IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 02:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Discontinued Acura CL was built alongside the TL in Ohio.
Acura RDX is built in Ohio alongside the CR-V
Acura TL is built in Ohio. They did export them to China but its one of the 10 worst selling cars there.

Euro Accord/TSX is very well built, in Japan I believe. RL is very well built too and from Japan.
Yea I knew the CL/TL went down the same lines in OH but the CL is a goner as we all know. The TL's quality shows it IMO. I was unaware that the RDX came from OH I will have to do some digging on this. Just got one over the weekend for my wife so I need to look at the window sticker.

thanks for the info
Old 06-30-08, 03:55 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
you could by a fully loaded US Accord and be "pretty close" to a TSX--except that they are different cars. Just because the both have FWD, leather, sunroof, etc, doesn't make them the same. The US Accord is at least a foot longer than the TSX--and has a different engine. The US Accord and the Euro Accord are not the same.
TSX: 2.4L, 200hp Accord: 2.4L, 190hp

TSX: AT-3486# Accord: AT-3433#

TSX: WB 106.6" Accord: WB 110.2"

TSX: OAL 186.2" Accord: OAL 194.1"

Oh - you are so right! the wheelbase on the Accord is 3.6" longer and the overall length is 7.9" longer!!
That's AT LEAST A FOOT, right? And the hp/weight ratio is SOOOOOO incredibly different!! - Like 17.5 to 18!!!!
My BAD, I shopped and compared these cars and they seemed almost identical to me! Guess I should have paid more attention.......

Old 06-30-08, 04:02 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need some help with facts.
1. The IS 250/350/IS-F has NOTHING in common with the Corolla. The Corolla is FWD/I-4 and based on a total different platfrom. The IS is based on a shortned GS platform. They have NOTHING in common.
2. The TSX IS an Euro Accord, its not BASED on the Accord. It is a Grill/badge swap. Not a body panel changes.

3. The Toyota Altezza in Japan and IS 200 in Europe were launched at the same time. It also was on its own platform. Europe had the IS 200 for ages and any Lexus version only offered a I-6 in the IS 200 or IS 300, never was a 4-cylinder offered. The Altezza kept the 4-cylinders.
4. The G37 is slower than the IS 350, it doesn't kill anything. Good car though.
5. TSX will not eat the IS for lunch on the highway.

I think you might take it slightly personal but there has NEVER been a review in ANY magazine where the TSX was reviewed against the 3 series or IS. That is why people know its a class below those cars. Acura does a great job with the TSX but it still lacks the BASICS, a 6 cylinder engine and a RWD platform. At least Audi offers that and AWD in the A4.

No one is saying the TSX is a bad car but its not in the same class. The TSX offers a well built interior, good list of standard features, good size, non offensive looks and a great shifting manual if you choose it. Clearly it was a huge hit for Acura.
Thank God for this post!!! I was about to cover some of these items.
Old 06-30-08, 06:10 PM
Zender
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
well we all do drive a TOYOTA no matter how you look at it Yes they run the L badge now all over but its still a "Toyota"....So what did you think of Lexus before they made this "marketing" move to run with the name overseas??

You should pick up a used "HONDA" NSX I owned one and NO car has compared to the HONDA I drove!

If you are going to buy a Lexus for the L logo and what people think about you The IS is just as common of an everyday car as the Acura TL.

Both companies build solid products.....but the IS is not superior to an Acura IMO...
Like I said, I have always owned a Honda. Great cars no doubt. The issue that I have with Acura is the brand. Sorry the Lexus BRAND is superior to the Acura brand even if the products are similar.

In image:
Honda = Toyota
Lexus > Acura

Therefore my opinion is Honda screwed up their 'luxury' platform for exactly the reason I stated above. People that say they are not buying a lexus for the badge are wrong. No matter what, that brand image costs money. That cost is built into the cost of a Lexus. So to say you aren't paying for the badge image is complete crap because every Lexus sold is paying to maintain that image that Toyota built. Acura tried to do the same but I will leave that up to your own opinions whether or not you think they were as successful as Toyota.

I would agree with you on the NSX... awesome car hands down.

Last edited by Zender; 06-30-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 08:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zender
Like I said, I have always owned a Honda. Great cars no doubt. The issue that I have with Acura is the brand. Sorry the Lexus BRAND is superior to the Acura brand even if the products are similar.

In image:
Honda = Toyota
Lexus > Acura

Therefore my opinion is Honda screwed up their 'luxury' platform for exactly the reason I stated above. People that say they are not buying a lexus for the badge are wrong. No matter what, that brand image costs money. That cost is built into the cost of a Lexus. So to say you aren't paying for the badge image is complete crap because every Lexus sold is paying to maintain that image that Toyota built. Acura tried to do the same but I will leave that up to your own opinions whether or not you think they were as successful as Toyota.

I would agree with you on the NSX... awesome car hands down.
Acura lost this when they killed the Legend years back....I still think that Acura can turn this but they do have work ahead of them. They make a good quality car (so long its not built in the states here). I do think that the quality and technology they have in a few cars are up to compete with Lexus/Toyota and a few others cars. If they did some out side of the box on the style of the RL they could have had a great contender on the street.

If my IS was a Acura I would be driving it. I like the overall look of the car and what it had to offer me at the time I got it. I will not buy an American car ever again!

I do fell that Lexus is a great car. I just don't think the IS is superior to the Acura line up. I own one so don't get me wrong its a nice car buts it doesn't wow me anymore then the Acura did. I guess if my car had less options and a lower price sticker maybe I would think differently? I just dont see that much "difference" in my 47k car compared to a 35k TL. I have the same rattles that the TL does, The sound system is great in both cars, the NAVI is better in the Acura, I like the body style of the IS better then the TL, and its RWD vs FWD and that wins hands down IMO. Now to compare the GS and above to an Acura there is no comparo, IMO, what so ever. The RL had its chance and I will leave it at that...
Old 07-01-08, 10:19 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

I agree with all of you here that Lexus as a brand is 100 times better than Acura, when marketing and refining their cars. However, I disagree that the IS250 is THAT different from a TSX. Sure, on paper it has a V6 and RWD, but is it THAT much better than the TSX that it's worth the 6K. The only major difference is the body style and I don't think any car can beat the IS in looks, including BMW (maybe G37). On the other hand, the IS350 is a great car! Offers the great price for a powerful V6. Heck, I can afford the BMW 5 series but I don't want to get ripped-off in the end.. I'm looking for a combination of good car and deal at the same time.. And if I were to choose between the IS250/TSX, I'd go with the TSX.. and IS350 over a BMW.

For all toyota boy fans here, if you think the IS is based on GS, then the GS is based on Toyota Crown/Camry.. So in the end indirectly the IS is nothing more than a fancy Toyota, even the dashboard feels like it : IS->GS->Camry/Crown.

It's funny how these luxo badge companies screw with everyone's mind so much with this entry-level luxury stuff.. the IS is nothing more than a daily commuter (agree with passnu on that). Where I live, I see hundreds of 250's, and mostly chics driving them.

I have nothing against the IS and infact I'm planning on purchasing one myself in the next few weeks. Looking into IS350 with premium pkg/navigation/ML..
Old 07-01-08, 11:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I think you cant go wrong with either car. Both are going to be reliable for the most part. NO car is perfect in this price range, again my opinion...

The TSX has replaced the TL IMO this is why I feel this is a contender against the IS. If the TSX was offered the V6 from the base model TL then that would be a contender with the IS350 all day long. You either get Navi "or" no Navi and this was a good way for Acura to keep the cost done rather then have all these options like my car did. most of them are useless but its nearly impossible to get a 350 in my area with out special order and I dont wait for nothing

Good Luck on your decision! Post us back and let us know what you end up doing please. I am curious...
Old 07-01-08, 11:31 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsx_lex
For all toyota boy fans here, if you think the IS is based on GS, then the GS is based on Toyota ....Camry.. So in the end indirectly the IS is nothing more than a fancy Toyota, even the dashboard feels like it : IS->GS->Camry
I've had two Toyota trucks and I love them. One of them saved my life, literally. They hold their blue book value quite well. The fact that Lexus is a Toyota company is a big plus for me.
That said, if I wanted a Camry, I would have gotten a Camry. Actually, I would have probably gotten an Avalon. I did not care for the Accord, or any of the Acuras.
What it came down to for me, was did I want a front wheel drive fleet car, or did I want a car where the engine pointed in the right direction? Was my next vehicle engineered to be mass produced more efficiently or was it engineered to be a good car? Entry level nothing, to me there is a huge difference between Camry and IS 250. I get all the plusses of Lexus and do not have to sacrifice mpg. Yup, it's a commuter car, it's Mom's taxi service. My kids are old enough now (teens) where we don't have to have a Tupperware interior vehicle to accomplish this task, so we got something nice instead.
Old 07-01-08, 03:41 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

I agree with all of you here that Lexus as a brand is 100 times better than Acura, when marketing and refining their cars. However, I disagree that the IS250 is THAT different from a TSX. Sure, on paper it has a V6 and RWD, but is it THAT much better than the TSX that it's worth the 6K. The only major difference is the body style and I don't think any car can beat the IS in looks, including BMW (maybe G37). On the other hand, the IS350 is a great car! Offers the great price for a powerful V6. Heck, I can afford the BMW 5 series but I don't want to get ripped-off in the end.. I'm looking for a combination of good car and deal at the same time.. And if I were to choose between the IS250/TSX, I'd go with the TSX.. and IS350 over a BMW.

For all toyota boy fans here, if you think the IS is based on GS, then the GS is based on Toyota Crown/Camry.. So in the end indirectly the IS is nothing more than a fancy Toyota, even the dashboard feels like it : IS->GS->Camry/Crown.

It's funny how these luxo badge companies screw with everyone's mind so much with this entry-level luxury stuff.. the IS is nothing more than a daily commuter (agree with passnu on that). Where I live, I see hundreds of 250's, and mostly chics driving them.

I have nothing against the IS and infact I'm planning on purchasing one myself in the next few weeks. Looking into IS350 with premium pkg/navigation/ML..
Understand no one has said the TSX is a bad car. It is a good car. You miss my complete post where in NOT ONE REVIEW the TSX has been compared directly to the IS. In reviews it has been compared with the Jetta, Legacy, Accord (USDM), Saab 9-3. That is b/c the TSX offers a great VALUE package and like Acura for the most part, a niche product and not a direct competitor. The Euro Accord has been very well liked in Europe in Euro reviews, especially the diesel.

I am not going to argue with you on if you think the TSX is better than the IS, you are entitled to your opinion. However the 2 cars are not closely related at all as the two basic requirements are totally different, even if hp is nearly identical.

Kiddo, the GS is not based on the Camry and in the past it did NOT share its platform with the Crown. The previous IS and GS had its own platform (very costly). We believe this new model does share its platform with the Crown. We do know the IS is based off the GS. The Camry platform is used for the ES/RX, not IS/GS.

The Crown is a RWD, V-8 luxurious vehicle that like the GT-R, is a Legend in Japan for 30 years. The latest Crown is actually compared with the Nissan Fuga and Lexus GS and 5 series etc b/c it is that good.

Please read what I say as education and not any sort of tongue lashing. I do ask you refrain from using "boy fan" or "fan boy" as that might incite flames.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-08, 01:44 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Understand no one has said the TSX is a bad car. It is a good car. You miss my complete post where in NOT ONE REVIEW the TSX has been compared directly to the IS. In reviews it has been compared with the Jetta, Legacy, Accord (USDM), Saab 9-3. That is b/c the TSX offers a great VALUE package and like Acura for the most part, a niche product and not a direct competitor. The Euro Accord has been very well liked in Europe in Euro reviews, especially the diesel.

I am not going to argue with you on if you think the TSX is better than the IS, you are entitled to your opinion. However the 2 cars are not closely related at all as the two basic requirements are totally different, even if hp is nearly identical.

Kiddo, the GS is not based on the Camry and in the past it did NOT share its platform with the Crown. The previous IS and GS had its own platform (very costly). We believe this new model does share its platform with the Crown. We do know the IS is based off the GS. The Camry platform is used for the ES/RX, not IS/GS.

The Crown is a RWD, V-8 luxurious vehicle that like the GT-R, is a Legend in Japan for 30 years. The latest Crown is actually compared with the Nissan Fuga and Lexus GS and 5 series etc b/c it is that good.

Please read what I say as education and not any sort of tongue lashing. I do ask you refrain from using "boy fan" or "fan boy" as that might incite flames.

Thank you.
There are reviews:
http://www.newcars.com/acura/tsx/rev...xus-is250.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dvOajNLkV1M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dsAGieXuf78

Like I said before, and will say it again that IMO TSX > IS250 in terms of performance/price since I think IS250 is a rip-off.. Well, IS350, now that's an excellent car and is the 'real' BMW competitor.. !

Last edited by tsx_lex; 07-02-08 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 01:51 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*cough* i'm a fanboy and i see it as a compliment due to Lexus being a car worthy of my fanboyism weather 'fanboy' is seen as a negative or a positive is a matter of perspective
Old 07-02-08, 02:18 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

There are reviews:
http://www.newcars.com/acura/tsx/rev...xus-is250.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dvOajNLkV1M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dsAGieXuf78

Like I said before, and will say it again that IMO TSX > IS250 in terms of performance/price since I think IS250 is a rip-off.. Well, IS350, now that's an excellent car and is the 'real' BMW competitor.. !
Of your 3 "reviews" none of them are a direct comparison of actually DRIVING the two cars. The only one that even pits the IS250 and TSX against each other only seems to do it on paper using phrasing such as "most likely." Your opinion is your own but don't use 3 very dodgy reviews to back up your notion that TSX > IS250. Besides, I don't think anyone buying a 250 is serious about performance.

For me, it was about the best compromise possible. The TSX pleased my logical left brain but left my right brain high and dry. The switchgear, materials used, even the navi graphics just seemed dated. The IS250 did most of the left brain stuff (not too pricey, sporty, good fuel economy, high resale) AND had the details and proper aesthetics (leather so soft, real wood vs. plastic, pushbutton start) to keep my right brain interested and feeling good about the purchase.
Old 07-02-08, 02:25 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by meefer
Of your 3 "reviews" none of them are a direct comparison of actually DRIVING the two cars. The only one that even pits the IS250 and TSX against each other only seems to do it on paper using phrasing such as "most likely." Your opinion is your own but don't use 3 very dodgy reviews to back up your notion that TSX > IS250. Besides, I don't think anyone buying a 250 is serious about performance.

For me, it was about the best compromise possible. The TSX pleased my logical left brain but left my right brain high and dry. The switchgear, materials used, even the navi graphics just seemed dated. The IS250 did most of the left brain stuff (not too pricey, sporty, good fuel economy, high resale) AND had the details and proper aesthetics (leather so soft, real wood vs. plastic, pushbutton start) to keep my right brain interested and feeling good about the purchase.
Whatever makes you happy man... IMO you got ripped off.. you can back up with all the logic, but it's a fact.. About the NAVI, we all know that Acura is better, who cares about graphics when you can't even use the NAVI in IS250/350 while driving and you're not gonna play Halo2 on it anyway, plus you don't look at the NAVI screen while driving, it's the voice guidance and how much easy it is to use is more important.. you're ignoring the important/practical facts here and trying to cover up with your L badge talk.. IMO, no offense to any IS250 owner though.. I'm just talking facts here.

I'm on the verge of purchasing the IS350, got a quote today for $40,200 OTD with Premium, Navi, ML.. I wanna bring it down even more, any suggestions? Ofcourse, this is the first quote and will trying to talk to other dealers around here. Thanks for all your inputs, especially passnu!

Last edited by tsx_lex; 07-02-08 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 02:56 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tsx_lex, i find your posts freaking hilarious, you bash the 250 and yet your considering a 350, considering their the exact same cars EXCEPT for 100 more hp... amazing what a difference 100hp makes
Old 07-02-08, 03:21 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
tsx_lex, i find your posts freaking hilarious, you bash the 250 and yet your considering a 350, considering their the exact same cars EXCEPT for 100 more hp... amazing what a difference 100hp makes
Not bashing the IS250, just talking facts dude...After I test-drove the IS350, within seconds I realized that this IS THE car that all the magazines talk about when they compare to the BMW and IMO worth performance/price.. It's only 3-4K more than the IS250, but the fun-factor is like 100x IMO.. don't know what you guys think..

Quick Reply: Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008