IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NEW car, found out had problem but voided warranty at the same time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 10:39 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW car, found out had problem but voided warranty at the same time...

...so i was having my Eibach pro kits installed today.

3 wheels done, no problem. Then the shop called me to let me know after they took off the 4th wheel, they saw that the strut was leaking fluid.

The car is an 08 is250 3100 miles. bought in March.

I called lexus, they said to bring it in... with the oem springs. (eibachs void suspension warranty, which is bull because the problem was there before but only discovered during the installation)

The shop said, i'd have to eat the installation labor if i were to have the other 3 put back to oem. also, i coudn't just drive to the stealership with one oem spring, it would mess up the traction control etc.

my solution? I'm going to the dealership to try to plead my case. Then worse case scenario, I'll buy the right rear oem strut (around 282 dollars) and the shop that did my eibachs would install the new strut without charging labor. 580 (eibach springs, install, and alignment) plus 282 (new oem strut) = a headache. This all better be worth it.

on a side note, the car looks MEAN lowered... pics soon.

possibly of me throwin the defective oem strut through lexus' storefront window too.
Old 07-02-08, 10:45 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

If you go into Lexus with a receipt showing you had the springs installed the day prior, i dont see how they can void your warranty.
Old 07-02-08, 10:46 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

they gave me some b.s. over the phone talking about how i need to roll in there with oem everything, untouched. some crap about performance tests....
Old 07-02-08, 11:01 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey if the one oem strust was 280... why not spend another 220 and get the f-sport bilstein shocks? cost more for the labor again but they are nice

Last edited by fluxx; 07-03-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 11:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at least get the Fsport shocks...
Old 07-02-08, 11:05 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+1

if you gotta replace the shocks, go the extra distance and drop some money on the f-sport bilstein shocks.
Old 07-02-08, 11:21 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

i don't think you guys get it. I have to replace ONE. UNO. "1" strut. it'll cost 280.

I'm not shelling out more money.
Old 07-02-08, 11:26 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badboy513
i don't think you guys get it. I have to replace ONE. UNO. "1" strut. it'll cost 280.

I'm not shelling out more money.
I think what people are telling you is that if 1 strut is costing you 280 dollars why not upgrade to the F-sports shocks all 4 for 582 dollars parts alone from sewell lexus? But I understand where you're coming from...that'll never end.
Old 07-02-08, 11:31 PM
MCL1
Pole Position

i get the 280 for one and 582 for 4 strut argument but let me reiterate:

280 and the shop that installed my springs will replace that one defective strut for free.

if i spend more (more than I wanna spend already) for the 4 struts, then i'll have to pay 300+ more for labor to have those idiots at lexus or the other shop put all 4 new struts on. get it?

I originally was quoted 580 for new springs/installation total. i'm at 860 now, after buying one more OEM strut that I really shouldn't have to pay for.

I'M NOT paying 580 for springs/install, then 582 for 4 new struts plus labor. this is all b.s.

my orignal intent in posting this was too see what other poeple would have done/what I CAN do with this whole warranty being voided b.s. I don't want anymore recommendations for me to spend more money on stuff i don't want.
Old 07-02-08, 11:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ok, ok, settle down. i think we all get the idea that you don't want to spend any more money than absolutely necessary.

assuming you have the stock springs back on the car, take it back in, and get your defective stock strut replaced by the dealership at no cost to you.

if you already have the springs installed on the bad strut, then you'll obviously have to purchase a brand new strut.

either way, after you get your defective strut taken care of, find another place to get your springs + install + alignment, because you can get your springs + install + alignment done much cheaper elsewhere - not necessarily at the same location.

($280 for install? $300 for springs? can you say "rip-off"?)
Old 07-02-08, 11:54 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

iunno how much it would cost you to put oem back in, then take it to another dealership and try warrenty, unless that dealership put a note on ur vin in the lexus system. GL. $580 is alot for installing springs and allignment.
there is a DIY on the the forum.
I got lifetime allignment at firestone for $175. I already had 3 alligments done.

if not them thats an expensive drop. GL
Old 07-02-08, 11:54 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

LOL. someone got a little bit of attitude.
Old 07-03-08, 12:02 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see this is what you get for posting on a internet forum people will give you feed back either take it with stride or leave it. people are just trying to help and weigh out your options. I think that the shop who did your install should of seen the leakage before they have done work on the car, they should of notify you. They should at least put it back to oem and let you get it fixed, then come back for install. What ever shop you are at is overcharging you something that would take them 1 hr to do. Any aftermarket part not put on by the dealer will void your warranty. Its the price you have to pay to mod. Dealer has to do nothing for you if the dont want to. I think if you go in with that case of yours that it was there before they will not help you or replace it under warranty.
Old 07-03-08, 12:22 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Yup

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
I think that the shop who did your install should of seen the leakage before they have done work on the car, they should of notify you. They should at least put it back to oem and let you get it fixed, then come back for install.
i totally i agree...then you could've got that warranty that you want...
Old 07-03-08, 12:44 AM
MCL1
Pole Position

HAHA. sorry. i realized how pissy i was getting. just bent out of shape over all this.

ok here are some clarifying points:

580 was this: springs 270ish, install 200, alignment 80, so i can't add. it's 560. i went with them because other places were quoting me 450-500 and that includes the lexus dealership.

The place i went to that was installing the springs DID contact me before installing the spring. the problem was that they already put on the 1st 3 springs.

So, another clarifying point: I had them finish the install. I have all 4 eibachs on including the defective oem strut. otherwise, i would have screwed them/gotten screwed if they had to take the time to replace the others back to oem. I would have just had to come back again and have them reinstall the eibachs.

this is all so confusing, I know. but i do appreciate the insight and help... when people aren't just simplying saying "blah blah blah, go spend double for stuff you didn't want to buy"

Quick Reply: NEW car, found out had problem but voided warranty at the same time...