IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do I need to have dealership do oil change for warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 09:14 AM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to have dealership do oil change for warranty.

This is my first Lexus. My previous Audi and current BMW always had free oil changes using synthetic oil. I have heard from friends with Lexus (Is the plural of Lexus, Lexi?) that they have been charged in excess of $100 for oil changes from the dealer and they did not use full synthetic oil. I have a great Valvoline oil change center that have I used for oil change that I have done between the manufactures recommended mileage and get full synthetic oil . Can I get my oil changed there, document it and still maintain my warranty. Conversely, can I bring in my own synthetic oil (Mobil 1 or similar) and request that they use it. Alternatively can I request that the dealer use full synthetic, which obviously will cost even more. What are my options?
Old 07-03-08, 09:27 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to all the answers. on my second oil change i took it to my mechanic with syn oil and filter. he charged me $20. He even broke 2 filter wrenches in the process. I should not void your warranty.
Old 07-03-08, 10:08 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I am sure if you bring your own oil to your Lexus dealership, they'll use it for your service (then they can only charge you for labor). If you go have it done somewhere else, just make sure you keep all documentation. With proper proof of documentation, they shouldn't be able to void your warranty. I bought some Mobile 1 at Costco for a good price. I am going to have my dealership put it in my car at my 5k serivce.
Old 07-03-08, 10:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats strange I'm only charged $50 here for conventional oil change at my lexus dealer, I even get a carwash too. I refuse to let some schmoe at Jiffy Lube do it in an attempt to save $20, not worth it.
Old 07-03-08, 10:59 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
thats strange I'm only charged $50 here for conventional oil change at my lexus dealer, I even get a carwash too. I refuse to let some schmoe at Jiffy Lube do it in an attempt to save $20, not worth it.
I would not have a schmoe at Jiffy lube do it either. BUT I have had only very professional experiences at my local Vavoline oil change shop. Have taken my Audi TT and S4 there as well as my sons 350z and my 335i. Never any problems. You can watch if you like and they have a verbal checklist that they go over before letting the car go. Can't see where Lexus would do it any better. PLUS, I believe in FULL synthetic oil.

Last edited by DrGP; 07-03-08 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 12:46 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

No you dont need the dealership to do your oil changes or any maintenance for warranty. If something breaks and the car is under warranty, the will fix it.

Dealerships make money from Lexus Corp everytime they do any warranty work so its in their best interest to do anything that is covered under warranty.
Old 08-16-08, 12:17 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

I have to go out of town and I am going to Valvoline tomorrow for an Oil change, my light is on.. Will they know how to turn the Oil Chnage light off?? Its driving me nuts!!
Old 08-16-08, 12:35 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Will they know how to turn the Oil Chnage light off?? Its driving me nuts!!
Probably not, you'll have to do it yourself.
Old 08-16-08, 02:19 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

I used to drive an old beater, and I thought it would be okay taking it to Jiffy Lube if I watched them to make sure they did the work. They changed the fluids, sure but the last time there, they left oily handprints on the center of the steering wheel, hood and driver door. Never again. I never was able to completely get all the oil off the steering wheel. Don't take a nice car to a speedy oil change type place.
Old 08-16-08, 08:19 AM
ennjay
Rookie

What about those who are mechanically inclined to change their own oil? Do we just show the dealership some written proof stating the date last changed? What is sufficient? Obviously there isn't going to be a receipt of labor other than the parts.

Any thoughts to this?
Old 08-16-08, 08:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
I have to go out of town and I am going to Valvoline tomorrow for an Oil change, my light is on.. Will they know how to turn the Oil Chnage light off?? Its driving me nuts!!
Let me also add that the procedure for resetting the light is in the FAQ post stickied at the top of this forum.
Old 08-16-08, 08:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ennjay
What about those who are mechanically inclined to change their own oil? Do we just show the dealership some written proof stating the date last changed? What is sufficient? Obviously there isn't going to be a receipt of labor other than the parts.

Any thoughts to this?
I maintain a log with the date and mileage of all service work I perform myself. That, along with receipts for parts and fuids, should be sufficient.
Old 08-17-08, 11:31 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Ok, this is Killin me... I had to get my Oil changed at Valvoline Yesterday, and they did a great job, but I still cannot get the Oil MTC required warning to reset, I have read all the FAQ's and I can't get it to work, Ive been trying for over an hour!

I've tried many different varieties of this.. (foot off the brake on all attempts)

Hold down trip reset button, hit start button twice, keep holding trip reset... nothing happens...

Or

Hit start once hold down trip reset, then continue holding trip reset and hit start again, Ive held the trip button until my finger felt like it was going to fall off soo many times.. what am I doing wrong?? anyone?
Old 08-18-08, 02:30 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

no your dealer won't void your warranty over an oil change. they'll only void it if someone severely breaks thats your fault. however if you did put the wrong oil in there and it causes severe damage, they MAY void it but that's a given. as long as they can report it to lexus corporate that seems plausible then they can fix it under warranty. besides the dealers only care that they make their money and if they do then whether charging you or lexus corporate will give them the same amount.

and going to a good dealer will be better since they'll put more effort into giving good service for their rep. my dealer has won many awards for being a good dealer and especially their service so they get their money AND good customer feedback. win win situation
Old 08-18-08, 07:29 AM
Gr8Dane
Rookie

I brought my own oil in. It cost me about $35 for the oil at the store (5qt jug and 2 1qt bottles), it think it was about $10 a quart at the dealership. I take it to the dealership and they change the oil, check everything else and wash the car for $25. Not bad considering I pay $25 for a car wash anyway. You also get free drinks and cookies while you wait, and get to walk around the lot and look at cars (IS-F ).

Quick Reply: Do I need to have dealership do oil change for warranty.