IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do I need to have dealership do oil change for warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 07:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Ok, this is Killin me... I had to get my Oil changed at Valvoline Yesterday, and they did a great job, but I still cannot get the Oil MTC required warning to reset, I have read all the FAQ's and I can't get it to work, Ive been trying for over an hour!

I've tried many different varieties of this.. (foot off the brake on all attempts)

Hold down trip reset button, hit start button twice, keep holding trip reset... nothing happens...

Or

Hit start once hold down trip reset, then continue holding trip reset and hit start again, Ive held the trip button until my finger felt like it was going to fall off soo many times.. what am I doing wrong?? anyone?
I'm not sure if it matters, but I always start the procedure with the odometer set to show the total vehicle mileage (not the trip A or trip B mode).

Then, starting with the car completely turned off, I hold the trip reset button, and click the ignition switch twice with my foot off the brake. You know its working because a row of dashes goes across the display.
Old 08-20-08, 10:04 AM
juicius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus also keeps a master list of service done on your car so doing it all at the dealership allows you to print the list out if you ever sell the car and show it to prospective buyers.

I used to do my oil change and other minor maintenance but at some point, your free time becomes more valuable than those few bucks difference.
Old 08-20-08, 01:13 PM
sdub74
Rookie

On my old Ford (I was young and didn't know the ways of the world yet), the tranny went out while the car was under warranty. I did all the oil changes myself, so there was no record of the maintenance being done. Because their records showed I hadn't maintained the vehicle properly, they told me that they wouldn't replace the tranny under warranty.

Now, I take everything to the dealer to get done. I used to even have them stamp my little maintenance book, but now since it's in the computer, I don't bother, since they have a record of the maintenance being done.

As far as the +$100 oil change, they do alot more than just change the oil, they do all the inspections, check the brakes, tires, clean the air filter, ect, all of which they charge you through the nose for. When I was in for the 40k service, they wanted to charge me something like $30 to clean the cabin air filter, I said no thanks, and he subtracted it from the total. A straight oil change at my dealer is only something like $50, they charge labor for doing everything above and beyond that.
Old 08-20-08, 01:20 PM
shesells
Driver School Candidate

if you find out let me know. my car started when i held the button down (without the brake pressed)
Old 08-20-08, 01:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sdub74
On my old Ford (I was young and didn't know the ways of the world yet), the tranny went out while the car was under warranty. I did all the oil changes myself, so there was no record of the maintenance being done. Because their records showed I hadn't maintained the vehicle properly, they told me that they wouldn't replace the tranny under warranty.

Now, I take everything to the dealer to get done. I used to even have them stamp my little maintenance book, but now since it's in the computer, I don't bother, since they have a record of the maintenance being done.

As far as the +$100 oil change, they do alot more than just change the oil, they do all the inspections, check the brakes, tires, clean the air filter, ect, all of which they charge you through the nose for. When I was in for the 40k service, they wanted to charge me something like $30 to clean the cabin air filter, I said no thanks, and he subtracted it from the total. A straight oil change at my dealer is only something like $50, they charge labor for doing everything above and beyond that.

What the Ford dealership did, of course, was illegal. Now, if your -transmission- required some kind of regular service you could offer no proof of they'd have had a better case.

For most scheduled maintenance they're not really doing anything useful besides the oil change... all of the "inspections" are generally on parts that would also be under warranty anyway, and they're going to mention if they notice any obvious problem while doing the oil change even if you didn't pay them to inspect anything.
NOT mentioning it would be a liability issue.
Old 08-20-08, 03:00 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you can DIY as long as you can prove proper maintenance is done......

oil change is not $100......I got mine done for ~$60 with a loaner car......
Old 08-21-08, 05:52 AM
MARINE
Driver

One question that irks me.The Manufacturers sticker says the first two services are included. Thats 5k and 10k. why is it when i visit the dealer only one is free? I brought 4 Lexus in 3 years. Never really questioned this as to why I remained silent.... Just forgot at the time lol
Old 08-21-08, 06:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MARINE
One question that irks me.The Manufacturers sticker says the first two services are included. Thats 5k and 10k. why is it when i visit the dealer only one is free? I brought 4 Lexus in 3 years. Never really questioned this as to why I remained silent.... Just forgot at the time lol
The -1- k and the 5k are free. That's two services.
Old 08-21-08, 06:54 AM
MARINE
Driver

Ah, me so dumb
Old 08-21-08, 06:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,410 Posts

There was a 1k service free? Damn. That would have been at the end of the first week I owned it.
Old 08-22-08, 04:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There was a 1k service free? Damn. That would have been at the end of the first week I owned it.
hehehe...yup...nothing useful at that service unless you have a problem or want your LPS done then though....for me I had the LPS done and I also had a loose dead pedal so they replaced that too.
Old 08-22-08, 05:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The -1- k and the 5k are free. That's two services.
What are the 1K and 5K services for? Over here our first service is at 10K.

I remember back in the 70s having to take a Ford in for a 1500 mile first service but I've never heard of it since.
Old 08-22-08, 07:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, as I said, the 1k isn't much... can get your LPS done then, and tell em if you have any problems...otherwise they just look it over and do a test drive.

5k is your first oil change plus the normal BS service stuff (We inspect a bunch of stuff that's never wrong and that we'll charge you $300 for once your free service is used up kinda stuff)
Old 08-22-08, 01:46 PM
yamkoo1002
Driver

DIY, its the best way to know you changed your oil. I have heard horror stories about jiffy lube and places like that that only change out the oil and not the filter! Changing your own oil should not void your warranty!