, the other cars (like the TSX costs 5K less) have the same specs and probably drive better than the IS250 won't agree that it's pretty much in the same class... Based on Fizzboy, seems like everything is an alternative in the end: BMW is alternative to Ferrari, Lexus to BMW, Acura to Lexus and so on... Well, Acura.. Lexus.. BMW etc.. are all high-end brands and IMO, the TSX and IS250 are in the same class, infact the TSX wil eat the IS250 on the highway for lunch.. No offense, that's a fact!

I don't own either cars, but would like to get the facts right though..I like both of them a lot!
I think you need some help with facts.
1. The IS 250/350/IS-F has NOTHING in common with the Corolla. The Corolla is FWD/I-4 and based on a total different platfrom. The IS is based on a shortned GS platform. They have NOTHING in common.
2. The TSX IS an Euro Accord, its not BASED on the Accord. It is a Grill/badge swap. Not a body panel changes.

3. The Toyota Altezza in Japan and IS 200 in Europe were launched at the same time. It also was on its own platform. Europe had the IS 200 for ages and any Lexus version only offered a I-6 in the IS 200 or IS 300, never was a 4-cylinder offered. The Altezza kept the 4-cylinders.
4. The G37 is slower than the IS 350, it doesn't kill anything. Good car though.
5. TSX will not eat the IS for lunch on the highway.

I think you might take it slightly personal but there has NEVER been a review in ANY magazine where the TSX was reviewed against the 3 series or IS. That is why people know its a class below those cars. Acura does a great job with the TSX but it still lacks the BASICS, a 6 cylinder engine and a RWD platform. At least Audi offers that and AWD in the A4.

No one is saying the TSX is a bad car but its not in the same class. The TSX offers a well built interior, good list of standard features, good size, non offensive looks and a great shifting manual if you choose it. Clearly it was a huge hit for Acura.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-29-08 at 07:06 AM.

Old 06-29-08, 09:17 AM
Scottward
Driver

I think a couple of the above posters properly fixed your statement about the IS resembling a Corolla.

Now on your comment about a G37 destroying a IS350 in your opinion, well you are wrong based on facts. IS350s run the 1/4 mile in the 13.5 range bone stock and G37s run it around 13.9 or 14.0. The funny thing is, is that the G35 sedan is just as fast as the G37 at around 13.9-14.0 since it is lighter than the G37.

So basically the IS350 will destroy any G car 35 or 37 on the street and they are just about equals on a skid pad. Finally, the 350 gets better fuel mileage than the Gs.

Facts are generally better to go by than opinions.
Old 06-29-08, 03:06 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Cool

Everyone,

I respect all your cars, I'm not trying to start anything here.. I know IS250 is the GREATEST car in this category (if that makes you happy!).. But I also want to get the facts right, not on paper but on the road.. I have test driven both the cars, and even though the TSX is I4 and FWD, I get the same response on the road in terms of speed, the IS250 has a slight edge in handling, with better balance but it's not that much of a different though.. IMO both are awesome cars, whether it be a honda/acura badge or the Lexus...

Enjoy

Quick Reply: Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008