IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 pulls to the right...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 09:17 AM
ds111htown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem. I have taken it in twice already. I have just given up. I should try one more time and see what will they do for me.
Old 07-03-08, 10:33 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im running on the stock summer turanza tires still...
Old 07-03-08, 12:09 PM
ISWillie
Rookie

Originally Posted by XprincoX
no its not the road and definitely the car. At least i don't think my eyes are crazy and im definitely not drunk..... yet. LOL
Ahhh... THERE'S your problem. Here's the solution. Have any or all of the following, (your choice):
1. 1 - 12oz barley pop
2. 1 - two fingered shot of tequila, bourbon, gin, etc.
3. Drive the car.

If the drift still occurs, repeat the above steps, in the correct order.

(Opinions expressed on this post are those of the relevant contributor/s. Any resulting tickets, accidents, jail time are the sole responsibility of the offending party.)
Old 07-03-08, 06:58 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
just get it aligned when you throw on the rims and then do it again about a month after you lower the car.

there sure does seem to be a lot of TSIB for our car being a Lexus???
That TSB is a standard TSB Lexus issues for all models every year to diagnose any alignment issues that may crop up. It is not a specific IS350 TSB.

As for the OPs problem, if the alignment did not cure the pull, then you probably have what's known as a radial tire pull which is a defect in one or both of the front tires. Since the 18" staggered tires can not be rotated, the dealer needs to replace both your fronts with new ones. If they refuse call Lexus customer service and you should be taken care of.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-08, 11:40 PM
Dogmeat
Driver

i have the same problem. minor but it bothers me. our warranty covers this up to 12 months right?
Old 06-12-09, 06:46 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Are you on the stock tires? I know a lot of the Dunlop tires (I think there were some cases with the Bridgestones but not as much) that came stock with the car had issues just like you. Longo Lexus replaced my Ball Bearings for my first complaint. The second complaint they said that my tire pressure was too low (I doubt it because it was off by at most 3 psi on ALL tires). The third time they did an alignment and told me that my car was within spec and that the pulling was normal on "sports" cars. I finally called Lexus and they got Longo to have a technician go on a test drive with me on the freeway. When we got on the freeway, the tech let go of the steering wheel and my car would change about 2-3 lanes BY ITSELF within a short amount of time. The tech agreed that this wasn't normal and their system showed that I had already tried every type of "correction" in the past so they just gave me the newer Bridgestone tires. That solved the problem and I got new tires! I had about 11,000 miles on the tires but their systems had logs of me complaining very early on.
Exact same thing they did with my IS350, now I'm having the same problem in my IS-F so I'm gonna ask them about this:

http://www.lexustsb.com/getattachmen...A4LnBkZg%3D%3D
Old 08-04-11, 09:21 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I'm dealing with this issue now on my 2008 IS 350 - the car is pulling to the left hard and it's really getting on my nerves. I don't know what to blame and I'm also trying in my head to figure out when it really started.

There's also some strong vibration action going on too but today I figured out the problem there. The question now is if the Pull to the Left and the Vibration issue stem from the same problem or if they are different. I cover everything below so please read on. (Kind of a long post but I'm trying to be thorough).

Three events of note have occurred in past few months:

Late February (approx 2 years after ownership)- Alignment done - My second one, the first was done w/in 12k miles from the Lexus Dealership for free. This one was done at Integrity Auto Sports, a place that mainly deals with Subaru WRX, STi, etc. But I've heard it mentioned here.

Mid March - Sway Bars installed

Early May - New Tires Hankook V12 installed (Alignment and Sway bars installed while blizzak winter tires were on).

For sure I know that after the new tires were installed is I was aware of the problem. However it's blurry in my head if the pull started being noticed before the new tires were put on, the alignment was done, the sway bar was installed, etc.

So responding to some of the thoughts here:

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I had the same problem and after I got my alignment done at the dealership it still kept pulling to the right so I went back and asked for the before and after specs on my toe so when I asked that my SA went ahead and re-did the alignment again. :-)
Early June I took the car back to IAG and they tightened something w/ the sway bar that was making a clanking noise on and off driveways. They also looked at the alignment again and said the left toe was out of spec (prob due to hitting a pothole) and brought it back. However, I know at least later in the day the car was pulling hard to the left the same way. Whether it was pulling hard to the left RIGHT after the alignment I don't recall, but I'd like to assume yes (meaning the issue isn't the alignment).

Are you on the stock tires? I know a lot of the Dunlop tires (I think there were some cases with the Bridgestones but not as much) that came stock with the car had issues just like you. Longo Lexus replaced my Ball Bearings for my first complaint. The second complaint they said that my tire pressure was too low (I doubt it because it was off by at most 3 psi on ALL tires). The third time they did an alignment and told me that my car was within spec and that the pulling was normal on "sports" cars. I finally called Lexus and they got Longo to have a technician go on a test drive with me on the freeway. When we got on the freeway, the tech let go of the steering wheel and my car would change about 2-3 lanes BY ITSELF within a short amount of time. The tech agreed that this wasn't normal and their system showed that I had already tried every type of "correction" in the past so they just gave me the newer Bridgestone tires. That solved the problem and I got new tires! I had about 11,000 miles on the tires but their systems had logs of me complaining very early on.
This is what makes me think the Tires are the issue. Today I confirmed that both of my new Hankook V12 rear tires were defective (It took me almost 3 months/5k miles to figure this out. Details here if anyone's interested: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ml#post6584617 ). Also, that my front right rim was bent badly in 3 places (the tire may be ok on that, I have to have the rim figured out first). So that's the starting point of trying to figure out what's going on. I'm bummed that it's already August/3 months into my summer tires and I've had a crappy ride this whole time. This is the time you get your money's worth with this car if you live in areas w/ a colder winter.

Originally Posted by ds111htown
I have had the same problem. I have taken it in twice already. I have just given up. I should try one more time and see what will they do for me.
This is where I keep finding myself at whenever I drive the car and then I remember what I'm paying for it.

Originally Posted by ES3
Exact same thing they did with my IS350, now I'm having the same problem in my IS-F so I'm gonna ask them about this:

http://www.lexustsb.com/getattachmen...A4LnBkZg%3D%3D
Since this car was a) bought in Jan '09 and b) not really showing signs of this until this year, I'm guessing the TSB wouldn't apply to me.

Originally Posted by Scottward
....As for the OPs problem, if the alignment did not cure the pull, then you probably have what's known as a radial tire pull which is a defect in one or both of the front tires. Since the 18" staggered tires can not be rotated, the dealer needs to replace both your fronts with new ones...
Once I got the Rim replaced, if the front rear balanced correctly, would there still be radial pull? Or is that issue independent of balancing. I wonder if one option is to swap the tires on the front wheels. The problem though is that the better place I found today for mounting costs $45 a wheel so it's an expensive trial and error experiment.

One last thing, I Found this other thread where the same issue is discussed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ing-weird.html

There's some other things mentioned to check in there.

Ultimately, I want to go somewhere where a tech is really familiar with my car, whether a Lexus dealer or somewhere else, who's willing to do exactly what RshaoKh's had done and go on the freeway and feel it in action on high speeds. Then he could work with me on trying to figure out the problem. It'd probably be good if I had gotten tires from him since he'd be trying to put them on.

I think the closest non-dealer place where I might be able to achieve this is PTuning in Northern Virginia.
Old 08-04-11, 10:46 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the whole "pulling to the right" issue on my IS350 too - just brushed it off as a simple alignment issue but after reading this thread I know to take it more seriously. Def a good read.
Old 08-05-11, 01:24 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just seems like it's not quite aligned properly. If you bring it to a alignment shop that knows what they are doing, they can also correct the geometry of the car besides the typical stuff done in an alignment which can fine tune and correct the issue.
Old 08-05-11, 02:17 AM
coverchian
Driver School Candidate

I had similar problems. After wheels aligned and tires balanced, nothing changed. The dealer blamed the mismatch between front and rear tires (for the sport version). Later a simple rotation of two front tires fixed or minimized the problems. You may want to try it (rotating two front tires).
Old 08-05-11, 12:15 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sango
Just seems like it's not quite aligned properly. If you bring it to a alignment shop that knows what they are doing, they can also correct the geometry of the car besides the typical stuff done in an alignment which can fine tune and correct the issue.
I put my alignment specs in the steering wheel doesn't return to center position? thread and you responded there. However, it seems that I'm within the ranges. I'm pretty sure this isn't an alignment issue.

Originally Posted by coverchian
I had similar problems. After wheels aligned and tires balanced, nothing changed. The dealer blamed the mismatch between front and rear tires (for the sport version). Later a simple rotation of two front tires fixed or minimized the problems. You may want to try it (rotating two front tires).
I think that's my next step. Just sucks because it will be money out of my pocket @ $45 a tire. Hankook responded to me and is talking to the shop that did the analysis yesterday. Maybe I can get this issue put on too if Hankook replaces the tires and pays for the mounting.

That steering wheel doesn't return to center position? thread was started by someone who had put on Hankook tires too. Assuming his problem is related to the pull problem discussed here, there could be something here.
Old 08-05-11, 01:02 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same issue but it resolved itself when I got new tired and the wheel balance. No alignment.
Old 08-05-11, 01:19 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tech agreed that this wasn't normal and their system showed that I had already tried every type of "correction" in the past so they just gave me the newer Bridgestone tires. That solved the problem and I got new tires! I had about 11,000 miles on the tires but their systems had logs of me complaining very early on.
Jw what kind of Bridgestones did they give you?
Old 08-05-11, 01:34 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

i noticed my car pulls to the right the second i started moding the suspension of my car.. maybe the car is not leveled when i am adjusting the heights with my coilover.. i have gotten multiple alignments and still pulls to the right. ii actually read somewhere that if the car does not cross to another lane within 4 seconds, your car is actually properly aligned.. but i just think it is total bull shiet.
Old 08-05-11, 03:28 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ would sway bars possibly cause the pull?

Quick Reply: IS350 pulls to the right...