jp350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulations on your purchase!
Old 06-29-08, 09:30 AM
Scottward
Driver

The IS350 and 335i quarter mile times are about the same, both right around 13.5 and they feel about the same coming from someone who has owned both. Some reviewers got ringer 335i's with the boost mysteriously cranked up slightly for late '06 and 2007 reviews. Funny thing is all the current 335i's run slightly slower since BMW changed the ECU programming to be slightly more conservative. Maybe this minimizes their chronic fuel pump problems which seem to go out around every 10 to 15K miles and can leave you stranded on the highway. BMW's latest ECU software is also better at detecting the piggy backs, so yeah you can dial up the boost for easy power, but your warranty is more likely to be voided now more than ever. Not a very comfortable feeling with the fuel pumps failing so frequently. The handling felt a little better on the 335, but the IS350's order of magnitudes better interior more than make up for the BMW slight handling advantage.
Old 06-29-08, 11:38 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is indeed a great car. To me though, "Fullly" loaded means PCS, Headlight washers, Park assist, ML, etc. In any event, congrats on your purchase of a nice performing, well constructed automobile.
Old 06-29-08, 11:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The argument over which one is faster drags on. Both have been out for a while and both have been tested to no end. Some editors get better times with the IS and others, better times with the 335. However, of the dozens and dozens of tests done by professionals, the IS consistently puts down better times than the 335. Not always, but the IS does have the edge.

Also, be careful what you say when you say *fully* loaded. It appears that all your car has is NAV and Premium package. You don't have Luxury or Sport package, Mark Levinson sound system, headlight cleaners, pre-crash system, or Parking sensors. You're still missing about $8,000 in factory options.

BTW, I love your Starfire Pearl. Congrats on your new whip.
Old 06-29-08, 12:45 PM
s-one
Driver School Candidate

Very nice car dude!
Old 06-29-08, 01:31 PM
insider
Pole Position

The 335 has consistently been the faster car, don't know how one could argue otherwise. Car and Driver got 106mph in the 1/4 mile, A time the lexus has never matched http://uk.askmen.com/cars/car_review...ar_review.html However, the cars need to be driven on the same track, by the same driver, during the same weather conditions to see which is the fastest. This is called controled testing, we can see those results here http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 and we can see the BMW has the noticablly faster acceleration. Cheers
Old 06-29-08, 01:48 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by insider
The 335 has consistently been the faster car, don't know how one could argue otherwise. Car and Driver got 106mph in the 1/4 mile, A time the lexus has never matched http://uk.askmen.com/cars/car_review...ar_review.html However, the cars need to be driven on the same track, by the same driver, during the same weather conditions to see which is the fastest. This is called controled testing, we can see those results here http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 and we can see the BMW has the noticablly faster acceleration. Cheers
See my above post #38 mate. Both the bloody cars are around 13.5 second cars and most reviews have the IS350 being much faster than the Edmunds review. Maybe some bloke stuck 87 octane in it, who knows. The new 335i's are now also slightly detuned by BMW with their new PROGMAN updates so all '08s are actually slower and if you get your '07 serviced they will give you the updated/slower PROGMAN. They are having numerous problems with fuel pumps failing and some engine overheating episodes, so supposedly this reduces the problems, but also lowers performance. Visit any of the 335i BMW forums if you would like further information on this topic. Again bottom line is both cars are around 13.5 second cars stock and the Lexus comes with the advantage of not stranding you on a highway with a failed fuel pump.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-08, 02:36 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Speedwise I would say that with a IS350 yeah it'll be faster from a dig..maybe.. mostly due to the great gearing we have but also due to the lower torque which helps with wheel spin. From a roll however I would say the 335 definately has an edge because with the turbos the power is always there and so they can easily get the most out of the car even if in the wrong gear or the driver is caught off guard. Even if the IS is just as powerful as 335 the power isn't always there for you all the time as with the 335's turbo's. Having said that though I'd much rather have the IS due to the reliability and better interior and the power is close enough. It's all about your priorities in your car purchase.
Old 06-29-08, 03:08 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=juice14;3638941]So, after debating for months on which car to get, I went with the 2008 LExus IS350 white pearl with black interior....and I love it....
all i can say about the car is positive. to begin with its a lexus = reliability.... it looks great, it can be moded (unlike some cars in this class or price range)
My other option was the BMW 335i...and I know its faster and "more fun"... however I have researched for months and asked around, became member of forums all over and found that the car is not reliable as i'd like it to be... so its "not so fun" when the car needs to be fixed all the time.
So in the end I went for the lexus IS350 brand new...I thought it was better getting a fully loaded IS for $5,000 less than a (completly stock with only leather) 335i. Plus the 335i sedan looks like SEEHT. (coupe looks awesome).

I have to say I am impressed, the car runs lower 5's from 0-60, with some mods in a good day the car can definitely run upper 4's (all i need for right now in my life) the ergonimics are AWESOME, the car feels tight while being comfortable...the finish of the interior with navigation its amazing... heated, ventilated cooled seats, rear view camera, 18inch wheels with potenza's, 13 speaker sound, rear wing spoiler, wood trim interior (classy).....
Handling is very precise, not as much as the 335i, but I have never gone to a track and I dont plan on goning anytime soon. So the only thing the 335i has (to me) over the IS is that it handles better and its a tad faster (this is stock 335i, with any mods this car is crazy fast)....

You cant really compare these in performance, because the 335i is designed on the track and the IS is designed to be a fast luxury sports sedan...
but from a value, business stand point, I believe the IS is a better buy. its more reliable and you get more for less money... For the options that i have on the IS I would have had to pay 50 grand for the 335i, when I only paid 38,500 for my Fully loaded IS350.Thanks to all the info on this forum I already know what are my first mods plan on installing a Tanabe axleback exhaust with a MEgan racing mid-pipe, and Intake...this should bring me close to low 13's on the 1/4 mile....

Nice ride and congrats. I think someone questioned it a few threads back...but 38,500 fully loaded is way too low.
Old 06-29-08, 04:03 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA..OK OK. The point that I was trying to make was:
It is better to me getting a IS350 with NAV, BLAH and the options (for 5K less) than a 335i with no options.I they did go 5K lower than MSRP...they couldnt find the car that i wanted, and when they found it it was only 100 miles away from me...So i told them I would go get it at ATL instead and they said: "We will match the price, go get the car...and more" so Accordingo to some members and other lexus dealers this was a pretty good deal (consider that the white on black is hard to find apparently)

I have to say I am at around 300 miles on my car and today was the first time that I did WOT...It feels really smooth, the short gears transmition is awasome. from 0-20 it jumps.... the NAv is very good and easy to use. There is NO road noise whatsoever....I mean the list goes on and on.
Old 06-30-08, 07:03 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowCat
And yup, Edmunds is biased. There are people who favor one car over other and will try to do what it takes to make one look better than others. This is common.

This is why drag strip racing with stock vehicles are better to use for reference. All drag strip videos I have seen the IS350 spanks the 335i, on EVERY video. I could not find one single video that a 335i beating the IS350. I've been trying looking for it for two months now but was not successful. It is very difficult... Also all IS350 owners I have talked to have either match or beat the 335i in the street. The 335i will have the edge at triple digit speeds above 125 mph but where in hell do you have room to go that fast anyway. That's a reckless driving. So the IS350 wins in almost every aspect.

If somebody begged me to take a 335i for free, I would take it. Then I go turn around and sell it. Make some money off of it. And keep my IS350. Now here comes the thumbs up.
335- 0-60 5.3 (the slowest ever recorded) http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2624b.shtml

IS 350 0-60 5.6 http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2506b.shtml

Just another of many examples showing the BMW as faster. I rest my case.
Old 06-30-08, 07:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
So, after debating for months on which car to get, I went with the 2008 LExus IS350 white pearl with black interior....and I love it....
Congrats for the new IS350 and welcome
Old 06-30-08, 07:42 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

Congrats on the ride man! Glad to hear your going the same route with the tanabe and megan mids . I'm the exact same, I test drove a stick 335i coupe, and a automatic 335i sedan.. and in the end it just left me wanting more. Both great cars, i just wish that bmw would make a nice interior and work on their reliability then they will have the perfect car. But i have a feeling that the next gen IS will be just that
Old 06-30-08, 08:04 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with all whats said and done, congrats on your purchase!!!
Old 06-30-08, 08:18 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Lexus vs. BMW....blah, blah, blah. Who cares? The IS is an amazing car! Congrats. Welcome to CL.

Quick Reply: Got my new IS350.....LOVE IT!!!